Spread Betting. Who are we?

digitalman

Hi guys. So my girl's father found out that I spread bet and called me a "day dreaming jobless idiot".(n) I beg to differ. :mad: I've got a great job and I consider this type of betting to be a great way to make money and be entertained. (y)

I want to challenge him on this and fight back with a huge upper cut. :devilish: Can yea all here assist me by letting me know why you spread bet and what you do for a living in a nut shell? :idea:

. . . or are we all just 7PM deadline day dreamers:?:

Last edited:
Hi guys. So my girl's father found out that I spread bet and called me a "day dreaming jobless idiot".(n) I beg to differ. :mad: I've got a great job and I consider this type of betting to be a great way to make money and be entertained. (y)

I want to challenge him on this and fight back with a huge upper cut. :devilish: Can yea all here assist me by letting me know why you spread bet and what you do for a living in a nut shell? :idea:

Why not just show him how much you do/don't make from sbetting?

This depends on what you do. He knows you better than I do, that's obvious, but I don't know him, either, which may be just as well!

I'm 78, retired, good pension and have fun with what would be, probably, fairly dull mornings. I don't do this all day and some mornings I don't trade either. That said, I would not have done it when I was young.

He might think that you are going to be his SIL and that you might get your feet under his table. He seems like a Robert de Niro, father of the bride type, to me. If you have a great job, tell him to get stuffed,walk out and, if she is the girl for you, she'll walk out with you.

As an afterthought, though, if you went to his house and he asked you what you did for a living and you answered "Oh, I spreadbet" :LOL::LOL:

Last edited:
:love: Love the comments. Keep 'em coming. I need ideas, comments, stats, storied by tomorrow morning cause I'm going to have lunch with the :devilish: devil, I mean him. :cheesy:

Last edited:
digitalman - If you're making money, it doesn't matter what (legal) method you're using. Other people have prejudices based on stereotype images that light up in their heads when they encounter their own specific labels, but none of that process makes it real, it's just in their heads.
e.g.
Investor = good, Trader = bad
Entrepeneur = good, Speculator = bad

All this makes sense. I'm coming up with a wise yet powerful way to combat this prejudice on spread betting people. Can I just get a few more ideas of the type of people that there are so I can tell him, (pretend), Look. Who do you think is a normal Spread Better? He'll answer something lame and I'll say, Oww yea, I know people who are this and this and spread bet. (none of my other friends do so I can't use them as examples). lol.

I don't know if finding spreabetting people is the right answer as I think the question's wrong. SB is just a vehicle to allow speculation on the financial markets. And who wouldn't do that if they could make it profitable.

An implication of the 'betting' part of the label is that it is just another form of gambling, and therefore high-risk, unmethodical and addictive. It may be addictive, but who wouldn't want to be addicted to making money?

All this makes sense. I'm coming up with a wise yet powerful way to combat this prejudice on spread betting people. Can I just get a few more ideas of the type of people that there are so I can tell him, (pretend), Look. Who do you think is a normal Spread Better? He'll answer something lame and I'll say, Oww yea, I know people who are this and this and spread bet. (none of my other friends do so I can't use them as examples). lol.

Your girls dad is clearly no fool. You are wasting your time gathering stories of successful spread bettors since her dad is likely to be shrewd enough to ask to see proof of YOUR successful spreadbetting, not campfire stories of other peoples unproven successes.
You shouldn't worry about people calling you an immature idiot: you will be called worse than this during your life.:cool:

Addiction to money is great. I get the rush out of it. Seems tomorton does too. Anyone else in here for the rush of making money or other reasons?

I have found spread betting to be a very good way to make a consistent amount profit throughout the week. Especially with all the great deals going on from all the companies... I know of worldspreads and spreadex doing cash back deals...these are definitely worth while especially when starting out.

Does anyone have any other good companies I can use as I have found SpreadEx's spreads to be especially poor and not very helpful staff. Also they dont have 24hr forex markets (dont ask me why, just a way for them to make money) haha

Anyways, any tips would be good thanks! :)

Addiction to money is great. I get the rush out of it. Seems tomorton does too. Anyone else in here for the rush of making money or other reasons?

And with that comment I am now firmly in agreement with your birds dad.

I don't know if finding spreabetting people is the right answer as I think the question's wrong. SB is just a vehicle to allow speculation on the financial markets. And who wouldn't do that if they could make it profitable.

An implication of the 'betting' part of the label is that it is just another form of gambling, and therefore high-risk, unmethodical and addictive. It may be addictive, but who wouldn't want to be addicted to making money?

I don't think that "addicted" is the correct word. I like profits as much as the next person but addiction suggests obsession.

There, also, seems to be a dislike of being called a gambler but spreadbetting is gambling. That is why the tax authorities do not tax it--one is betting on the upward or downward movement of an instrument, be it a share, index, commodity or anything else. It is not like a future where it is possible to take delivery.

I know what I am doing, I'm gambling, albeit as intelligently as I know how.

The good part is that, at my age, I do not have to explain it to a prospective father-in-law. :D

Tell him you could always go back to you old job as a professional bank robber in case your trading is not up to par. Having a back up plan scores many points with the father-in-law!

Peter

If some little toerag turned up wanting to take my daughter out and saying he was planning to be a full-time spread better, I'd kick his @rse and set the dogs on him.

If some little toerag turned up wanting to take my daughter out and saying he was planning to be a full-time spread better, I'd kick his @rse and set the dogs on him.

Post some pics or video here. Share the lulz.

Peter