The Coin Flip

Do you get an alert when someone posts up your name or do you just lurk the lulz while pretending to be above them for commercial reasons, Charts?

If you'd have called him 'hare' in your response and he responded then you have a smoking gun..........

Epic fail in using entrapment......

Intradaybill, Where is your answer? You are a hollow sweatbag, and not a mathematician.

Do you expect anyone serious to answer you? Where is your counter-argument? You sound panicked to me. Keep tossing coins. Bye and do not bother. There is nothing for me to prove here, just stating different poinions.

Attachments

• sweatbag.png
    sweatbag.png
    168.4 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
I told you guy a month or so ago that 'random entry' would be a common subject soon and there's already been quite a few threads on it. It's the new 'pin bar'.
I could sense it. Like the change in the smell of the air before a storm.

Thats why I haven'y posted in this thread.
Its getting blown out of all proportion now.

Coin flips are:
A good strating point for automation.
A good starting point for discretionary.
There are also better methods (and worse) depending on the individual.

For me, "coin flip" is simply a euphemism for the random aspect of trading.
The random aspect I refer to is trade outcome.
You will only ever know the outcome of a trade when you close it,
not when you open it.

Do you expect anyone serious to answer you? Where is your counter-argument? You sound panicked to me. Keep tossing coins. Bye and do not bother. There is nothing for me to prove here, just stating different poinions.

I sincerely apologise, IB. I'm honestly not even interested in the original argument, i don't know why i bother.:love:

It is interesting that the charts produced by random coin flips have all the "patterns" that technical analysis ascribes meaning/significance to (try the tool someone provided a link to and generate a few with say 10,000 flips or so and check them out for yourself). I see support lines, flags, triangles, rectangles, etc., as well as "breakouts" from these that all look oh so confirming of TA theory. Except...it's just a sequence of independent random events with equal odds of up vs. down and equal distance price shift per event. So all meaning and significance is a figment of our imagination. What leads us to believe a stock price chart is any different? When you really think about price evolution reflecting the buy/sell behavior of large number of independent traders making independent decisions, it's not hard to see why the two would be so similar.

I first encountered this when I saw such a coin flip graph in Ralph Vince's "Portfolio Management Formulas" quite a long time ago and was stunned by how much it looked like a stock chart with expected "price patterns". This tool is fantastic though for driving the point home. Humans see patterns and overlay them with significance when neither exist at all.

Last edited:
Spec-K, because something random looks pretty similar (under some measure - usually the eyes) to the markets, does that mean the market is just as random?

Conversely, could we construct something that looks very random like a coin toss but isn't at all if you know how it's generated?

Spec-K, because something random looks pretty similar (under some measure - usually the eyes) to the markets, does that mean the market is just as random?

no but it means you can use mathematical randomness as a proxy for modelling and analysis...

I'm yet to come across a single scientific notion that isn't full of assumptions.