The FTSE

apples10 said:
Well I'm up for the challenge, but must add that I'm off from Friday and will be skiing over the New Year, so won't be giving many updates. I can see DoubleSix saying I'm swerving already!!! :LOL: :LOL:

Any way on the Ftse :-

This mornings move is very positive taking the index very close to the Dec 7th high at 5574. I've been impressed recently by the 20-day average holding the market, in fact I said as much last week (go on, check back Double!! - it was Wednesday or Thursday I think). The upside momentum (I watch the 14-day RSI to monitor this) remains in place. Overall, still OK.

For intra-day Futures trading the open at 77.5 was above the R1 level, it was positive that the subsequent consolidation managed to hold above this R1 level at 70.5 (low so far today at 72.5). With the intra-day move today only being 10.5 points so far I would suggest there is every chance of an upwards push through the day up to R2 at 88.5 and most probably even higher.

If this changes through the day, I will try and post.

rgds

Think we'll call that 1-0 to me.

The balls in DoubleSix's court now, lets see what he can do . . . . .. . :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

The high was 5590, the close was 5587 and the at 19.00 the cash future was 5575.
Where is this going tomorrow ?

NB: Apples10 - why would you call todays action 1- 0 to you ?

because he's got a competitive streak, I used to be like this, I had to win even if we threw pebbles on the lake. Good for him, as long as he keeps it on the light side.

IMO much better to be humble than competitive in the markets the latter will get you wiped out

Sorry guys,

my ISP has been down and I've been unable to post.

It's now back up, and for what its worth:

The FTSE Thursday, 22nd December 2005

Wednesday's results:

Open: 5547.
Close: 5587, up 39pts.

It went up early in the day and stayed there which didn't do my Short any favours. The DOW's remarkable leap early on helped the FTSE maintain its position until close of play. Tomorrow, seeing as the DOW has stumbled back down the stairs, as it were, the FTSE may be a little too high for its own good.

Range: 5547 - 5590.

Last 5 trading days: up 66pts.

On the Month: up 164pts.

Dow: 10,833, up 28pts. It hit the 900 mark and then tumbled. It was due for a rise but hitting the 900 bench mark from a starting block of 805 must have un-nerved the most dedicated of Bulls. What will it do tomorrow? There's still a good chance that it will rise, and if it does, I don't see it clipping the 900 point again.

Last 5 trading days: down 50pts.

On the month: up 27pt. Still well behind the FTSE's performance and well under par for the month.

News items of note:

LONDON (ShareCast) - 'Interest rate cut hopes and bumper gains from miners and BAE Systems had London's leading index just off a four-and-a-half year high, while Wall Street provided extra support.
The release this morning of minutes from the latest Bank of England Monetary Policy Committee meeting raised hopes of a rate cut next year. The committee voted 8 to 1 vote in favour of keeping rates at 4.5%, although a surprise dissenter argued for a quarter point cut.' - This good news creamed my Short. Ar well!

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Wednesday's had no clear indication, but my interpretation was towards a fall. Thursday's, no precise indication for the day but they all state that the FTSE is top heavy. This means a potential early dip, thereafter, who knows.

Companies reporting:

WILSON BOWDEN

Economic Data:

GDP 3rd estimate, for the quarter and the year.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the DOW ended the day on a positive, but it's still well behind for the month and should move a little further upward; the miners have been one of the stalwarts of the FTSE's weekly rise and if they stumble so will the FTSE; charts, again they are not clear, so tomorrow's early and lunch time Company News should dictate the FTSE's direction.

Early gut feeling: I still fancy an early drop before a minor rise.

Will I bet? I'll wait until the early morning News seeing as I'm still rubbing cream into my burnt fingers.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

Yours

UK

ukhero said:
Sorry guys,

Will I bet? I'll wait until the early morning News seeing as I'm still rubbing cream into my burnt fingers.

UK

Hi UK,

don't bother. Nothing going on, no liquidity. FTSE H6 trading range 15 points so far, now in middle of that range, doesn't look like it's going to shift out of this today.

There was a 14 point range back on 13th September (Z5), average last week was 44.7.

rgds

The miners have dipped, Rio Tinto [RIO.L] down 9 and Xstrtata [XTA.L] down 28, but not enough by far to cause any dramatic FTSE movement, and on the upside we have Wilson Bowden [WLB.L] up 77pts and BAE sys [BA.L] up 21pts. In all, and I agree with Apples, the market is pretty much at evens.

UK

The FTSE Friday, 23rd December 2005

Thursday's results:

Open: 5587.
Close: 5597, up 9pts. Will it leap over tomorrow? It's one hell of a high fence!

Range: 5584 - 5599.

Last 5 trading days: up 102pts. Over par.

On the Month: up 174pts. About right for the month.

Dow: 10,889, up 55pts. I believe this market still has some Xmas spirit left and all being well will rise again tomorrow.

Last 5 trading days: down 8pts.

On the month: up 83pts. Well behind on the FTSE's performance and still under par for the month.

News items of note:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - 'Richmond Federal Reserve Bank President Jeffrey Lacker said on Thursday the U.S. economy appeared on track for a sustained expansion, but cautioned the Fed might need to fine-tune interest rates over time.'

LONDON (ShareCast) - Britain's economy is heading for its worst yearly performance since 1992 with its current trade balance also hitting a new record low.

The UK's current account deficit widened to £10.2bn in the third quarter of 2005, according to the Office of National Statistics. Large foreign companies repatriating profits got blamed for the deficit. The shortfall compares with a £1.36bn gap in the second quarter and, at the equivalent of 3.4% of GDP, is the highest since records began. Losses associated with the US hurricanes this year also contributed to the record deficit. The insurance costs related to Katrina helped reduce the UK's services trade surplus by £2.1bn compared with the second quarter.

Separately, the ONS confirmed that the UK economy dawdled in the third quarter with revised figure for GDP growth unchanged from the initial estimate at 0.4%. Annual growth is now running at 1.7%. Gordon Brown recently cut his UK growth estimates from 3-3.5% to 1.75% and economists said the weak GDP figure today could mean more interest rate cuts early in 2006.

Services output improved slightly to 0.7%, up from 0.6%, but business investment continues to fall steadily, which is a worrying sign say economists. Industrial production, around 20% of GDP, fell an unrevised 0.6% in the three months to September due to a sharp drop in mining and quarrying. Manufacturing output rose by 0.3%.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Thursday's had no precise indication but they did state that the FTSE was top heavy. Friday's, no clear indication.

Companies reporting:

None.

Economic Data:

None.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the DOW ended the day on a positive and it looks strong enough to carry on its Xmas rally; no company or economic news; charts have no signals one way or another; the market will move predominantly on the days financial News.

Early gut feeling: none.

Will I bet? Nope! I'm at work tomorrow so I'll take a back seat and watch when I can.

Historical data:

Since 1984, the FTSE has risen 15 times on the last trading day before Xmas.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

Yours

UK

Ftse.

The Ftse has had a good run since Oct, up 3%, and has run into resistance at 5600. I see it rolling over to 5400, possibly 5200, before going for 6000. I am short.

ukhero said:
Any FTSE lovers?

I'm a follower and Spead Better of the FTSE. I'm looking for similar guys / girls who are mature in their understanding of whether the FTSE is going up or down and why.

I value an adult input.

Yours

UK

David Goddard said:
The Ftse has had a good run since Oct, up 3%, and has run into resistance at 5600. I see it rolling over to 5400, possibly 5200, before going for 6000. I am short.

Welcome to the forum Dave,

I think 5200 is a little brave, but hay-ho who knows.

The News on the High street in regards to the retailers doesn't sound too good. Even over the top discounts are failing to provide the pre-Christmas shortfall.

As to the next quarter, I've yet to conclude my study, but so far I'd say there's a good possibility that we may see a slide back down to 5450 by the end of February.

UK

ukhero said:
Welcome to the forum Dave,

I think 5200 is a little brave, but hay-ho who knows.

The News on the High street in regards to the retailers doesn't sound too good. Even over the top discounts are failing to provide the pre-Christmas shortfall.

As to the next quarter, I've yet to conclude my study, but so far I'd say there's a good possibility that we may see a slide back down to 5450 by the end of February.

UK
Really need to see whether the pre- Xmas retail slowdown continues through the post - Xmas Sales before coming to any definitive conclusion !
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/27122005/325/boxing-day-bonanza-follows-slow-week-retail.html

The FTSE Wednesday, 28th December 2005

Friday's results, 23rd December:

Open: 5597.
Close: 5595, down 1.6pts.

At 9pm on Thursday evening, I stood on the flyover at junction 19 on the M1 and watched the masses exit London. I know then that the FTSE would move very little the following day. Not that this observation did me any favours.

Range: 5588 - 5608.

Last 5 trading days: up 64pts. Slightly too heavy for the week.

On the Month: up 172pts. About right for the month.

Dow: 10,883, down 6pts.

Last 5 trading days: up 8pts.

On the month: up 77pts. Still well behind the FTSE's performance and under par for the month by 40pts.

The FTSE was closed on Tuesday but the DOW was open:

DOW: 10777, down 105pts!!! From an early high of 932, it fell and kept on falling. I went short at 789, so I'm trailing 12pts. It's rare for either Indices to drop over 100pts in the week after Christmas but when they have they've recouped the loses over the next two trading days. We'll see.

Too be honest, I didn't expect it. The question to be asked is 'what happens next?'

Last 5 trading days: down 59pts.

On the Month: down 29pts.

News items of note:

LONDON (Reuters) - 'Boxing Day served up a bonanza for retailers, as figures from two independent research firms showed on Tuesday that shopper numbers were up by almost a fifth on last year.
Figures from analysis firm SPSL showed footfall -- the number of people out on high streets and in shopping centres -- was up by 17.3 percent on Boxing Day 2004, although the shopper numbers were down slightly in the week before Christmas.' - My own survey, which entails talking to shop keepers on how its going, both the week before and Boxing day, says otherwise.

Sky Business News - 'Inflation rate slowed more than expected to its weakest rate in five months in November as petrol prices fell. Consumer prices were flat last month, said the Office for National Statistics, bringing the annual inflation rate down two-tenths of a point to 2.1%.That was its weakest level since June and 0.1% less than analysts had predicted. That still leaves it above the Bank of England's 2.0% target but is likely to encourage expectations that inflation has peaked and will not stand in the way of another interest rate cut in the New Year.

Policymakers may also take comfort from news that RPI inflation - on which many wage deals are based - fell to its weakest rate in three years just before the January pay round. The ONS said the biggest CPI (NYSE: CPY - news) downward effect came from transport as petrol prices fell this November compared with rises a year earlier. This took 0.15% off the annual rate. A drop in air fares, particularly on European routes, also had an effect. But tobacco and beer increases contributed to a small rise.' - In all, good news.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Friday's had no clear indication. Wednesday's, as strange as it is, a rise!

Companies reporting:

No data at time of writing.

Economic Data:

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the DOW ended the day on a severe drop and one which will undoubtedly effect the FTSE tomorrow; news is thin on the ground; there is no economic and company data available; historically the FTSE has performed well in the week preceding New Year by approx 25pts.

Early gut feeling: it's worth a small Short based on the DOW's dire performance.

Will I bet? Yup. But all my eggs are on the DOW tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Yours

UK

FYI - the trigger for the drop in the DOW was said to be the a brief inversion of the yield curve - typically bonds and stocks have a small correlation but this is once exception - the yield curve also inverted briefly in EU. An inversion is when short term rates > long term rates - generally a sign of an expected slow down. Given this I would not be suprised to see a significant correction in the FTSE, the question is when!

ukhero said:

UK

umm 5600 didn't prove much resistance on the FTSE....DOW futures ticking up quite strongly..still holding the DOW short? I have a small short on the FTSE around 5600 and might close it out and look to retrade thrusday/friday.

downbytheriver7 said:
umm 5600 didn't prove much resistance on the FTSE....DOW futures ticking up quite strongly..still holding the DOW short? I have a small short on the FTSE around 5600 and might close it out and look to retrade thrusday/friday.

Not Short, Long!

The Dow is dragging its legs today when I so hoped it would run. Ar well!

Still holding it.

UK

ukhero said:
Not Short, Long!

I went short at 789

UK

Guess a miss type!

How much window dressing do you think will contribute to an uptick this week? I am going to have a look at historic January data and see what it reveals...

downbytheriver7 said:
Guess a miss type!

How much window dressing do you think will contribute to an uptick this week? I am going to have a look at historic January data and see what it reveals...

I've looked over my post.

You are quite correct I wrote 'Short.'

Apologies.

As it stands, having added to the LONG, its marking time. Grrrrrrrrr!!!

UK

The FTSE Thursday, 29th December 2005

Wednesday's results:
Open: 5595.
Close: 5622, up 27pts. Little and no resistance at 600. Interesting!

Range: 5591 - 5622.

Last 5 trading days: up 83pts. Too heavy.

On the Month: up 199pts. Overly strong for this point in the month.

Dow: 10,796, up a weak 18pts.

Last 5 trading days: down 9pts.

On the month: down 10pts. Still way behind the FTSE, but some say it's expected considering the blistering performance in November.

News items of note:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - 'It has long been one of the most accurate and closely watched harbingers of the U.S. business cycle, but now that it is signaling economic danger ahead, it is being widely dismissed. The "it" in this case is the U.S. Treasury yield curve -- the spread between short- and long-term interest rates. On Tuesday, the spread between yields on two-year and 10-year Treasury notes turned negative for the first time in five years, a classic signal of slower economic growth ahead. On Wednesday, it stayed essentially flat.

But many economists, including Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan, argue the circumstances behind this week's inversion mean history may not be a helpful guide.' - Even so, it shook, and may still rattle, the thinning Bulls.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Wednesday's stated a rise, and I didn't believe it! Thursday, no clear indication from two separate charts, but one of them does indicate an early dip, thereafter, again, no clear indication.

Companies reporting:

None.

Economic Data:

UK Gfk Consumer Confidence
USA jobless claims.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the DOW struggled to make any decent headway compared to yesterdays dynamic drop, and its moderate gain by the end of play will not be inspiring the FTSE; no company reports; economic data is not enough to send the market into a dizzy spell or cause it to sprint towards the 700 mark; charts have no clearly defined direction; last two trading days before the end of the year - which historically errs towards a rise; the early morning financial News will most likely be the deciding factor.

Early gut feeling: None.

Will I bet? Still holding onto my Long with the DOW.

Yours

UK

Ftse 100

I was stopped out at 5620 this morning with my March Ftse short, bought at 5604. I will watch with interest on Thursday and Friday to see how high it goes, before getting in with another!

ukhero said:

Friday's results, 23rd December:

Open: 5597.
Close: 5595, down 1.6pts.

At 9pm on Thursday evening, I stood on the flyover at junction 19 on the M1 and watched the masses exit London. I know then that the FTSE would move very little the following day. Not that this observation did me any favours.

Range: 5588 - 5608.

Last 5 trading days: up 64pts. Slightly too heavy for the week.

On the Month: up 172pts. About right for the month.

Dow: 10,883, down 6pts.

Last 5 trading days: up 8pts.

On the month: up 77pts. Still well behind the FTSE's performance and under par for the month by 40pts.

The FTSE was closed on Tuesday but the DOW was open:

DOW: 10777, down 105pts!!! From an early high of 932, it fell and kept on falling. I went short at 789, so I'm trailing 12pts. It's rare for either Indices to drop over 100pts in the week after Christmas but when they have they've recouped the loses over the next two trading days. We'll see.

Too be honest, I didn't expect it. The question to be asked is 'what happens next?'

Last 5 trading days: down 59pts.

On the Month: down 29pts.

News items of note:

LONDON (Reuters) - 'Boxing Day served up a bonanza for retailers, as figures from two independent research firms showed on Tuesday that shopper numbers were up by almost a fifth on last year.
Figures from analysis firm SPSL showed footfall -- the number of people out on high streets and in shopping centres -- was up by 17.3 percent on Boxing Day 2004, although the shopper numbers were down slightly in the week before Christmas.' - My own survey, which entails talking to shop keepers on how its going, both the week before and Boxing day, says otherwise.

Sky Business News - 'Inflation rate slowed more than expected to its weakest rate in five months in November as petrol prices fell. Consumer prices were flat last month, said the Office for National Statistics, bringing the annual inflation rate down two-tenths of a point to 2.1%.That was its weakest level since June and 0.1% less than analysts had predicted. That still leaves it above the Bank of England's 2.0% target but is likely to encourage expectations that inflation has peaked and will not stand in the way of another interest rate cut in the New Year.

Policymakers may also take comfort from news that RPI inflation - on which many wage deals are based - fell to its weakest rate in three years just before the January pay round. The ONS said the biggest CPI (NYSE: CPY - news) downward effect came from transport as petrol prices fell this November compared with rises a year earlier. This took 0.15% off the annual rate. A drop in air fares, particularly on European routes, also had an effect. But tobacco and beer increases contributed to a small rise.' - In all, good news.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Friday's had no clear indication. Wednesday's, as strange as it is, a rise!

Companies reporting:

Economic Data:

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the DOW ended the day on a severe drop and one which will undoubtedly effect the FTSE tomorrow; news is thin on the ground; there is no economic and company data available; historically the FTSE has performed well in the week preceding New Year by approx 25pts.

Early gut feeling: it's worth a small Short based on the DOW's dire performance.

Yours

UK

all you have to do is trade with the trend.

all this shorting business trying to pick tops will give you ulcers.

trading is easier than that when a market is trending.

and trends always last longer than you think