Technical Indicator Fixation

Stop being so cruel and spill the beans Robbie:)

Cheeky monkey - am just trying to get PB to look past the indicator before he decides on the value an indicator (and it's limitations) can offer.

Nothing mystical :)

As trading is experiential it's a bit like trying to describe how to do a handbrake turn in a car, how to fly cast, how to clay shoot, play pool, etc etc....

Why did you need a lagging derivative of price to tell you that the price was low enough to buy at?
In the same way anyone trading purely off support/resistance levels uses a reaction to those levels as a ‘tell’. It seems to be, more often than not, a good place to work a trade off a reaction to it.
Why did you delegate responsibility for the entry decision to this mechanism?
Delegate responsibility? Unless entry is completely random, an entry event or set of entry criteria are required. Something has to occur for a trader to decide this particular point in time is appropriate for entry whereas the point in time prior to that was not. I also use an entry method triggered by the price closing inside a channel. And a few others. But they all rely on indicators and levels all of which are derivatives of price (and time) of course. Even a trader entering without using any indicators or support/resistance levels will be using price action to describe an entry event. If my selected entry method isn’t in your opinion a good one(something I’ll be all too ready to believe) I’m fine with that, but I can’t tell where it is you’re trying to lead me with that question. My fault entirely, but I’m not getting what it is you’re pointing at.
What have you achieved by not being engaged in what price may or may not be doing now in it's own right?
If this is another angle on ‘delegation of responsibility’ as in ‘abdicate responsibility for on-going management of open position or of entering a new position or of result of prior entry by deciding I don’t need to monitor current price action’ then maybe I have got a glimpse of where you may be heading me. But I do feel I am engaged to the extent that in a position I’ll be looking for what price does around key levels to try to determine whether or not to exit. Are you saying that’s all I should be doing prior to entry too rather than using what you consider to be the extraneous device of the moving average?

Were you really engaged in what the market was doing?
I thought so as per my response above, but now I’m not so sure. If I were really engaged in what the market was doing presumably as you are when you are trading, what would I be looking at and for and what would I be thinking?

Why use an MA? It surely can’t be that random?

Unfortunately PB, it is. The illusion of organising a random system (making money in the markets) is by nature, our basic instinct. I'm assuming this is why so many fail in their endeavors.

Therefore, profitable traders must acquire an 'unnatural' belief in some other aspect of speculation.

@PB - larger explanation over the weekend :) - I am trying to lead you to think about the market behaviour that is independent of any indicator you use - I am not criticising indicators per se.

PB I have 2 questions for you...

1) In the ideal world, what is it you hope to gain from educating yourself in the art/science of trading. Is it to have a technique that is 100% objective, 100% subjective or a mixture of the two? If the latter, approximately what mix are you looking for?

2) In terms of your analysis, the techniques you have looked at so far, what percentage of the factors you looked at could be described as 'cause' and what percentage could be looked at as 'effect'? You don't need to go into details here but perhaps you could give some examples of the technical factors you have looked at and tell us which are cause & which are effect.

So if you have looked at price, candlesticks, MAs, bollingers - whatever it is - which are cause and which are effect from the things you looked at?

In the same way anyone trading purely off support/resistance levels uses a reaction to those levels as a ‘tell’. It seems to be, more often than not, a good place to work a trade off a reaction to it.

So knowing how and why people are likely to trade around a certain price is certainly one side of this game. Bounces off MA's are one mechanism, bounces off Bollingers another but these kind of indicators have one thing in common - they are all derivatives of price, with their own calculation method. Do you think the larger participants in a capital market are trading like this? I will answer this - they are not and what's more they are responsible for the money flow into and out of the market that moves the price. You are better off trading with these people rather than against them.

So if you want to be on the same side of a trade as the big money, don't you think you should be looking for their footprint rather than using an indicator? :)

Delegate responsibility? Unless entry is completely random, an entry event or set of entry criteria are required. Something has to occur for a trader to decide this particular point in time is appropriate for entry whereas the point in time prior to that was not. I also use an entry method triggered by the price closing inside a channel. And a few others. But they all rely on indicators and levels all of which are derivatives of price (and time) of course.

So I agree that certain criteria need to be met in order to entertain participation. What I am questioning is whether an indicator can effectively tell you where large participants are trading.

Even a trader entering without using any indicators or support/resistance levels will be using price action to describe an entry event.

Bingo. Why not look at what price has been doing and not rely on an arithmetic means of managing your trades?

If my selected entry method isn’t in your opinion a good one(something I’ll be all too ready to believe) I’m fine with that, but I can’t tell where it is you’re trying to lead me with that question. My fault entirely, but I’m not getting what it is you’re pointing at.

Learn to watch what price is doing and the market itself - don't focus on what an indicator is doing - you won't learn much about the behaviour of a security and without this you will not be able to make solid judgements on the viability of using one indicator over another. Learn the market. You will then be able to locate a trading edge and this may include the use of an indicator.

If this is another angle on ‘delegation of responsibility’ as in ‘abdicate responsibility for on-going management of open position or of entering a new position or of result of prior entry by deciding I don’t need to monitor current price action’ then maybe I have got a glimpse of where you may be heading me. But I do feel I am engaged to the extent that in a position I’ll be looking for what price does around key levels to try to determine whether or not to exit. Are you saying that’s all I should be doing prior to entry too rather than using what you consider to be the extraneous device of the moving average?

Yes - take the crutches away for a while and don't be afraid of the market. Respect it but don't fear it. Respect yourself too by applying sound money management to keep you in the game whilst you learn. Understand it is an experiential pursuit and you will only really learn by doing it.

PB I have 2 questions for you...

1) In the ideal world, what is it you hope to gain from educating yourself in the art/science of trading. Is it to have a technique that is 100% objective, 100% subjective or a mixture of the two? If the latter, approximately what mix are you looking for?
If by subjective you mean insights and intuition developed and honed from experience, sound advice from others, experiential and empirical knowledge and hours of trading time, then I’d be happy with 100% subjectivity if it did the job. At my current level of experience and knowledge, I’d be more comfortable with 0% subjectivity. I even need a moving average to tell me the price has a slope to it. Objective techniques with an empirical basis for triggering trading events such as entry, exit, scale in, scale out would seem the most logical and sensible approach to adopt as a beginner. The balance perhaps gradually allowing grater input from the subjective side depending on those factors I mention to above as my experience increases.

2) In terms of your analysis, the techniques you have looked at so far, what percentage of the factors you looked at could be described as 'cause' and what percentage could be looked at as 'effect'? You don't need to go into details here but perhaps you could give some examples of the technical factors you have looked at and tell us which are cause & which are effect.
None of the factors such as technical levels or indicators are ever cause, they are always the effect of actions taken in the market. When I have used terms such as ‘reaction to’ and ‘bounce off’ the moving average or pivot levels, I have made clear there are teleological in nature and convenient models of what is occurring than there being any physical reality between them. The only cause that there can be, especially in the forex market, is the price being pushed up or pulled down by large volumes of transactions either from individual institutions attempting to work a single or aggregate customer orders, Institutions acting on concert to news or scheduled data release events, or the aggregate of large numbers of smaller players in that market acting either randomly – which will if it is genuinely random cluster and therefore appear to be less than random, or in tandem to technical levels which are co-located coincidentally or otherwise across a number of trading timeframes.

I don’t even see how the normal economic factors such as supply and demand can apply theoretically specifically with regard to forex. For most purposes, surely any individual currency can be considered as effectively having unlimited supply, so the movement across currency pairs must I believe be purely a function of the buying/selling pressure (volume of transactions) inherent in the process of moving large client orders or the equivalent large orders as an aggregate of smaller players. If bank A is aware bank B needs to buy £100m and sell the equivalent US dollars they will each be working against each other to make the spread: Bank A trying to make Bank B pay as many US dollars as possible for each £ and Bank B trying to as quietly as possible do the opposite. I understand there is also significant commission over large volumes and banks have been known to work in concert to push the price around simply to trigger buy/sell levels and generate commissions off their own client orders. If these are the genuine causes of fluctuations in currency pairs, then this activity and knowledge is well protected from the profane i.e. retail players. I am sure there are many factors involved in the ‘cause’ and look forward to learning them all.

So if you have looked at price, candlesticks, MAs, bollingers - whatever it is - which are cause and which are effect from the things you looked at?
I appreciate price is the fundamental entity on the chart and all other indicators and levels are derived from it (and possibly also time and even volume at a pinch) and even the price is not the cause. Price can’t cause price, it just is.

So if you want to be on the same side of a trade as the big money, don't you think you should be looking for their footprint rather than using an indicator? :)
Aren't they trying hard to avoid leaving any footprints? They're not hiding from me, but the presumably are trying to avoid doing anything which gives their competitors awareness of the intent or their actions. Inevitably a large buy order will manifest itself in the price rising, but what is that; one up bar, two, three or am I still barking up the wrong tree? Price action and footprints convey the impression of activity which can be analysed and utilised. I'm more than happy to ditch every single indicator if necessary, but until I can more fully understand what constitutes 'a footprint' and what 'price action' means as a reality of trading in real time rather than as a abstract concept it would be folly to ditch that which has and is providing at least a slightly better than 50% probability of getting on the right side of the move.

Can you provide a chart which shows what you mean by price action reading and where a foot print has been made>

If by subjective you mean insights and intuition developed and honed from experience, sound advice from others, experiential and empirical knowledge and hours of trading time, then I’d be happy with 100% subjectivity if it did the job. At my current level of experience and knowledge, I’d be more comfortable with 0% subjectivity. I even need a moving average to tell me the price has a slope to it. Objective techniques with an empirical basis for triggering trading events such as entry, exit, scale in, scale out would seem the most logical and sensible approach to adopt as a beginner. The balance perhaps gradually allowing grater input from the subjective side depending on those factors I mention to above as my experience increases.

I think everyone comes into trading wanting it to be objective. A lot of people from engineering backgrounds approach the market this way and some go to great extremes to 'solve' the markets using objective analysis.

I have yet to meet a profitable trader that is 100% objective. I think the issue people have with subjective analysis is that they associate it with randomness and with having no rules. I don't think this is the case.

I don't personally think 100% objective trading is possible for a retail trader. If I did, I'd be trying to write a computer program to trade whilst I sat on the beach.

You do raise an interesting point about learning though. It would of course be ideal to have a 100% objective method whilst you honed your skills. I just don't think 100% mechanical methods exist in the retail world.

What I think you need to do is to take leap of faith with something that has a very large subjective element and then just stick with it until you get good. This is what prop traders generally do, although their leap of faith isn't so big because they are in a professional environment.

Many retailers just jump from one thing to another and give each thing a very short amount of time. You can't blame them, they don't generally have a good source of knowledge. It's a bit like someone saying "I'm going to be an athlete" then trying javelin for a fortnight, then running for a month, then swimming for a week and still thinking they are progressing.

None of the factors such as technical levels or indicators are ever cause, they are always the effect of actions taken in the market. When I have used terms such as ‘reaction to’ and ‘bounce off’ the moving average or pivot levels, I have made clear there are teleological in nature and convenient models of what is occurring than there being any physical reality between them. The only cause that there can be, especially in the forex market, is the price being pushed up or pulled down by large volumes of transactions either from individual institutions attempting to work a single or aggregate customer orders, Institutions acting on concert to news or scheduled data release events, or the aggregate of large numbers of smaller players in that market acting either randomly – which will if it is genuinely random cluster and therefore appear to be less than random, or in tandem to technical levels which are co-located coincidentally or otherwise across a number of trading timeframes.

I don’t even see how the normal economic factors such as supply and demand can apply theoretically specifically with regard to forex. For most purposes, surely any individual currency can be considered as effectively having unlimited supply, so the movement across currency pairs must I believe be purely a function of the buying/selling pressure (volume of transactions) inherent in the process of moving large client orders or the equivalent large orders as an aggregate of smaller players. If bank A is aware bank B needs to buy £100m and sell the equivalent US dollars they will each be working against each other to make the spread: Bank A trying to make Bank B pay as many US dollars as possible for each £ and Bank B trying to as quietly as possible do the opposite. I understand there is also significant commission over large volumes and banks have been known to work in concert to push the price around simply to trigger buy/sell levels and generate commissions off their own client orders. If these are the genuine causes of fluctuations in currency pairs, then this activity and knowledge is well protected from the profane i.e. retail players. I am sure there are many factors involved in the ‘cause’ and look forward to learning them all.

I appreciate price is the fundamental entity on the chart and all other indicators and levels are derived from it (and possibly also time and even volume at a pinch) and even the price is not the cause. Price can’t cause price, it just is.

You have said it yourself. You are studying cause looking for effect. You are almost there but could spend a long time still not seeing it. You are putting things on the screen and expecting these things to become effect, even though they are generated by previous cause.

I'm not even talking about fundamentals to be honest. I tend to stay away from that stuff entirely. The futures markets I trade ARE used by long term players establishing positions. On the whole though, the majority of trading is done by short term speculators who are doing exactly the same thing that you are doing - trying to guess what everyone else is doing.

The problem though - is that there's different levels of directional speculator. Consider the ES

There's the bottom rung - a guy that doesn't even know there's a game being played.
Then there's the more savvy traders that know the dance and how the game is played.
Then there's the savvy traders that know the dance and how the game is played and who make money from it.
Then there's the larger traders who push the market around at opportune times gaming the market and who generally speaking won't take each other on. Not sure if it's myth or not but for the ES, there's said to be just 5 or 6 guys responsible for most of the volume.

And I am sure there's a whole bunch of other types too...

Different markets move in different ways. The ES and a couple of Eurex markets suit me because they get played in the same way. Other markets - well to be honest, I really find it hard to get motivated.

The "Game" is the cause in the short term. Not knowing there's a game being played is problematic.

And the "Game" is not manipulation either. No-one is in control of it but certain things are expected to happen at certain points. When it does - lots of people jump in. It's more like knowing when not to fight it.

And BTW - none of this needs any indicators!