Swing/ trend following systems in August

rs1

Anyone else found August to be a bit of a tricky month as far as swing trading on a trend following basis goes? It seems like every time I jump on a nice looking trend it reverses pretty quickly. It is to be expected on occasion I guess, but this month seems to have been particularly wacky.

I trade futures in all the major asset classes.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

For us FTSE100 EOD swing traders the trouble is there has only been one significant pull-back (17-19/08) so far this month to allow an entry/re-entry long, though even that did not meet everyone's criteria. I am hoping for a decent pull-back spanning the weekend and will then be able to get in next week riding whichever direction results.

if you took the sugar trade, then all of your other losing trades should have been taken care of...

if you took the sugar trade, then all of your other losing trades should have been taken care of...

Yeah, I know, Sugar is not a market I trade though, so not much help to me, unfortunately.

August was a good month for my anti-trend model in FX, in particular GBP/USD and USD/CAD, some nice swing moves there. If spot makes new high/low and ADX is weak, then sell/buy with relatively tight stops. The key is to make sure you're out of the market when a strong trend is in place (e.g. USD/CAD coming off 800 pips) otherwise you get nuked repeatedly trying to "buy the low".

i use trend systems and though august was not a brilliant month it was good especially because of GBPUSD and GBPJPY which had some nice trends going on unlike the other pairs that apparently were ranging

i use trend systems and though august was not a brilliant month it was good especially because of GBPUSD and GBPJPY which had some nice trends going on unlike the other pairs that apparently were ranging

Interesting. Do you just trade currencies?

I do not endorse or have an opinion concerning the following...
But check the following:
1. tradingblox (turtleblox)
2. getfolio
Google that name and make an informed decision.
And to not further derail the conversation I'll stop there.
Goodluck