Tharp Website

Hi Brand,

Personally, I think that Van Tharp's writings are some of the best material around on trading theory.

Many people dismiss his material because he does not actually trade, but his in-depth studies of trading psychology are, in my opinion, absolutely superb. His books and courses are based on his studies of the mindsets of some of the most successful traders in the world.

Van Tharp may not trade, but his teachings about trading contain some of the most useful and insightful information available. My own trading is based upon a number of sound principles that Van Tharp writes about.

I believe that most of his time is now spent as a full-time coach to around 50 large-scale professional traders.

Thanks

Damian

Van Tharp is one man who talks a lot of rubbish and gets respect for it. He seems to manage to get prasie for bluff and misinformation. He has all sorts of biases and is repeating what he was told by Market Wizards. What makes me laugh is his insistence that position sizing is some kind of magic wand :LOL: .

He is also out of step with the times. I remember him saying at the beginning of the chapter on expectancy and position sizing in his book, that it is a 'complicated' subject :cheesy: Anyway, you can read his book and all the stuff he writes, but it will make no difference at all to your trading, mostly because the guy hasn't got a clue. If I were so inclined, I could give a huge list of contradictions he keeps on spouting. He is a bluffer and a con artist.

Hi FXScalper.

Oh well - each to their own I suppose !

How come you have such a poor opinion of Tharp? Why do you think he's a bluffer and a con-artist?

Thanks

Damian

FXSCALPER2 said:
Van Tharp is one man who talks a lot of rubbish and gets respect for it. He seems to manage to get prasie for bluff and misinformation. He has all sorts of biases and is repeating what he was told by Market Wizards. What makes me laugh is his insistence that position sizing is some kind of magic wand :LOL: .

He is also out of step with the times. I remember him saying at the beginning of the chapter on expectancy and position sizing in his book, that it is a 'complicated' subject :cheesy: Anyway, you can read his book and all the stuff he writes, but it will make no difference at all to your trading, mostly because the guy hasn't got a clue. If I were so inclined, I could give a huge list of contradictions he keeps on spouting. He is a bluffer and a con artist.
I was amused at your self adsorbed opinion of Dr. Tharp, so much I re read "Market Wizards" and for the life of me I could not find your name in all the 458 pages.Pura Vida

Hi FxScalper,

I got a Trade2Win email with your reply, but for some reason it hasn't appeared on this thread so I'll paste it here:

"Because he contradicts himself too much. He also says things that are plainly
not true in trading. He also plays a trick by saying, if you don't want to
listen to and apply what he says, it shows you have a problem."

Can you give me some examples of how you think he contradicts himself, and also what he says that you think is plainly not true about trading?

I'm not trying to be confrontational - I am genuinely interested as to the reasons behind your opinions.

Thanks

Damian

damianoakley said:
Hi FxScalper,

I got a Trade2Win email with your reply, but for some reason it hasn't appeared on this thread so I'll paste it here:

"Because he contradicts himself too much. He also says things that are plainly
not true in trading. He also plays a trick by saying, if you don't want to
listen to and apply what he says, it shows you have a problem."

Can you give me some examples of how you think he contradicts himself, and also what he says that you think is plainly not true about trading?

I'm not trying to be confrontational - I am genuinely interested as to the reasons behind your opinions.

Thanks

Damian

I deleted my earlier response because I just could not be bothered to explain. Too much mental energy. If I don't need to think about something, then I don't. Consider how much more mental space you would have if every day you eliminated a lot of the thinking you don't need to do.

No worries - i'll leave you to it.

If ever you feel like giving some examples of what you said about Tharp, I'd be interested.

Thanks

Damian