The biggest players in Futures ???

neilcharlton

I’ve recently changed jobs from working in equity based hedge funds into the CTA and futures space.
I didn’t really take much notice of CTA’s and now I’m regretting it !! My boss mentioned John W Henry + company to me the other day and I didn’t have a clue who he was ! I ended up looking like a D-ck ! I’m now furiously researching all the major futures players. If you could add to my list of people I should be aware of with a few sentences on what they do and background it would be much appreciated. Groups like Mac Futures, traders like Paul Tudor Jones etc etc.

George Soros - famous for the Quantum Fund which he started in 1969. This fund has given him legendary status as a trader and speculator, as well as the attention of governments and markets around the world.

Jim Rogers - co-founded the Quantum Fund with George Soros. During the first 10 years, the portfolio gained more than 4000%, while the S&P rose less than 50%.
He is currently bullish on commodities. In particular he is more bullish on basic commodities over gold. The guy is a fundemental trader and his views are great.

There you go, thats a start hey!

Search for details on:

Bruce Kovner (Caxton Corp.) and Louis Bacon (Moore Capital)..

neilcharlton said:
I’ve recently changed jobs from working in equity based hedge funds into the CTA and futures space.
I didn’t really take much notice of CTA’s and now I’m regretting it !! My boss mentioned John W Henry + company to me the other day and I didn’t have a clue who he was ! I ended up looking like a D-ck ! I’m now furiously researching all the major futures players. If you could add to my list of people I should be aware of with a few sentences on what they do and background it would be much appreciated. Groups like Mac Futures, traders like Paul Tudor Jones etc etc.

check this site out.

http://www.streetstories.com/pb_futures98.html

The biggest players in Futures

neilcharlton said:

Here is a comphrensive list. the best known ones are highlighted

Abraham Trading Co. Austin, TX www.abrahamtrading.com
Allani Capital Management Geneva, Switzerland www.allanicapital.com
Ansbacher Investment Management, Inc. New York, NY www.ansbacherusa.com
Appleton Capital Management Dublin, Ireland www.appleton.ie
ARA Portfolio Management New Haven, CT www.araportfolio.com
Beach Capital Management London, UK www.beachcapital.com
Campbell & Company Towson, MD www.campbell.com
Capital Fund Management Paris, France www.cfm.fr
Clarke Capital Management Hinsdale, IL www.clarkecapital.com
Compucom Finance, Inc. Switzerland www.compucom.ch
Dolphin Capital Management Tampa, FL www.dolphincap.com
Dominion Capital Management Traverse City, MI www.domcap.com
Dreiss Research Corporation Lake Mary, FL www.dreiss.com
Dunn Capital Management Stuart, FL www.dunncapital.com
DynexCorp Monaco www.dynexcorp.com
Eclipse Capital St. Louis, MO www.eclipsecap.com
er Capital Management Helsinki, Finland www.estlander.com
FTC Vienna, Austria www.ftc.at
FX Concepts New York, NY www.fx-concepts.com
Hasenbichler Asset Management GmbH www.hasenbichler.com
Hathersage Capital Management Connecticut www.hathersage.com
Hawksbill Capital Management Chicago, IL www.hawksbillcapital.com
Hill Financial Group Rowayton, CT www.hillfinancial.com
Hyman Beck Florham Park, NJ www.hymanbeck.com
John W. Henry & Company Boca Raton, FL www.jwh.com
Merit Vienna, Austria www.merit.co.at
Meyer Capital Management Barrington, IL www.meyercapmgt.com
Michael N Trading Company Ltd. Malta www.michaelntrading.com
Millburn Ridgefield Corporation Greenwich, CT www.millburncorp.com
Mulvaney Capital Management London, UK www.mulvaneycapital.com
Northfield Trading Denver, CO www.ntlp.com
Oxeye Capital Management Salisbury, UK www.oxeye.co.uk
Quadriga Group Monaco www.superfund.at
Rivoli Fund Management Paris, France www.rivolifund.com
Schindler Trading Hartland, WI www.schindlertrading.com
Tactical Investment Management Corp. Henderson, NV www.tacticalnet.com
Transtrend Rotterdam, The Netherlands www.transtrend.com
Welton Investment Corporation Carmel, CA www.welton.com
Winton Capital Management London, UK www.wintoncapital.com

Thanks a lot raven glass , would have taken me days of research to find all of those !
cheers mate .

Aspect Capital... massive drawdowns in spring last year, but they've been running for years and have had doldrums followed by mean reversion before. Very interseting systematic trading

Are they ! , i've only met one of the marketing guys :(
Think i'll have to hunt out the booth bunnies at the next show !

Aspect have a great office too, right behind Selfridge's and a glass walled trading room that really looks the business and it seems does the business despite some scary looking draws they have always bounced back by year end.

twalker said:
despite some scary looking draws they have always bounced back by year end.

except for last year ;-)

agreed about their offices too. such an interesting system, seeing it all happen in real-time was mindblowing (I'm still at uni so forgive the awe factor, it's probably quite standard fare to seasoned professionals looking at systematic CTAs)

its an impressive outfit - RMF give them 50 million to start in exchange for 40% of the managment fees ! ouch

miniboot said:
Aspect Capital... massive drawdowns in spring last year, but they've been running for years and have had doldrums followed by mean reversion before. Very interseting systematic trading

I have downloaded a copy of their accounts from companies house, they are very impressive!

Nobody ever makes light of the REST of that catchy little phrase......

"THE TREND IS YOUR FRIEND...... 'TIL IT BENDS OR ENDS"

can't forget the last part!