SPREAD BETTING v FOREX

grandadbruce

Searching for the answer to this from a friend wasn't sure of the answer
wondered if some kind spread better with knowledge of forex would help.

Thanks in advance.

Dear Fellow Traders,

I am relatively new to trading and one point which I’m still a little bit puzzled about is leverage.

Is leverage only applicable to traders who actually buy and sell currencies rather then what I’m doing, which is spread betting?

I keep reading statements such as “Spot Forex is traded in lots. The standard size for a lot is $100,000. There is also a mini lot size and that is $10,000”, and to only open an account with minimum of $1,000.

If I’m using the fundamental money management rule; only risk 2% of my bank in each trade. If I were spread betting and only had an account of $500, why couldn’t I trade 2% of this?

Also for the following example, would anyone be able to answer my question please…

So for example, I’ve opened a standard account with IG Index and have deposited £1000. I’ve decided to be cautious and only risk 2% per trade. My first trade materialises and the initial risk is 30 pips. 2% of my £1000 bank is £20, 30 pips divided by £20 = £0.67 per pip. I would open a trade at £0.67 per pip.

From what I can gather on the example above I’m not using any leverage, is that correct?

This is my first post on Babypips so I hope it goes ok :)

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Spreadbetting does not use leverage as such--you are purely betting a fixed amount per point move. Your example seems right to me ie .67p per.

Yeah keep in mind spread betting is just like the most simply way to make some bucks. Fixed odds per pip basically.

I use Alpari for forex and IG for everything else. Just about to open with Interactive Brokers.