Spread Betting. Who are we?

As an afterthought, though, if you went to his house and he asked you what you did for a living and you answered "Oh, I spreadbet" :LOL::LOL:

Well, that's what the thread appears to be about.
What should he have said? Do you mean he should have said he was a 'trader' rather than a 'spread better'??

Anyway, OP, How long have you been trading, and how successful have you been?

Personally, i've always tried to keep my 'trading' on the down low! I understand that people will think its a silly pipedream (maybe it is) so I like to pretty much keep it all to myself.
Im personally a big fan of lying my ass off in situations like that, especially if you are new to trading and have no track record. Would have told him I was a *insert respectable job* and told my girlfriend to back me up with my lie before meeting him.

Mind you, if he called me a 'daydreaming jobless idiot!' I would have been tempted to rub my finger up the blade of a big knife and then stare him in the eyes and say 'you have no idea what im capable of...." I like doing funny things like that.

Well, that's what the thread appears to be about.
What should he have said? Do you mean he should have said he was a 'trader' rather than a 'spread better'??

Anyway, OP, How long have you been trading, and how successful have you been?

Personally, i've always tried to keep my 'trading' on the down low! I understand that people will think its a silly pipedream (maybe it is) so I like to pretty much keep it all to myself.
Im personally a big fan of lying my ass off in situations like that, especially if you are new to trading and have no track record. Would have told him I was a *insert respectable job* and told my girlfriend to back me up with my lie before meeting him.

Mind you, if he called me a 'daydreaming jobless idiot!' I would have been tempted to rub my finger up the blade of a big knife and then stare him in the eyes and say 'you have no idea what im capable of...." I like doing funny things like that.

Best not to have told him anything. I agree with you. An insult like that would have put me off him for good!

I don't think that "addicted" is the correct word. I like profits as much as the next person but addiction suggests obsession.

There, also, seems to be a dislike of being called a gambler but spreadbetting is gambling. That is why the tax authorities do not tax it--one is betting on the upward or downward movement of an instrument, be it a share, index, commodity or anything else. It is not like a future where it is possible to take delivery.

I know what I am doing, I'm gambling, albeit as intelligently as I know how.

The good part is that, at my age, I do not have to explain it to a prospective father-in-law. :D

I am happily addicted to money (coming in) and will be until I have enough money to be able to ignore money (going out). Money won't change my life or make me a better person (ironically, I don't want to be, so perhaps that means I need to be) but it would allow me to do everything I enjoy now, only more so.

I am happy to be thought of as gambling on the stock market. I would love to be described as a professional gambler, it sounds so caddish, so rakish, such a dangerous person to know.....

I am happily addicted to money (coming in) and will be until I have enough money to be able to ignore money (going out). Money won't change my life or make me a better person (ironically, I don't want to be, so perhaps that means I need to be) but it would allow me to do everything I enjoy now, only more so.

I am happy to be thought of as gambling on the stock market. I would love to be described as a professional gambler, it sounds so caddish, so rakish, such a dangerous person to know.....

Me,too- :clap: Here's to all the cads on T2W!