swingin' the ftse

Status
Not open for further replies.
ps: chart now up on previous post - it's yesterday's so doesn't include today's points :)

good trading

jon

Update: first long from around 6310 still running, as is the second if you're comfortable with gap openings. Yesterday gave a potential 3 bar swing low but the low was taken out today so today's will be the potential swing low bar.

It's interesting because the bounce back is now at around yesterday's high and some will enter long if it goes.

good trading

jon

Attachments

• ftseswing.JPG
    ftseswing.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 255
Thursdays high was hit for me on Friday (trading with capital spreads) so I'm long at the moment. Cheers for the heads up about the thread Jon.

Friday gave a potential swing low - up from here and a long entry triggers around 6577 and trailing stops on earlier trades will rise to 6530.

good trading

jon

Attachments

• ftseswing.JPG
    ftseswing.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 249
Friday gave a potential swing low - up from here and a long entry triggers around 6577 and trailing stops on earlier trades will rise to 6530.

good trading

jon

Yes, I see the swing low too. Place an order to open tomorrow if we get a rise from the open. Also attached, see that we have an upward pennant formation, which could signal a breakout.

Attachments

• ftse_swing_28May.bmp
    701.4 KB · Views: 198
  • ftse_28May.bmp
    701.4 KB · Views: 195
Attachments with thumbnails (hopefully...)

Attachments

• ftse_28May.PNG
    ftse_28May.PNG
    24.1 KB · Views: 266
  • ftse_swing_28May.PNG
    ftse_swing_28May.PNG
    19 KB · Views: 227
well if you're comfortable with gap openings you'd be in on yesterday's intraday action at around 6579 and just come within a whisker of being stopped out at 6529 (where earlier positions would have been closed as well).

We've now got up to four positions running depending on how people choose to deal with gap openings. For the purposes of this thread I'm not introducing any sophisticated exit points (see firewalkers thread for that :) ) and merely raising stops to below the last swinglow - 6529 atm. However, that would leave both the last two positions underwater so maybe lifting to breakeven on those is prudent at this stage.

good trading

jon

Attachments

• ftseswing.JPG
    ftseswing.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 242
Well, prudence was the name of the game ;)

All positions now closed - total points around + 310 or so.

With the breach of the last swing low the trend changes to down (needs confirmation). The really agressive will have gone short on that breach, but the more cautious will await the first three bar reaction.

Good trading.

jon

Attachments

• ftseswing.JPG
    ftseswing.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 225
Good morning barjon. I have had a problem with my registration and therefore been unable to post but have got that sorted now.:LOL: I have been reading this thread with some interest over the last few days. I am a newbie to trading, trying to find my style, and having just read Marc Rivallands book, I feel that Swing Trading maybe the way.

I hope that I will be able to pick your brains and learn how to at least not lose too much to start with. Your post this morning was very useful in that I had not noticed that a new swing low had been made. Preumably it is now wise to wait for a 3 bar swing upwards before thinking about selling short?

Hi, Yamin - welcome to T2W

This thread was a sort of follow on to the article about simple swing trading http://www.trade2win.com/knowledge/first-steps/articles/general_articles/simple-swing-trading/ which you may find interesting.

It's pretty much along the lines of Marc Rivalland's approach - particularly his Gann modification of not requiring three consecutive up (down) days of retracement.

I use this basic system, with a few additional rules and conditions, for swing trading a stable of ftse 100 shares with reasonable success, so I would say it is worth your attention.

As I said, the really aggressive would already be short but, as you say, the more cautious will await a three bar + upward reaction. The breach of the swing low is fairly marginal so far and a wider breach or a few days below the last swing low would be nice to see for confirmation. Otherwise, we'll find out if it signifies a real break when (if) a short signal arrives :confused:

cheers

jon

Not a doji, fibo, if you take account of the gap open.

Worth taking a look at the long term weekly chart which is still comfortably in up trend. With that in mind and with the penultimate swing low holding today's low some may be tempted to play long for a continued bounce if today's high goes on Monday anticipating either a false trend change (with today a potential swing low) or the first reaction in a new down trend which may extend to around 6570 - 6590 or so.

Otherwise, the assumption is that the trend has changed and we await that reaction (should it continue) to extend to three bars to form a potential swing high and short opportunity.

good trading

jon

Attachments

• ftseweek.JPG
    ftseweek.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 262
  • ftseswing.JPG
    ftseswing.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 272
Hmmmmm...

Not a doji, fibo, if you take account of the gap open.

Worth taking a look at the long term weekly chart which is still comfortably in up trend. With that in mind and with the penultimate swing low holding today's low some may be tempted to play long for a continued bounce if today's high goes on Monday anticipating either a false trend change (with today a potential swing low) or the first reaction in a new down trend which may extend to around 6570 - 6590 or so.

Otherwise, the assumption is that the trend has changed and we await that reaction (should it continue) to extend to three bars to form a potential swing high and short opportunity.

good trading

jon

Is this looking more like a false trend change? I have been watching a few other shares from the FTSE and they all seem to be now rising above their old swing highs, or certainly heading that way. Is that any indication?

Is this looking more like a false trend change? I have been watching a few other shares from the FTSE and they all seem to be now rising above their old swing highs, or certainly heading that way. Is that any indication?

yamin

Possibly - we'll find out soon :)

Although the action's messy we've got our first potential swing high in the assumed new downtrend and around 6595 will be short entry point. A continued rise to above 6686 will confirm it as a false trend change.

cheers

jon

Attachments

• ftseswing.JPG
    ftseswing.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 253
Jon,

So are you saying that the 3 highlighted up days constitute the three bars necessary to think about going short. Would you wait for confirmation or place a sell limit and see what happens?

Yamin

Attachments

• FTSE 100.jpg
    FTSE 100.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 273
er, the second one is the red one on your chart. from what i can see you're using a chart that doesn't recognise gap openings which is why yours looks a bit different to mine.

as i said, the action is messy because there are three higher highs but not higher lows (on my chart, that is)

the choice is to short as soon as the low of today's bar goes or to wait to see a close below and enter the next day.

cheers

jon

Jon,

Which software do you use. Still testing the water in trading so trying to avoid spending loads. Will need all the money I can spare:LOL: . Can you recommend any that will not cost the earth,

Jon,

Which software do you use. Still testing the water in trading so trying to avoid spending loads. Will need all the money I can spare:LOL: . Can you recommend any that will not cost the earth,

yamin

I use sharescope gold - http://www.sharescope.co.uk/ - which is not expensive.

btw as you test the water, remember that I am only showing the basic proposition of simple swing trading. It is not a mechanical "holy grail". You will note that I never say enter here or exit here, but I just point up the various key points that appear. Anyone trading at those points will have their own way of doing so (or not taking a trade, as the case may be) and each have their own plan.

cheers

jon

Status
Not open for further replies.