Split or no split

combotrader

Hi Guys

I am joining a prop firm with my own capital. I have narrowed it down to 2. One is offering me a free course to join with their new grads and then a 2 year mentorship. I trade my own money after the course so I have more say but they still mentor me. But they take a profit split. I also pay desk fees - reduced at first , then normal rates.

The other one does not want a split. I take 100% risk and the same in profits. I still pay desk fees, reduced while I am on the sim, then normal rates when i trade for real.

My question is - the last one has no real incentive to make me a better trader. At least with the 1st one - the more I make, the more they make as the result of the split ( not counting desk fees). I dont know which one to go for. The non split one is a directional shop - which is my type. The split one is a spread house but I can do directional as well.

Does anyone have any advice ?
Thanks
CT.

Why would you go on a sim trading your own money? Why would you give someone half your profits out of your own money? I'd take none of them if it was me.

On the split deal, is the prop firm offering better terms, lower round trip costs, capital for leverage etc?

Masq -I want to go prop cos I cannot trade from home - too many distractions

Brendanvest - Yes, the split shop is offering 4:1 intraday leverage, non split 2:1 to start with - but wil increase as I am more profitable. Comms on bund/bobl is the same.

Last edited:
I can understand why you want to go prop. But either they back you and take a split or you put up your own money and pay desk fee/RT's and take 100% profits. There's no way you should put up your own money, pay the desk fee and then give them half your profits too. That's an awful deal.

Personally, I'd go with the prop firm that has the best reputation.

Bear in mind that just because you are going to a prop firm doesn't mean they will make you a profitable trader. (unless you already are of course...)

A split of profits to a prop firm that has taught you how to trade profitably is better than taking 100% of nothing ....

Can you say who the two firms are ?

Thanks guys.

Yes I am profitable trading from home.

The split at Schneider is 70/30 ( in favor of trader ie me) before 50k account size and 90/10 if 50K+
At Futex they actually charge for their course !! That is BS according to me.

I dont need the course. the benefit at STA is the lower desk fees for a few months after the 4 week course which if I do I get the lower desk fees
At Futex - its 1k to trade on the sim if you`re self backed and thereafter normal fees.
Futex is directional so more suited to my style.
Ta
Combo

If you are putting up your own money there is no way you should pay a split. If it was my own dough I would ask for three months fee free. On a split I would look for 80/20 and a month fee free.

Personally I would look for a backed deal on a 70/30, 80/20 split and keep my hard earned in my pocket.