TA Doesnt work!

Believe me when I say that watching a market like Cable come 200 pips against you, even when you are in profit, takes strong conviction and belief in yourself - which is, akin to "balls". Just my opinion.
Well, definitely a horses for courses thing as you say. I'd rather get out at a narrow retrace and back in when/if it comes again in my favour. Or better yet, in your example, wait until the 200 pip retrace (which you got out of for say -20) reexhibits the initial trend characterisitics and get back in a a better level.

Lots of horses. Lots of courses.

Hmm, I can see TheBramble has posted but can't see (and therefore read) the post...

Someone spoke of this problem on another thread...

I've not changed anything...presume it's a T2W issue.

For a start they move in ticks. If it isn't continuous then it can never reach the exactly efficient price.

PS. I belive that TA (Technical Analysis) does indeed work, i just wanted to get som attention

Not only it works but it does with amazing accuracy if you know when to use it and when not to.

I'm still learning after 15 years trading. I have never missed a good flag, a good pennant or a good rising wedge. What is "good" is the main issue here. If your good turns bad, activate your stop loss.

I'm convinced that a master of TA can be about 80% correct with a risk/reward ratio of about 1/3.

But note that there is no book that will teach you how to become rich blindly. TA is more than analyzing charts....It is mostly about knowing when and when to analyze, and how.

Alex

Surely anyone who believes the market is efficient would never bother to trade for a living right? Is it worth even giving the argument the time of day in one's mind?

JM2P

DM

I'm sorry. I didn't realise. I can think other thoughts if you want to go back to the longer TFs?

Seriously though, and very germane to this thread, the shorter the TF the larger the noise component, where traditional TA works less well to not at all. There seems (to me at any rate) a pivotal point between specific TFs, which is not set for any given instrument or market or time, but shifts according to factors which I have yet to fully identify, where TA ‘just about/sort of’ still works and where noise makes up for the rest of the action. I like this area. Trading with expectations of quasi-randomness or perhaps more simply a recognition of the random elements of trading operating at these shorter TFs makes it a lot simpler not to get married to your analysis and commit the error of rejecting the reality when it diverges from it. You’re only ever in the market when it’s going in the direction you believe offers the greatest probability of continuance, based on your analyses. What I used to take as a breathing point (a retrace) and potential new stop placement level now simply become an exit.

It’s an extremely rewarding area to trade, for me at any rate, as it precisely suits my current trading style (I’m not discounting the very real possibility I’ll shift to a totally different style as and when circumstances conspire – always leave your options open I reckon).

It’s a combination of a large number of trades, very low absolute pip/point risk, very short exposure times and never giving very much to, or back to, the market. It involves concentrated screen time, but allows total freedom in when and for how long I want or choose to sit and trade. Wouldn’t suit everyone.

Last edited:
I'm sorry. I didn't realise. I can think other thoughts if you want to go back to the longer TFs?

I wasn't confessing or anything Bramble just thinking out loud that's all :cheesy: but,

always interested in your other thoughts.

Seriously though, and very germane to this thread, the shorter the TF the larger the noise component, where traditional TA works less well to not at all. There seems (to me at any rate) a pivotal point between specific TFs, which is not set for any given instrument or market or time, but shifts according to factors which I have yet to fully identify, where TA ‘just about/sort of’ still works and where noise makes up for the rest of the action.

I think we must be looking at the same chart this morning.

It’s a combination of a large number of trades, very low absolute pip/point risk, very short exposure times and never giving very much to, or back to, the market.

I'm still working on this !

It involves concentrated screen time, but allows total freedom in when and for how long I want or choose to sit and trade.

Yes agree, this is another advantage of trading a shorter TF

dd