Spread betting at FXCM

Jason
What's with the dodgy 18 point gap down on the Dax index this morning at 8am on mt4? Looked across all other data suppliers and yours is the only one! I'm starting to notice more and more discrepancies......

Jason
What's with the dodgy 18 point gap down on the Dax index this morning at 8am on mt4? Looked across all other data suppliers and yours is the only one! I'm starting to notice more and more discrepancies......

Hi fibbinstarchi,

Thanks for your post and our apologies for the delay in not responding yesterday. I looked across other charts and I see the same price action with the index dropping from roughly 8243 - 8224 at 8am. On both MT4 and Trading Station tick chart there was a gap and I also see there was a news release at the same time. Something to keep in mind is the difference in how MT4 is plotting candles from say the Trading Station platform. MT4 starts the new candle on a new tick. If the new candle begins right when an economic release occurs, then you will likely see the market gap on the MT4 chart whereas some charts such as Trading Station will be continuous. During illiquid market conditions such as news releases, rollover, etc. the market will often gap instead of moving continuously tick by tick, and price movement will be dependent on liquidity.

Jason

Hi,

Can I ask how much 1M history is available through MT4? Also, does it differ for live and demo accounts, and also spreadbet/cfd accounts?

I'm having a lot of problems finding a broker that provides a proper amount (5+ years) of 1M historical data.

Note that I'm referring to actual FXCM data, and not historical data provided by Metaquotes through the history Centre.

Thanks

J

Hi,

Can I ask how much 1M history is available through MT4? Also, does it differ for live and demo accounts, and also spreadbet/cfd accounts?

I'm having a lot of problems finding a broker that provides a proper amount (5+ years) of 1M historical data.

Note that I'm referring to actual FXCM data, and not historical data provided by Metaquotes through the history Centre.

Thanks

J

There are quite a few free sources of 1m historical data:

ForexTester: from 2001 (ASCII format)
FXDD (HST format)

There are quite a few free sources of 1m historical data:

ForexTester: from 2001 (ASCII format)
FXDD (HST format)

Thanks for the suggestion.

The issue I have is that while these other sources are indicative of price action, I would really only want to use another data source for EOD pricing.

At a 1M level, the quotes are always different from one broker to another, based on each brokers' liquidity providers. Compare one broker to another on a tick or 1M chart, and you will see what I mean. To test an intraday strategy, I would really only be comfortable using data from the actual broker I intend to trade with.

However, if FXDD make available their own historical data, then perhaps that is a broker I should be looking at.

Thanks

J

Thanks for the suggestion.

The issue I have is that while these other sources are indicative of price action, I would really only want to use another data source for EOD pricing.

At a 1M level, the quotes are always different from one broker to another, based on each brokers' liquidity providers. Compare one broker to another on a tick or 1M chart, and you will see what I mean. To test an intraday strategy, I would really only be comfortable using data from the actual broker I intend to trade with.

However, if FXDD make available their own historical data, then perhaps that is a broker I should be looking at.

Thanks

J

I remember downloading m1 data from FXCM a while ago.

Perhaps Jason can post the link.

Hi,

Thanks

J

Hi J,

Only a couple of months of 1-minute data is available on our MT4 platform, but you can go much further back on Trading Station.

If you must use MT4, then you might want to consider using our Historical Data Downloader (HDD). It allows you to see 1-minute data going back over 10 years. HDD retails for $499 on FXCMapps.com but is available free if you deposit $5000 in an MT4 account.

Jason

Hi J,

Only a couple of months of 1-minute data is available on our MT4 platform, but you can go much further back on Trading Station.

If you must use MT4, then you might want to consider using our Historical Data Downloader (HDD). It allows you to see 1-minute data going back over 10 years. HDD retails for $499 on FXCMapps.com but is available free if you deposit $5000 in an MT4 account.

Jason

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your response.

Can I ask, why does FXCM purposely restrict the amount of historical data available through MT4? Is it a commercial decision so that you can sell this other product you mentioned, or are there other reasons?

It is worth saying up front that I asked another broker the same question and they said it was because the storage requirements were too high to store a large 1M history for all the instruments they publish. I work in IT for the financial sector so can estimate what the typical storage requirements might be, and frankly, that answer was, well, I felt just an excuse, and not the real reason.

Thanks

J

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your response.

Can I ask, why does FXCM purposely restrict the amount of historical data available through MT4? Is it a commercial decision so that you can sell this other product you mentioned, or are there other reasons?

It is worth saying up front that I asked another broker the same question and they said it was because the storage requirements were too high to store a large 1M history for all the instruments they publish. I work in IT for the financial sector so can estimate what the typical storage requirements might be, and frankly, that answer was, well, I felt just an excuse, and not the real reason.

Thanks

J

It's a limitation to do with how MT4 stores this data. That's why Trading Station doesn't have a similar restriction. We offer as much data as we can on MT4 without compromising the performance.

Last edited:
ITA40 will be closed for trading on Thursday, August 15th for Assumption Day. All other CFDs and forex will trade as normal.

wwp6.jpg

Titian's Assunta

"All other CFDs and forex will trade as normal."

Jason

What about SWE30 CFD?

it disappeared from Trading station 2
last month

Hi
No other MT4 platforms had the gap in data, only FXCM, I watch 4 other brokers who use MT4. Weird............

Hi fibbinstarchi,

Thanks for your post and our apologies for the delay in not responding yesterday. I looked across other charts and I see the same price action with the index dropping from roughly 8243 - 8224 at 8am. On both MT4 and Trading Station tick chart there was a gap and I also see there was a news release at the same time. Something to keep in mind is the difference in how MT4 is plotting candles from say the Trading Station platform. MT4 starts the new candle on a new tick. If the new candle begins right when an economic release occurs, then you will likely see the market gap on the MT4 chart whereas some charts such as Trading Station will be continuous. During illiquid market conditions such as news releases, rollover, etc. the market will often gap instead of moving continuously tick by tick, and price movement will be dependent on liquidity.

Hi
No other MT4 platforms had the gap in data, only FXCM, I watch 4 other brokers who use MT4. Weird............

Jason

UK100 will be closed for trading on Monday, August 26th for the Summer Bank Holiday in England.

na6f.jpg

All other CFDs and forex will trade as normal.

Monday is a bank holiday in the US which means a change to rollover and certain CFD trading hours.

1. Rollover: There will be 5x rollover for all TRY (Turkish Lira) pairs and 4x rollover for all other pairs today. On Friday there is 0 rollover for all pairs. This information is always available on the DailyFX Monthly Rollover Calendar.

2. CFD Holiday Hours: Below are the trading hours for CFD's which are impacted by the holiday on Monday September 2. This schedule is representative of our intended hours. Should market conditions dictate, we will deviate from this schedule.

9s3q.png

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jason

HKG33 trading will be closed on October 1st for Hong Kong's National Day and on the 14th for the Chung Yeung Festival.

chung-yeung-festival2.jpg

Last edited:
New trading hours for AUS200

This weekend the clocks in Australia go ahead one hour for Daylight Savings Time. That means starting October 6th, the daily trading hours for AUS200 will be from 22:50 to 20:00 GMT with a midday break from 05:30 to 06:10.