The FTSE 2006

As I write.

the Nikkei is open and running, up 303pts @ 15644.

Good clue here for the western markets direction.

Lets wait and see!

UK

expiry day tomorrow...

am still long from last friday at 5711...

due to reverse at today's close and go short..

FC

out of long at 5691 for -20...

short at 5691 now... holding til next thursday

fc

Last edited:
FC,

we appear to trade very similar positions, I too went short on ftse cash today, but at a slightly better price, I see 5750 acting as solid resistance and I can also see a retest of recent lows early next week

The FTSE, Friday 20th January 2006

Thursday's results:
Open: 5663.
Close: 5693, up 29pts.
Range: 5663 - 5710.

Last 5 trading days: down 42pts.

On the month: up 75pts or 1.33%.

Thursday's Dow:
10,880, up 25pts.

Last 5 trading days: down 163pts

On the month: up 162pts

News items of note:

NEW YORK (Reuters) - 'Oil prices jumped over $1 to near $67 a barrel on Thursday following threats that al Qaeda was preparing attacks on the United States and supply concerns from crude oil exporters Iran and Nigeria. Dealers ignored bearish weekly U.S. data that showed oil inventories piling up and focussed instead on the potential for a major supply outage. U.S. crude oil settled $1.10 higher to $66.83 a barrel after hitting $66.95, the highest level in nearly four months, in Thursday activity. London Brent crude settled at $65.23, up $1.04. "Question marks over Nigeria and Iran and the effects of cold weather in Russia, which have reduced exports, are providing a lot of support," said Christopher Bellew of Bache Financial.

Analysts warned that any prolonged supply disruption could wipe out healthy inventories very quickly. Just over 220,000 barrels per day (bpd), or 10 percent of national output, of Nigerian oil production has already been shut in following militant attacks. The militants have threatened to target all oil companies operating in the country, the world's eighth largest exporter.

At the same time, there is no sign of an easy resolution to the dispute between the West and Iran. No. 4 oil exporter Iran faces referral to the U.N. Security Council over concerns it is seeking to build an atomic bomb. Iran has denied the charge and analysts fear it might hold back crude exports in response to any punishment from the West.'

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Thursday's charts conflicted between a neutral and a moderate rise. Friday's are debatable, but err towards a drop.

Companies reporting:

Aberdeen Asset Managmt
Wolves and Dudley [expecting good results]

Economic Data:

09:00 UK Retail Sales Dec

09:30 UK Public Finances (PSNCR bn) Dec

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: all the major markets are up but well short of there positions prior to the Nigeria situation; the news report in regards to the al Qaeda threat to the West may cause an additional ripple; charts favor a drop; economic data may cause a stir.

Areas to watch:
Oil.
Gold.
Nikkei.

Early gut feeling: neutral.

Will I bet? I have a feeling that the market may stagnate early morning, so I intend to sit back and watch.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

Yours

UK

mark twain uk said:
FC,

we appear to trade very similar positions, I too went short on ftse cash today, but at a slightly better price, I see 5750 acting as solid resistance and I can also see a retest of recent lows early next week

Closed my short last night for a small gain and looks tempting from here 5725-5750 with 5750 being the stop. In the short term the FTSE looks to be outperforming most indices, interesting.

there was NO- I repeat -NO manipulation of the index this morning during the auction .Honest, I swear on my hampster's grave.

Windlesham1 said:
there was NO- I repeat -NO manipulation of the index this morning during the auction .Honest, I swear on my hampster's grave.
Don't understand the point you are making.
The EDSP was 5730.5, which was only around 5pts above where the Cash market was at 10.30am !

lol i know.. but they did take it up nicely in order to bring it down 60 points though..

they do it every month....

The FTSE, Monday 23th January 2006

Friday's results:
Open: 5693.
Close: 5,672.40 (0.37%).
Range: 5666 - 5729.

Last 5 trading days: down 39pts.

On the month: up 54pts or 0.96%.

Friday's Dow:
10,667.39 (1.96%)

Last 5 trading days: down 294pts

On the month: down 51pts, and a reversal from being up162pts.

News items of note:

Reuters - 'Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah arrived in Beijing on Sunday for his first ever state visit and analysts said China wants to draw closer to the Middle Eastern oil power without challenging Saudi ties to Washington.' - Interesting!

ITN - 'Drivers are paying nearly 10p more per litre for petrol and diesel than last year, it has been revealed. According to the AA Motoring Trust, the UK average petrol price in 2006 is 89.35p a litre compared with 79.64p at the start of 2005. Diesel is now an average of 93.54p a litre compared with 84.78p 12 months ago.

With the average private car travelling around 9,000 miles a year, drivers are paying around £340 more a year for fuel. However, the UK year-on-year fuel price increase of about 12 per cent is lower than in some countries.

In the US, where fuel is much cheaper than in Europe, drivers are now paying an average of 35.27p a litre for petrol. This is an increase of 32 per cent more than a year ago. - Ouch!

'Petrol has risen 34 per cent to 72.04p a litre in Greece, Germany and Belgium have seen petrol prices rise 16 per cent in a year. Spain has had a 15 per cent rise.'

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Friday's were debatable, but erred towards a drop. Mondays, again they favour a drop.

Companies reporting:

Barratt Developments
Dawson Holdings
IG Group
O2
Wolseley

Economic Data:

None for the UK
15:00hrs [GMT] US Leading Indicators

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the DOW's had one of its biggest falls for the past three years, there may be some additional effects early morning for the FTSE; charts still favour a drop; no major market news as yet, and company and economic news is tame.

Areas to watch:

Oil, Gold and the miners. The Nikkei early morning.

Early gut feeling: edging towards a drop.

Will I bet? I'm off work this week so I have plenty of time to study the markets. All my positions have been taken out by there respective stop gaps so I'm sitting cash heavy. The question I'm asking myself is, 'when will the markets turn, if at all, and is it still worth going short.'

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

Yours

UK

Not too late to short but...

I am looking for around 5670-80 entry and stop at 5700 for a short again on the FTSE, similar story with DAX and CAC otherwise will be looking for some tempting mid week long entry point. I don't believe the FTSE will get off as lightly as this morning suggests, US market open will either be a false bounce or an ugly open worth buying.

I feel the FTSE may get down to resistance around 5600 first and bounce around there for a while. Obviously, as you say, a lot will depend on what happens with the Dow over thenext day or two - interesting week coming up.

The FTSE, Tuesday 24th January 2006

Monday's results:
Open: 5672.
Close: 5,660, down 11pts (0.20%).
Range: 5625 - 5672.

Last 5 trading days: down 80pts.

On the month: up 22pts or 0.75%.

Monday's Dow:
10,688, up 21pts [0.20%].

Last 5 trading days: down 269pts

On the month: down 30pts.

News items of note:

The Telegraph - by Sophie Brodie. - 'Asda, the UK's second largest grocer, which is owned by US giant Wal-Mart, is kicking off another round of supermarket price wars with a £100m cutting spree.

Items affected will range from "tomatoes to televisions, biscuits to beer, rugby shirts to Richard and Judy paperbacks". - Good news for the consumer, bad news for Tesco.

Yahoo News - 'The International Atomic Energy Agency's board of governors will meet Feb. 2 to discuss whether to refer Iran to the Security Council after it broke U.N. seals at a uranium enrichment plant and said it was resuming nuclear research after a two-year freeze.

Iran exports roughly 2.5 million barrels per day — 1 million barrels more than current excess production capacity worldwide.

Oil jumped $1.52 to settle at $68.35 a barrel on Friday, the highest closing price since Sept. 1, just days after Hurricane Katrina made landfall.

Crude oil prices reached a record high of $70.85 a barrel on Aug. 30.'

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Mondays favoured a drop. Tuesdays are not clear but edge towards a weak rise.

Companies reporting:

BHP Billiton
JP Morgan Indian Inv
London Scottish Bank
Vodafone

Economic Data:
11:00 UK CBI Industrial Trends for Jan.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the DOW bounced back a little today but it failed to lift the FTSE to any degree; charts favour a weak rise; no major news items as of yet; company and economic news is tame.

Areas to watch:

Oil and gas.

Early gut feeling: neutral

Will I bet? I'm considering a Long and capping it at 10pts.

Yours

UK

The FTSE, Wednesday 25th January 2006

Tuesday's results:
Open: 5660
Close: 5,633, down 27pts (0.48%).
Range: 5630 - 5679.

Last 5 trading days: down 66pts.

On the month: up 15pts or 0.27%.

Tuesday's Dow:
10,712, up 23pts [0.22%].

Last 5 trading days: down 178pts

On the month: down 6pts.

News items of note:

No major items at time of writing.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Tuesdays was unclear but edged towards a weak rise. Wednesday's support a moderate rise.

Companies reporting:
Antofagasta
Northern Rock
Prudential

Economic Data:
09:30 UK Bank of England Minutes
09:30 UK GDP (1st Estimate)

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the FTSE largely ignored the DOW's advance today and one must wonder exactly where it's headed; charts favour a rise; no major news items as of yet; company and economic news is tame.

Early gut feeling: a rise.

Will I bet? Gone Long. Even so, I'm not happy with the markets performance; is this profit taking? Is this a major slide? So much unpredictability and ambiguity. Tomorrow, Friday, and the last two two days of the month, according to historical data and statistics, should prove a marathon of a rally. And I'm betting on it!

Ever had that feeling that your heads locked in a guillotine? You eye the onlookers with a permissive glance, and looking up you holler, 'it ain't greased right!' As if...

Yours

UK

Ftse

Well I have taken off my short hat for now and have today nibbled on the long side, target 5700 at which point things will look interesting from both the long and short side.

well out of that

downbytheriver7 said:
Well I have taken off my short hat for now and have today nibbled on the long side, target 5700 at which point things will look interesting from both the long and short side.

Out of the long and looking for a lower high i.e. below 5729 for the next short position possibly around 5705-5715.