Straight Line Approach, The (the SLA)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you click on DbP's signature then download and read the SLA pdf then your confusion will clear like the morning mist :) (Oh, and you will find that following the rules prevent you being "torn to pieces" as you opine in another thread :LOL:

Annoying that I have to "download" anything to get an answer to a simple question.

Why not just say?

Annoying that I have to "download" anything to get an answer to a simple question.

Why not just say?

Do you have any idea how many times Db has answered that question? Why not just read what he has written to get the answer.

Do you have any idea how many times Db has answered that question? Why not just read what he has written to get the answer.

Because I have a lot to read on an ongoing basis.

His charts have straight lines and red dots nothing more. I know the straight lines and what they mean and why they are drawn where they are.

Just say what those red dots mean? Maybe then I can tell whether I want to read it all. :rolleyes:

Because I have a lot to read on an ongoing basis.

His charts have straight lines and red dots nothing more. I know the straight lines and what they mean and why they are drawn where they are.

Just say what those red dots mean? Maybe then I can tell whether I want to read it all. :rolleyes:

You've missed the green dots. If you have read the whole thread, mainly the first post, it states enter on retracements. Those red and green dots are on the retracements. Does that clear it up for you?

You've missed the green dots. If you have read the whole thread, mainly the first post, it states enter on retracements. Those red and green dots are on the retracements. Does that clear it up for you?

thx. I'll look at it again.You are correct I did miss the green dots my color setting on my display doesn't display that color green well had to look close.

Why not just say?

Probably because I was a touch irritated that you should pour scorn on the approach without really having found out what it was all about :)

Probably because I was a touch irritated that you should pour scorn on the approach without really having found out what it was all about :)

Greens are entries and reds are shorts? Without knowing why those prices at entry is this correct?

Greens are entries and reds are shorts? Without knowing why those prices at entry is this correct?

Green, long entries. Red, short entries. Read the PDFs then you'll know why those prices.

Green, long entries. Red, short entries. Read the PDFs then you'll know why those prices.

do any of you have a journal here? i'd like to see those entries playing out in realtime. why not?

Reactions: tar
Given that piphoe clearly has no interest in any of this, he's been put on Ignore. Those who are interested in it need only read the first post to the thread. Those who are intrigued may click my signature and read the pdf which explains the approach in more detail. In 20 pages. Those who aren't may select one of the other approaches that are provided at T2W.

Best of luck to everyone.

Db

do any of you have a journal here? i'd like to see those entries playing out in realtime. why not?

Yes, I do ( getting to grips with DbP/Wyckoff) and there are others. To answer an earlier point of yours the entries are a bit indistinct because they come after a retracement and rely on each traders interpretation of a " retracement" and at what point they are going to assume it is over.

Your point about real time is also valid since it is often not as clear cut then as it can look in hindsight.

Your point about real time is also valid since it is often not as clear cut then as it can look in hindsight.

If the movement in real time is not as clear as it is in hindsight, then the trader has not sufficiently defined the criteria for his entry. Which is a chief reason why I posted these charts. You for example had a retracement on Wednesday which was triggered on Thursday. If you had reason for not taking it, then no one can tell you that you should have. But the SLA took the trade.

Db

If the movement in real time is not as clear as it is in hindsight, then the trader has not sufficiently defined the criteria for his entry. Which is a chief reason why I posted these charts. You for example had a retracement on Wednesday which was triggered on Thursday. If you had reason for not taking it, then no one can tell you that you should have. But the SLA took the trade.

Db

I really meant the "lines". Even in your post there are instances where the initial line connecting the first couple of swing highs/lows would have had price breaking that line before it was fanned as new low/high for the move was reached.

I really meant the "lines". Even in your post there are instances where the initial line connecting the first couple of swing highs/lows would have had price breaking that line before it was fanned as new low/high for the move was reached.

And anyone who has questions is welcome to ask them. Those who've followed along in these threads know that I don't exit just because price has broken the line by a tick. But that is just what I recommend to someone who's been failing (see my article on Fear). But not only did I write this, I've been trading it for years. I don't panic just because a line is broken. But that's what trading price is all about.

Db

And anyone who has questions is welcome to ask them. Those who've followed along in these threads know that I don't exit just because price has broken the line by a tick. But that is just what I recommend to someone who's been failing (see my article on Fear). But not only did I write this, I've been trading it for years. I don't panic just because a line is broken. But that's what trading price is all about.

Db

Yes - I appreciate that, of course. Nonetheless, it all looks a bit different as it develops in real time.

Yes - I appreciate that, of course. Nonetheless, it all looks a bit different as it develops in real time.

It can, but shouldn't. I have, for example, determined just how far price can break one of these lines before I can be reasonably confident that the trend is over. Unless and until one does this (I know of only three other people who have), he's either going to be making a great many unnecessary trades or he's going to be missing out on a great many opportunities (couldawouldashoulda). But no one can do this for someone else. He has to do it for himself according to what instrument he's trading, what bar interval he's trading, what his risk tolerance is, how well he understands the continuity of price, how well he understands pace and activity.

Those who seek something mechanical will be dissatisfied with the SLA.

Db

In an effort to wrap up the connect-the-dots discussion, I've uploaded the first panel of the 08 series from yesterday along with a portion of that panel. The series posted yesterday represents typical trades of one who has read, studied, and practiced with the material for at least a few weeks. The initial segment of it represents what can be expected of the trader who is completely new to this and/or is terrified of entering, managing, and exiting trades.

In the first panel, the trader knows how much price can break the SL and still continue its original course. Therefore, the fact that price doesn't plunge to all-time lows is of no concern. The first swing is only 2.5pts deep. The next swing is only 1.5pts above the LSH. This is again of no concern. When price makes a lower low at 0300, the trader can draw his SL and have something to work with.

At this point, all the trader has to do is follow the leader. The SL isn't broken by more than three points until 0414. Why exit before then? Because in the meantime price has made a series of higher lows before breaking the line. This gives added importance to the break. OTOH, he could wait for price to hit 65 or 66 and enter six minutes later.

The beginner, of course, much less the fearful trader, can't be expected to do any of this. The chief objectives here are to learn or re-learn success and to gain confidence. Therefore, these two trader will stick to the lines like a banana peel. At the first RET after price has dropped from the high, they'll go short. When the line is broken at 0233, they'll exit with seven points. They will then go long at the first RET thereafter and exit for 3 or 4 ticks. They will then short the first RET thereafter and exit for a loss of maybe 5 ticks. There is no long thereafter because price makes a lower low. The next trading op is the short at 0259. These traders may exit this trade at the line break for a loss, or they may decide to go with the uber SL just above (the dashed line; note that this cannot be drawn until 0300, but the trader can anticipate where the line will be if and when price falls; he may also note the LH at 0255). If they bail, they are still in profit with 2W and 2L. If they stay with the short, they have 3W and 1L and perhaps five extra points. The recommendation here, however, would be to exit at the break of the line. To see price drop thereafter is an observation to be entered into the journal.

There are four trades in the second scenario as opposed to one in the first. This results in four times the commissions. But this is a necessary though possibly brief passage that beginners and failing traders have to go through. I credit lurkers, however, with enough curiosity to read the pdf which explains all of this (it is, after all, only twenty pages) or at the very least to read the rules in the first post to this thread. Once they do so and experiment with this for a few days, they ought to be comfortable with trading the first scenario rather than the second. If not, there are many other approaches which may be more to their liking.

Db

Attachments

• Demo08b.gif
    Demo08b.gif
    68.3 KB · Views: 310
db

Well, I'm not a beginner, nor fearful, but just trying to follow the SLA rules that you have laid down.

Presumably, from the left hand edge we are in trading mode and not context mode. On that basis SLA tells me to connect the high to the first and subsequent swing highs (nothing about how deep those swings should be - ah, the expert will know, of course), That would have led me to probably a losing long trade at around 2:37, followed by a short at around 2:55 (assuming I'd ignored the very small pullback around 2:50). Soon after I would have been able to fan my SL to your purple one. Stick with until we get to the 3 point break.

Mmmm. " the trader knows how much price can break the SL and still continue its original course. you say. In this case that must be more than THREE POINTS which is a lot in the context of this movement. Blimey you need a supply plank above the price not a damn line. Clever these expert traders who know how much.......... of course, I suppose it depends on the particular circumstances of each "break". All questions of judgement born from experience,of course, but not in the rules.

db

Well, I'm not a beginner, nor fearful, but just trying to follow the SLA rules that you have laid down.

Presumably, from the left hand edge we are in trading mode and not context mode. On that basis SLA tells me to connect the high to the first and subsequent swing highs (nothing about how deep those swings should be - ah, the expert will know, of course), That would have led me to probably a losing long trade at around 2:37, followed by a short at around 2:55 (assuming I'd ignored the very small pullback around 2:50). Soon after I would have been able to fan my SL to your purple one. Stick with until we get to the 3 point break.

Mmmm. " the trader knows how much price can break the SL and still continue its original course. you say. In this case that must be more than THREE POINTS which is a lot in the context of this movement. Blimey you need a supply plank above the price not a damn line. Clever these expert traders who know how much.......... of course, I suppose it depends on the particular circumstances of each "break". All questions of judgement born from experience,of course, but not in the rules.

To begin with, the pdf is a primer. As I've said repeatedly, these posts -- given that there are few questions -- are aimed toward those who have at least read the material and hopefully studied it if not actually experimented with it. These particular charts are aimed at those who are trading live, i.e., watching price move.

As for the expert level, one needn't reach that to understand the rules, much less connect swing highs. The trade is the first RET after the DL is broken, at 0213. The short trade is a winner. (Rule #2)

Db

I posted this to the "Notes" thread even though they shouldn't need it. If you're interested in this and the rules as stated (post #1) are not sufficiently clear and the examples provided in the pdf aren't enough, the following graphic may be helpful. You can laminate it onto something wallet-sized and carry it around with you to study on the bus or while waiting for the orthodontist.

Attachments

• RulesIllus.gif
    RulesIllus.gif
    39.6 KB · Views: 294
Status
Not open for further replies.