Spread betting the Indices?

I trade the resource weighted FTSE-J200 in South Africa.....looking for an international one as well.....maybe DAX?.......and interrested in some commodities for diversification

Any of you spread betting the indices?

I trade some via betonmarkets nasdaq only though for the indices.

Lots of people do this - I think its much more known and used in the UK than the US. It can be done profitably and is such good fun (can become addictive) but dull old trade planning and money management are key. The indices are not all the same and I'm sure more people go for the Dow, S&P and FTSE100 - does the Nasdaq suit your style best?
Tom

DJI - (MARCH 08)

2 Jan - 13323 - SHORT
22 Jan - 11275 - LONG - to close

2048 x 50 quid = 102,400.00 (GBP)

gotta luv IG -

Any of you spread betting the indices?

I trade some via betonmarkets nasdaq only though for the indices.
Yes I have been... I went long the Dow just before they announced a 50bps cut... the Dow skyrocketed by 80 ticks and made myself enough for a good night out drinking. However, if I had waiting a bit longer I would've made 100 ticks. Never mind eh?

Dji

Yes I have been... I went long the Dow just before they announced a 50bps cut... the Dow skyrocketed by 80 ticks and made myself enough for a good night out drinking. However, if I had waiting a bit longer I would've made 100 ticks. Never mind eh?

the 2000 ticks SHORT from the 2nd to the 22nd would have bought you many nights of drinking ...

:p

If I had seen that coming I would've sold £100 a point and paid off my mortgage! :LOL:

well i went 50 quid a point -

i gotta city m8 who went 500 quid a point - 1.14m in 20 days

keep an eye out for BIG trends - saves the stress...;)

well i went 50 quid a point -

i gotta city m8 who went 500 quid a point - 1.14m in 20 days

keep an eye out for BIG trends - saves the stress...;)
That's fine... however, I couldn't afford to be wrong (or the NTR!) The risk of £500 or even £50 a point would be too much for me... :cry:

That's fine... however, I couldn't afford to be wrong (or the NTR!) The risk of £500 or even £50 a point would be too much for me... :cry:

i agree totally - but you could have tried a fiver and still made 10,140.00 GBP (ish) -

the power of COMPOUNDING - !! - like with mortgages and credit cards - but with those, the effect works in reverse... !!

;)

i agree totally - but you could have tried a fiver and still made 10,140.00 GBP (ish) -

the power of COMPOUNDING - !! - like with mortgages and credit cards - but with those, the effect works in reverse... !!

;)
Its 'scaling' not 'compounding'... very different financial terms. Regardless of how much I bet per tick I still need see to have seen a signal that would have told me the direction to bet. WIthout an entry/exit signal all I would have been doing is gambling!

that particular trade you could have put the stop just 10 points behind - it just went in ONE direction -

trade with the TREND......... !! ;)

Its 'scaling' not 'compounding'... very different financial terms. Regardless of how much I bet per tick I still need see to have seen a signal that would have told me the direction to bet. WIthout an entry/exit signal all I would have been doing is gambling!

tut - i always get confused with financial terms - thats why i dont have a mortgage !!

entry signal - MA pointing SHARPLY DOWNWARDS....

that any good..? :idea:

Since when has TRADING WITH THE TREND been known as " gambling "..? :confused:

swimming against the tide USUALLY ends up one way - !!

Since when has TRADING WITH THE TREND been known as " gambling "..? :confused:

swimming against the tide USUALLY ends up one way - !!
Every trade is a gamble... it's just the odds that change! :p

As with gambling, I only trade with money that I can afford to loose. That's why I don't trade big at the moment. Once I've built up my trading capital I'll experiment with larger trades... :D

As with gambling, I only trade with money that I can afford to loose. That's why I don't trade big at the moment. Once I've built up my trading capital I'll experiment with larger trades... :D

ok, ok i give in - but you could have tried 2 quid and got back 4,056.00 GBP

:p (thats 20 days of a 1 way bet then) - it was only going one way ... !!

If you trade the RIGHT TREND the RIGHT WAY you wont feel like your " gambling " so much

;)