Smart Live Markets - Spread Bet on MT4

I happened to note down the time that the FTSE 100 index was actually available this morning and like Gle101 says it was one and a half minutes late and UK equities were worse at up to 3 minutes. The UK equities prices are slow to show relative to other SB's and when they do they are always greyed out for a while.

Hi
Well I have just cheked your account.
You certainly dealt at a good rate for you.
All I can say is that for a few minutes after those figures came out the markets were very volatile and some of the crosses (GBPJPY etc) were somewhat erratic.
It does seem we may have been a little high, (certainly not 40 pips though) which I will look into.
Regards
SLM

I just re-checked myself and I think I got around 15 pips better price on GU...obviously it worked to my benefit - as soon as I saw the price difference it was a no brainier to close a long position!

At the very maximum it was around 40 pips difference though, @ 16.07 your price was 1.5664 and the average price on other brokers was 1.5626.

But like you said it was a fast moving market at the time as we just had the Philly Fed manufacturing data which was worse than expected (a common trend of the US at the moment!) which caused USD to strengthen across the board. :)

Hi
Well obviously that should not be happening. I can assure you we would never switch off or disable a market over figures, so I cannot for the life of me think why that happened. All I can say is that if you get a problem like that then please call up on the phone or Live Chat and let us know at the time. There is not a lot we can do after the event. I will of course let our IT dept know about this issue. Thanks. Regards SLM

Strange.

For what its worth, its happening again this very second on SPX and DOW. (ws30SB)

And again, news was out a few mins ago which resulted in a sharp drop.
I haven't phoned up because it doens't affect me this time as I dont wish to place any new trades as yet.

Heres a screenshot to show you what I mean.
You see that there is no 'trading' option above the 'expert advisors' option where there usually is. (and is now on most other instruments on my screen. GBPUSD is fine for example)

Cheers

Attachments

• notrsml.JPG
    notrsml.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 164
Total freeze and crash at Existing Home sales new release today, at least on my side. SLM is really being tested now.

Yes a severe loss of prices here too. No ftse 100 trading allowed from 15.00 for about 11 minutes. Loss of shares gradually occurred from 3pm. The ftse quote was around 10 points behind and greyed out so trading was unavailable.
This morning the FTSE 100 wasn't available to trade until 8.01 and 35 seconds with shares slow to show, ie BP quote only available from 8.03 and 35 seconds.
The server needs upgrading urgently?

Yes a severe loss of prices here too. No ftse 100 trading allowed from 15.00 for about 11 minutes. Loss of shares gradually occurred from 3pm. The ftse quote was around 10 points behind and greyed out so trading was unavailable.
This morning the FTSE 100 wasn't available to trade until 8.01 and 35 seconds with shares slow to show, ie BP quote only available from 8.03 and 35 seconds.
The server needs upgrading urgently?

In response to everyone's problems..... oh dear. Oh dear oh dear.

SLM what's going on?

It can't just be a gremlin in the system as people partaking on this thread are having these issues with price and so I wonder how many others are who don't know about this thread??

I would love this to be resolved and fixed and all be working 100%.

I've noticed everyone's problem is either the price is chronically wrong or the platform denies all trading for a while on a market. We can't trade like this. I know SB companies have had their issues over the years but when other SB companies (I think someone mentioned Tradefair the other day) are quoting open market real price at the same time SLM are off-line for trading or pulling prices out of thin air then, well, we can't use them - I know I can't.

SLM I'm really on your side please fix this!!

Sidenote: has anyone hit the F9 key in MT4 on a chart where the market seems untradeable? This brings up an order ticket - this should be the final proof that a chart you are looking at is closed for trading.

TOC

Strange.

For what its worth, its happening again this very second on SPX and DOW. (ws30SB)

And again, news was out a few mins ago which resulted in a sharp drop.
I haven't phoned up because it doens't affect me this time as I dont wish to place any new trades as yet.

Heres a screenshot to show you what I mean.
You see that there is no 'trading' option above the 'expert advisors' option where there usually is. (and is now on most other instruments on my screen. GBPUSD is fine for example)

Cheers

Thanks for taking the effort to prove it via screenshot - very helpful.

As gle101 just said, SLM are really be tested now and I think if they don't reseolve this issue literally for good then it's going to hurt them badly as a business as this thread will remain up for everyone to see even if it goes dead at some point in the future.

I really do understand that the open of any market is a volatile mad rush and prices can go mad and everyone wants their fill right now etc etc and I understand bookies (SB brokers) have to cover their butts at all times so if they can't get in to hedge then they're gonna shut the door to the trader for some time until things slow down.... but realistically if a broker cannot provide us with the chance to always take part in the market open every day then it's no good as there are other brokers that can do this and also let's be fair, the market IS actually open for business on the open, so we should be able to play our part with no restrictions.

Hopefully this is just another teething issue due to a weak server which will be tightened up before people lose interest in them.

TOC

A good thing, SLM has reduced the spread on the FTSE and DAX indices after hours trading (probably until the US market closes).

A good thing, SLM has reduced the spread on the FTSE and DAX indices after hours trading (probably until the US market closes).

Ahhhh yes well spotted I'm just looking now on my trusty demo account! See this is a great thing! Any intraday player on the FTSE or any major euro index can keep playing at 1 point spread until the Western financial world goes to bed.

So come on SLM! You have the potential to get better and better and offer great things, you already offer great things, we just need this s*dding price/offline market thing sorted!!!

TOC

EDIT: I say the word "play" as a wry joke, of course. Until this very serious issue gets resolved then we can't trade these affected markets seriously...

Last edited:
FTSE indices this morning was opened for trading exactly on time, very good.

Hello Everyone.
Thank you for all your comments as always.
Starting any new business you arways get gremlins, and yes we have had a few.

Firstly I am please to announce that we have reduced the margin requrement for Indices to 3% from 5%. I hope that helps people. I know this is not as low as some out there, but as I have explained before, it is better than the real world, and our other margins like EurUsd are very low.

We have also extend the time that we quote the Europen Indices on 1 pip to 9pm.

With regards to the pricing problem experienced on Tuesday 24th by people, I can confirm there was an issue. This occured at 15:00:03 and was caused by a massive surge of price updates from Reuters who feed us our stock prices. This inturn swamped MT4, which gets a bit flustered when that happens.

We have liased with Reuters and MetaQuotes and think we have come up with a solution. Why this happened on Tuesday in particular is strange, given the fact that other data has been out and moved the market with no effect. But hopefully this is fixed.

On a happier note I am please to announce that from September we are introducing our £250 Refer a Friend scheme. This is for Live account holders to reccommend friends to open a Live account. T&Cs apply and will be posted on our website next week.

Regards
SLM

Hello Everyone.
Thank you for all your comments as always.
Starting any new business you arways get gremlins, and yes we have had a few.

Firstly I am please to announce that we have reduced the margin requrement for Indices to 3% from 5%. I hope that helps people. I know this is not as low as some out there, but as I have explained before, it is better than the real world, and our other margins like EurUsd are very low.

We have also extend the time that we quote the Europen Indices on 1 pip to 9pm.

With regards to the pricing problem experienced on Tuesday 24th by people, I can confirm there was an issue. This occured at 15:00:03 and was caused by a massive surge of price updates from Reuters who feed us our stock prices. This inturn swamped MT4, which gets a bit flustered when that happens.

We have liased with Reuters and MetaQuotes and think we have come up with a solution. Why this happened on Tuesday in particular is strange, given the fact that other data has been out and moved the market with no effect. But hopefully this is fixed.

On a happier note I am please to announce that from September we are introducing our £250 Refer a Friend scheme. This is for Live account holders to reccommend friends to open a Live account. T&Cs apply and will be posted on our website next week.

Regards
SLM
Thanks a lot for the information. It is good thing that you confirm the price feed problem experienced by traders, this kind of communication will be appreciated by your clients. I am impressed that you act so quickly on your clients need. This is something new in the industry.

<< On a happier note I am please to announce that from September we are introducing our £250 Refer a Friend scheme.>>

£250 credit, or £250 for your friend?

<< On a happier note I am please to announce that from September we are introducing our £250 Refer a Friend scheme.>>

£250 credit, or £250 for your friend?

Hi
Details will follow on the website. You get up to £250 for each friend you recommend that opens an account and trades. The total of their opening bet stakes for a month, up to £250 in total, will be credited to your account. So if they do 10 bets of £5 per point, then that would £50 to you etc.

We think that this is different, and a lot better than most offers by other firms.
Considering that you are helping us get business without employing extra sales staff or advertising, then its a no brainer !

Regards
SLM

Hi
Details will follow on the website. You get up to £250 for each friend you recommend that opens an account and trades. The total of their opening bet stakes for a month, up to £250 in total, will be credited to your account. So if they do 10 bets of £5 per point, then that would £50 to you etc.

We think that this is different, and a lot better than most offers by other firms.
Considering that you are helping us get business without employing extra sales staff or advertising, then its a no brainer !

Regards
SLM

OK, thanks. That sounds good for the referrer, but not much of an incentive for those of us who want to try the platform without much risk. How about splitting it between the two?

OK, thanks. That sounds good for the referrer, but not much of an incentive for those of us who want to try the platform without much risk. How about splitting it between the two?

Hi
For the last 3 months we have been offering up to £300 cash back on losses, I thought that was quite fair, and gave people a nice cushion. That offer closes shortly.

If people want to split the Refer a Friend then thats up to them.

Regards
SLM

Last edited:
Any high rollers fancy opening an account using big stakes, feel free to name me as your referer!
How about you Arabian, you Gay lord?

Hi
For the last 3 months we have been offering up to £300 cash back on losses, I thought that was quite fair, and gave people a nice cushion. That offer closes shortly.

If people want to spit the Refer a Friend then thats up to them.

Regards
SLM
Honestly, I don't like any of these fancy deals. It is best in the long run to give, excellent platform service, good execution and very competitive spreads. Somewhere you have take the money in order to pay for it, and I prefer not to pay for it in some other way.