swapping a new monitor

tonyjai

right.. a very complex issue to solve.

i have two pc's. pc "1" and pc "2"

i want the monitor from pc "2" to put onto pc "1". for pc "1" the monitor has two cables..one plugs into the tower (display adaptor) and one into the mains for power.

pc "2" has two cables again, one into the tower (display adaptor) and the other cable is plugged directly into the tower again to get power.

the reason for swapping is because the monitor is alot smaller for pc "2" and i want it on pc "1"

so,what i am thinkin of is to use the same POWER CABLE for each pc but only swapping round the monitor. i hope to understand my question... its hard to explain. how would i know that the power rating is the same and would not blow my monitor? thanks...how can i check?

so, if i was to swap the monitor....pc "1" would have the power cable plugged into the mains with the pc "2" monitor.

oh....some additional info
pc "1" monitor:

ac 200-240v
50hz
1.5a

pc "2"

100-240v ac
50/60 hz
1.5a

contained on the monitors itself...thanks

Why would you blow your monitor?

It sounds like one PSU on your PC has a passthrough connector thats all. It just saves on having to have two plugs in the mains.

Both Monitors are rated at 240V which is what I assume you have in NZ being an old Brit Colony.

JonnyT

You can use a different power cable and plug it into the mains instead of the computer.. had to do that with one of mine because the old cable was faulty and I had several mains leads lying around

Last edited:
As an Electrician I would sugest you do it correctly as you may set fire to your house because of a problem with regards to eddy currents NO THIS IS NOT A JOKE

Please tell me why as someone with a degree in Electronic Engineering WTF eddy currents have to do with two monitors that simply plug into the mains?

One PC it would seem has a Bypass port on its PSU the other doesn't. Both monitors are rated at 240V and 1.5A.

JonnyT

If you had read my thread properly I said I wasd an electrician and I didn't say I had a degree in electronics I am a qualified electrician