The BIG Job

Things are looking up. So far this thread is devoid of idiots !
. . . there's my invitation to post!
:LOL:

Yeah, well done tackling this yourself c_v. In addition to the satisfaction gained and the money saved, it's an opportunity for some father/son bonding.

Based on your brief description, my only minor concern is what's under your 40mm mortar bed? Hopefully, there's a further 100mm+ of hardcore and aggregate. Otherwise, I wouldn't be quite so confident about the stability of the slabs in the long term.

Re. the hair colour - as you know - I'm in darkton'e camp: its better than back to feck all!
Tim.

. . . there's my invitation to post!
:LOL:

Yeah, well done tackling this yourself c_v. In addition to the satisfaction gained and the money saved, it's an opportunity for some father/son bonding.

Based on your brief description, my only minor concern is what's under your 40mm mortar bed? Hopefully, there's a further 100mm+ of hardcore and aggregate. Otherwise, I wouldn't be quite so confident about the stability of the slabs in the long term.

Re. the hair colour - as you know - I'm in darkton'e camp: its better than back to feck all!
Tim.

Hi Tim, yep as per the photos. New slabs being laid on top of existing block paving, which in turn were bedded on compacted grit sand. ( I did that job too 20 odd yrs ago):) So those new slabs won't be moving anytime soon.

Anyone seen Atilla?

6099-darktone-albums-general-8-picture4972-point-break.jpg

Only so much a man can take.

Looks better when cleaned off. Was hoping to have it all completed this weekend, but the artificial grass choice is turning out to be more of a problem than anticipated.

Ok, after a lot of internet searching, we stumbled across a supplier operating out of an industrial unit so we paid them a visit. That was the smartest move ever. Turns out they not only have online sales, but also supply the gardening trade, judging by the amount of landscaping vehicles parked up.

No showroom to speak of, but a small room full of samples (y)

Narrowed it down to 2 which were top end quality but at medium prices. The prices retail would have been £27 to £30 mtr. We purchased 24 sq mtrs for £17.50 mtr.
Result (y)

So, what's left to do!

A good clean up of mainly dust from the slab cutting (gets everywhere).
Some cover decking to tidy up an existing area.
Final layer of grit sand prior to laying the grass.

That's it. Photos to follow later today. Completed on time and -£200 under materials budget.

. . .Completed on time and -£200 under materials budget.
Well done c_v.
It's a slight shame that summer's now officially over and you won't be able - or inclined - to enjoy the fruits of your labour for another 8 months! Absolutely lashing down here in South Devon this morning.
Tim.

Well done c_v.
It's a slight shame that summer's now officially over and you won't be able - or inclined - to enjoy the fruits of your labour for another 8 months! Absolutely lashing down here in South Devon this morning.
Tim.

Ah, season will be expanded for sure.

Real grass made it virtually unusable from Oct-April, like a mud bath.

All back to normal, lot's of tarting up minor jobs done at the same time.

Attachments

• Snapchat-2061399535.jpg
    Snapchat-2061399535.jpg
    581.3 KB · Views: 153
  • Snapchat-1901041089.jpg
    Snapchat-1901041089.jpg
    595.2 KB · Views: 166