Spread prices

the blades said:
If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me.

I think I just wanted confirmation that i wason the right track, and that there were no other undeclared charges that may affect my calcualtions while I'm 'paper trading' to build my confidence.

Thanks for that.

the blades said:
Final thought - don't be afraid by any of this - it seems complicated but it really isn't. Once you've grasped it, you'll wonder why you ever thought it so.
UTB

Funnily enough, I get the concept really easily. I understand the options available, and the 'complicated' stuff about trading, ordering, guaranteed stop loss, and all that.

I think it's just the lack of visible sample data regarding the SB firms' actual charges and limitations that keeps me at arm's length.

I have questions like "where can I find out what the bid/offer/spread would be for XYZ with £nn per point right now?" are in my head and I can't seem to get an answer without opening an account and placing an order - by which time I'm committed.

All I need, I think, is sight of some real data that would show me whether abc_spread_ltd are lkely to quote 90-110 or 98-102 on a share standing at 99-101 in the market, and whether I need to deposit a 'bank' of £100 or £1000 to be able to place orders at £10 on such a deal.

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and open an account with a random SB firm. I can always close it when I have my data!

Thanks for your time and help.

Tulaine.

tulaine said:
I have questions like "where can I find out what the bid/offer/spread would be for XYZ with £nn per point right now?" are in my head and I can't seem to get an answer without opening an account and placing an order - by which time I'm committed.

Tulaine.

Take the market price, reverse the formulas in my spreadsheet and hey presto - you have the quotes you'll get from the SB firm.

You will read all sorts of tales about how the SB co will play with the prices to cheat you, etc etc. All I can say is I've placed hundreds of these trades over the last few years, and NEVER seen it. If I did, I would use a broker and buy the shares like others - I have no other motive than to maximise my profits.

PS - More trades will be added to the SS over next day or so.

Happy trading and all the best.

UTB

PS - with capital Spreads you can operate their demo account, with Fins you can trade for a penny a point over a trial period (though I've never tried these, so I can't comment further)

further trades added - observations;

NO CS quotes for 2 FTSE 250 constituents (on line)
Fins and IG - slightly high interest charge - maybe my market quote was slightly low?

UTB

Last edited:
the blades said:
You will read all sorts of tales about how the SB co will play with the prices to cheat you, etc etc. All I can say is I've placed hundreds of these trades over the last few years, and NEVER seen it. If I did, I would use a broker and buy the shares like others - I have no other motive than to maximise my profits.

D4F started rejecting my orders, ultimately making it impossible to trade - but only after (very soon after) I started being consistently profitable. Before that they were quite happy to put my orders through instantly, safe in the knowledge that I didn't know my **** from my elbow.

Latest trades attached.

All Ok, though IG can't half charge interest!

Observation - There are many FTSE250 co's that don't appear on the CS platform. Maybe I should phone and ask - I'll post on the CS thread.

UTB

Attachments

• spreads.xls
    58.5 KB · Views: 227
latest trades attached. No suprises.

UTB

Attachments

• spreads.xls
    63 KB · Views: 239