Spread betting at FXCM

Job done cheers j, so that Iam not endlessly badgering you with t station questions are there a heap how to video/info on the station, anywhere?, like changing neg macd histo colour etc
Thanks again

Hi Shadowman,

It's no bother at all, so please feel free to continue asking me questions (y)

While we do have videos to walk you through how to customize your Trading Station, here are the specifics on how to change the histogram color on MACD. You can view the MACD Properties window when you first add the indicator, or if you right click on the existing indicator and select Change Indicator.

2HQb8Hv.png

Left click on the box marked "..." in the HMACD color field. From the window that pops up, you can select a new color for the MACD histogram. Note that it will be the same color for both positive and negative values.

Holiday Trading Hours for May

Below are the trading holidays in May.

XzKiTP7.png

Forex trading hours remain unchanged, opening on Sundays between 22:00 and 22:15 GMT and closing on Fridays at 21:55 GMT. For the holiday schedule for rollover interest (AKA swaps) visit the DailyFX Rollover Calendar.

How do you explain this:

Source (www.ft.com)
FCA fines FXCM £4m for keeping clients' profits
28 minutes ago
Are UK regulators getting serious about protecting people who may be getting ripped off in over-the-counter foreign exchange dealings?

Judging by the size of Wednesday's fine against FXCM, a relatively well-known operator in the market, the scrutiny is ramping up.

The Financial Conduct Authority, the UK's main markets watchdog, has levied a £4m fine on FXCM for withholding as much as £6m in profits that should have been passed on to its customers.

FXCM placed over the counter foreign exchange trades known as rolling spot forex contracts on behalf of retail clients, which were then executed by another part of the FXCM Group, the FCA said.

Over a near four-year period between 2006 and 2010, the company kept the profits from favourable market movements between the time of order and the time of execution between the two units, while any losses were passed on to clients in full – a practice known as "asymmetric price slippage", the regulator said.

Said Tracey McDermott, the FCA's director of enforcement:

Not only did FXCM UK fail to treat its customers fairly or correctly apply our rules, I am particularly disappointed that it was not transparent in its dealings with the FCA.

We expect all firms to put customers at the heart of their business, and we have taken action to ensure clients of FXCM UK will get redress.
As part of the penalty, FXCM will have to repay customers as much as $9.8m owed. The FCA will reclaim what's left after 15 months.

I recall a friend of mine from Europe having problems with this appalling broker. He had a few hundred thousand euro account. Whenever he made profit, fxcm appalling broker deleted all his profitable trades and called it "market abuse" and at the same time, all losing trades were kept on file. Surely they were supposed to be under category "market abuse", but no.

I and friends have experienced bad times with this broker. Even back in 2004 when they kept on giving us re-quotes on our profitable open trades for when we tried to close.

Just look at the stats on NFA website. Most traders lose with FXCM.

The reason why FXCM are so big, is down to the fact they are a slick operation when it comes to PR, advertising, marketing, social media, etc etc. They are experts at this. They also really know how to pull in new folks who have no clue about forex. Only a few make money.

Believe me, even though we make around 50%-80%+ profit every year roughly, we would not make these profits with FXCM as they would take away our profits.

I stick to other brokers who have a clear direction with their customers and nothing is hidden. I do not wish to namedrop in this thread as it is about fxcm and no other broker.

I understand FXCM spreadbetting has been operating only a few years, but FXCM spreadbetting and the standard spot forex FXCM (for when we used them in 2004) is practically the same thing. They have the same dealerdesk for sure.

I know for a fact, if we continue to make around 50%-80%+ profit per year, for the next five years compounded, we will never become multi millionaires with FXCM.

It will just not happen with fxcm. I am sure of it. But no bad problems so far with our alternative currency brokers based in London. No dealerdesk. Been to their offices. Seen that no dealerdesk exists.

But good luck to FXCM. Just wish they change for the current folks that use them, as it needs to be fair environment for all traders. After all, traders should be fighting against each other trading and not having to fight against all traders and brokers. Too many big risks. End of day, broker wins.

I and friends have experienced bad times with this broker. Even back in 2004 when they kept on giving us re-quotes on our profitable open trades for when we tried to close.

Hi Zozo,

A lot has changed since you and your friends traded with FXCM in 2004. Since we introduced No Dealing Desk (NDD) forex execution in 2006, there are no requotes with FXCM. Furthermore, we enhanced our execution system in 2010 to pass on all positive slippage in full making us one of the only brokers currently to allow clients to benefit from price improvements on both market and limit orders. In just 6 months from August 2013 to January 2014, FXCM clients received over $15.5 million in price improvements.

Just look at the stats on NFA website. Most traders lose with FXCM.

The reason why FXCM are so big, is down to the fact they are a slick operation when it comes to PR, advertising, marketing, social media, etc etc. They are experts at this. They also really know how to pull in new folks who have no clue about forex. Only a few make money.

The majority of traders at all brokers lose. A deeper look at these stats reveals that there is a strong correlation between the starting balance of an account and the likelihood that it will be profitable. This is related to factors like leverage, risk management and trading expertise. Experienced traders tend to start with a higher balance and use less leverage which allows them to manage their risk better.

What makes FXCM unique is the amount of resources we put into client education, so traders can learn from these statistics rather than simply becoming part of them. This along with our NDD execution model, which aligns our interests with those of our clients, are two of the main reasons for FXCM's popularity with traders whether they are beginner, intermediate or advanced.

But good luck to FXCM. Just wish they change for the current folks that use them, as it needs to be fair environment for all traders. After all, traders should be fighting against each other trading and not having to fight against all traders and brokers. Too many big risks. End of day, broker wins.

Thank you for your well wishes :) It's people like you who have helped FXCM become one of the only retail forex brokers/spread betting firms that's a publicly-traded company (NYSE ticker: FXCM), which brings up another reason why traders continue to choose FXCM over alternatives: safety of funds. As a publicly-traded company, the details regarding our finances are more readily available than for the vast majority of retail brokers which are privately-held companies. That's why traders have entrusted us with $1.191 billion in client funds as of 31 December, 2013 which is the latest quarterly data.

Trading Hours for Memorial Day

Below are the Memorial Day trading hours for Monday, May 26th. All times listed are in GMT.

Forex trading hours remain unchanged, opening on Sunday between 21:00 and 21:15 GMT and closing on Friday at 20:55 GMT.

1A8Ybii.png

For the holiday schedule for rollover interest (AKA swaps) visit the DailyFX Rollover Calendar.

* While the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX) does not list May 26th as a holiday, they tend to close early on US holidays. That means there's a strong possiblity that AUS200 trading will close early for Memorial Day.

Ninjatrader

Hi Jason,
I have a trading strategy which uses range bars. Do any of the FXCM platforms support this type of chart?
I have a Ninjatrader licence. Can I spreadbet using Ninjatrder with FXCM?
Does FXCM have a VPS service for ninjatrader?
Thanks

Hi Jason,
I have a trading strategy which uses range bars. Do any of the FXCM platforms support this type of chart?

Yes Leemo,

We have a free custom indicator that will allow you to view range bars on our Trading Station platform.

I have a Ninjatrader licence. Can I spreadbet using Ninjatrder with FXCM?

Yes, spread betting is available to UK and Ireland residents on all FXCM platforms including NinjaTrader. If your account balance is at least 5k and you trade at least 500k per month in notional volume, then you can get a free NinjaTrader license.

Does FXCM have a VPS service for ninjatrader?
Thanks

Yes, FXCM clients with an account balance of 5k or more can get free VPS access compatible with all FXCM platforms including NinjaTrader.

Welcome to Trade2Win! :)

Jason,

Thanks for the information.

I used to day trade/scalp crude oil futures which I found too intense because of the fixed risk per tick. I'm looking forward to reducing risk per tick and holding for a few days per trade.

I remember you quoting some figures for the number of profitable traders earlier in this thread but can't find them.

What percentage of spreadbetting traders are profitable versus futures traders? Do you have any industry figure?
Thanks

Last edited:
Jason,

Thanks for the information.

I used to day trade/scalp crude oil futures which I found too intense because of the fixed risk per tick. I'm looking forward to reducing risk per tick and holding for a few days per trade.

Hi Leemo,

With FXCM you'll be able to trade both West Texas Intermediate (USOil) and Brent Crude (UKOil) and risk as little as 10 cents (about 6 pence) per point.

I remember you quoting some figures for the number of profitable traders earlier in this thread but can't find them.

What percentage of spreadbetting traders are profitable versus futures traders? Do you have any industry figure?
Thanks

I believe you're referring to this discussion: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/first-steps/179056-why-do-traders-fail-2.html#post2191136

While the profitability studies looked at forex trades specifically, I imagine the results would be similar in other markets. Traders who use greater than 10:1 effective leverage tend to be less profitable than traders who use less than 10:1 leverage.

Jason,
Opened with fxcm, went to see them as well, (hate London), all good I just opened a regular account i guess i can change it to active trader account (tighter spreads) if criteria are met?

Jason,
Opened with fxcm, went to see them as well, (hate London), all good I just opened a regular account i guess i can change it to active trader account (tighter spreads) if criteria are met?

Yes, you can qualify for Active Trader pricing with a 25k balance or 10M monthly trading volume.

I'll try not to take your comments about London personally. It's one of my favorite cities. Where do you live? :)

I'm trying to make sense of these spreads...

USOIL 5
UKOIL 5
NGAS 10
SPX500 5
Gold 42

Those spreads look ridiculously high!

I'm trying to make sense of these spreads...

USOIL 5
UKOIL 5
NGAS 10
SPX500 5
Gold 42

Those spreads look ridiculously high!

Hi Ktrad,

The correct spreads can be found on our UK website. However, I notice your forum profile mentions that you live in the US. Spread betting accounts are only available to traders in the UK and Ireland. As a US resident, you can trade forex through our US entity.

Welcome to the forum! :)

"we’ll discontinue the Active Trader platform and introduce Active Trader features to our Trading Station Web platform.” - See more at: http://forexmagnates.com/fxcm-enhan...he-active-trader-portal/#sthash.fl5MXjSY.dpuf

Just to clarify, FXCM will still offer Active Trader pricing for qualifying accounts. However, we will discontinue the web-based market-depth platform used by some Active Trader clients, because these features will become available to Active Trader clients on our newer Trading Station Web platform along with other enhancements I'll be able to discuss in the near future. Anyone who wishes to beta-test our new market depth features on Trading Station Web can email a request to [email protected]

Holiday trading hours in July

All times listed are in GMT.

UFHneoK.png

Forex trading hours remain unchanged, opening on Sunday between 21:00 and 21:15 GMT and closing on Friday at 20:55 GMT.

For the holiday schedule for rollover interest (AKA swaps) visit the DailyFX Rollover Calendar.

All times listed are in GMT.

UFHneoK.png

Just a reminder of our holiday hours on Friday which are detailed in my post above (forex hours remain as normal)

I will be out of the office for the July 4th holiday here in the US and will respond to all posts and private messages after I return on Monday, July 7th. For immediate assistance, please call us toll-free anytime 24 hours a day.