Stochastic line settings (Forex)

kentroon

Hi.. Bit of a new guy to this trading game....Trading the Dow as the moment (5 min) charts and using Stochastic settings 14-3-5 and macd. and have had good results... Been looking at Forex charts and seeing similar trends but not sure what Stochastic settings to use on Forex Markets(5 mins) and macd settings....
Can any of you clever clogs help me out ??

its not supposed to be 'offensive'

it is to emphasise, the 'insight' that you really are better off not dreaming about perfecting settings on pointless indicators. better to concetrate on studying Price Action

have a nice day

its not supposed to be 'offensive'

it is to emphasise, the 'insight' that you really are better off not dreaming about perfecting settings on pointless indicators. better to concetrate on studying Price Action

have a nice day

You use Keltner channels don't you? Isn't it just another technical analysis indicator? So are you suggesting that the Stochastic indicator is pointless or that all indicators are pointless or that dreaming about perfecting settings on any indicator is pointless?

Price is an indicator. S/R is an indicator. Trendlines are indicators. Only the tape is not.

Price is an indicator. S/R is an indicator. Trendlines are indicators. Only the tape is not.

Ok, I mean an indicator that is a derivative of price...the pretty coloured ones that tell you exactly when to buy, exactly when to sell and exactly where to put your stops :LOL:

You use Keltner channels don't you? Isn't it just another technical analysis indicator? So are you suggesting that the Stochastic indicator is pointless or that all indicators are pointless or that dreaming about perfecting settings on any indicator is pointless?

Kentroon

I would advise not to listen to such negative people as him ( or is it her ? !! ).

Indicators are used very successfully by many people ...... including very experienced traders.

Suggest look elsewhere on this site for info on indicators.

I would advise not to listen to such negative people as him ( or is it her ? !! ).

Indicators are used very successfully by many people ...... including very experienced traders.

Suggest look elsewhere on this site for info on indicators.

Maybe, maybe not. All I was asking was why someone who has charts littered with Keltner Channels would say "Get rid of all that shyte" or words to that effect.

Hi.. Bit of a new guy to this trading game....Trading the Dow as the moment (5 min) charts and using Stochastic settings 14-3-5 and macd. and have had good results... Been looking at Forex charts and seeing similar trends but not sure what Stochastic settings to use on Forex Markets(5 mins) and macd settings....
Can any of you clever clogs help me out ??

If you want to use indicators, make sure you take the signals where price is hovering around predetermined areas of demand (support) and supply (resistance).

Indicator settings are a red herring in the main. Price action is far more important.

If you want to use indicators, make sure you take the signals where price is hovering around predetermined areas of demand (support) and supply (resistance).

Indicator settings are a red herring in the main. Price action is far more important.

Take "the signals"...what a lucid explanation of how to trade with indicators...

Personally, I think it's more important to take "the signals" given by price. You know the ones I mean, "the signal" when price is about to go up and "the signal" when price is about to go down. You'll make millions doing this.

Take "the signals"...what a lucid explanation of how to trade with indicators...

Personally, I think it's more important to take "the signals" given by price. You know the ones I mean, "the signal" when price is about to go up and "the signal" when price is about to go down. You'll make millions doing this.

You should learn to read a message in full.

A lack of concentration costs millions. :rolleyes:

You should learn to read a message in full.

A lack of concentration costs millions. :rolleyes:

"If you want to use indicators, make sure you take the signals where price is hovering around predetermined areas of demand (support) and supply (resistance)."

How does this help someone who wants to use indicators? What are "the signals"? What value does an indicator add to predetermined areas of "support" and "resistance"? If you think indicators are a red herring in the main then why even say what you did? Your post is a red herring in the main!

You know the ones I mean, "the signal" when price is about to go up and "the signal" when price is about to go down. You'll make millions doing this.

Really? And how is the night shift / pizza delivery going these days?

UTB

Unsubscribed

ROFL.....please don't rob the rest of the community of your in depth knowledge about how no indicators work, and how you make millions using the price action that you know is the only way to the rich house.

I'll unsubscribe instead.

UTB

Maybe, maybe not. All I was asking was why someone who has charts littered with Keltner Channels would say "Get rid of all that shyte" or words to that effect.

you seem to be implying that I'm being hypocritical in my exploration of KCs as a tool ?

I made it abundantly clear that my interest was an 'experiment". I also made it abundantly clear that I expected the experiment "to fail", or "turn out to be a crock of shyte".

However in choosing to trial the KC channels, i did so comfortable in the knowledge that

a) I arrived at this decision based on my own observation and interpretation of events.
I didn't just thoughtlessly fire up aimless, meaningless indicators on my chart as many newer traders seem to do, without understanding either the indicator, how it works, or how they as a trader arrived at the decision to trial it

b) in trialling this indicator, I at least have a simple KISS explanation of what it is, what it represents: "when price moves significantly beyond it's typical average range, there is a likelihood that it may revert to mean".
I'd like to see a newbie (or even yourself) define Stochastics in 19 words !

c) I am not interested in endlessly fiddling with the settings. either it works or doesn't. what makes me particularly uncomfortable with newbies and indicators is the impulse to tweak settings to best-fit historical data, without realising that a 12-26-blah-blah is really no different than a 10-22-blah-blah when moving forward onto live trading

d) as an experienced trader i decided to trial my KC channels in order to refine my entries, exits, not just as a first attempt at signalling how or when to enter a trade

e) I will always recommend a new trader, such as the OP declared himself to be, to first remove all indicators in order to first study and learn PA.

f) Stochastics I find, personally, to be the most tedious of all this indicator nonsense. All newbies throw them up, nobody has a clear understanding; and best of all, the most successful Stochastics traders are those who trade the "Stoch POP", which is directly the opposite of how the majority of newbies play the signal !

Finally, I can find about 11 charts in my journal with KC channels on. Bear in mind, it's my journal in which I'm free to post whatever I wish, but i find your use of the term "littered" to be highly abusive and confrontational.

But then I always find you and your posts, whomever they are aimed at, to be abusive and confrontational. Plus ca change