Smart Live Markets - Spread Bet on MT4

Re: Meta Trader 4

Oops, feel like a newb LOL - was installing them in the old directory -- will try the proper one and report back.

edit: all working now, thanks for the help. :).

Last edited:

@BlackSwan:

Leaving aside SLM, and MT4, etc, for the moment, I have often wondered why there are not more defenders of FXCM here on T2W. Apart from your good self and "Jason", none come to mind. I haven't done a recent trawl, but I have done in the past, and was surprised not to get more "feel" for the way people felt about FXCM. There wasn't much "anti", either, but I expected a bit more "pro". Same thing with Prospreads, actually, because on the face of it, both outfits appeared to offer the best of both worlds to the spread-better: fast execution on a DMA-"like" platform, coupled with the simplicity and tax-free advantages of the SB model.

I've been on the point of signing up a few times, but each time I've had some lingering or nagging doubt, or just on some occasions it was not the right time for whatever reason. I'm sure I will give them a go at some point, but ...

So, anyway, why are there not more fans here do you think?
Yes, but you do pay a hefty price on both of them. FXCM are quite big on FX as I understand it. Financial SB is another matter altogether, you have to adjust the spread in order to compete, there are just to many good offers right now. I would love to try FXCM on SB, but the spread have to come in line with the others in order to make me interested. I have to say from my perspective, the most interesting company at the moment is SLM, and I will for sure give them a try, to find out if they deliver just as good service on a live account.

Leaving aside SLM, and MT4, etc, for the moment, I have often wondered why there are not more defenders of FXCM here on T2W. Apart from your good self and "Jason", none come to mind. I haven't done a recent trawl, but I have done in the past, and was surprised not to get more "feel" for the way people felt about FXCM. There wasn't much "anti", either, but I expected a bit more "pro". Same thing with Prospreads, actually, because on the face of it, both outfits appeared to offer the best of both worlds to the spread-better: fast execution on a DMA-"like" platform, coupled with the simplicity and tax-free advantages of the SB model.

Why would any trader be defending FXCM or Prospreads or any other broker for that matter? Yes, post your good or bad experience I understand. But anyone that goes beyond that or passionately supports a broker at any cost is merely advertising and/or acting out of self interest. To your question above if there is not much support for a broker on any forum that speaks volumes but feel free to try them and see for yourself.

Why would any trader be defending FXCM or Prospreads or any other broker for that matter? Yes, post your good or bad experience I understand. But anyone that goes beyond that or passionately supports a broker at any cost is merely advertising and/or acting out of self interest. To your question above if there is not much support for a broker on any forum that speaks volumes but feel free to try them and see for yourself.

"Defenders" probably wasn't the right word. Fans, I suppose, or simply people willing to relate their experiences, positive or negative. Most of the firms that I can think of have a fair scattering of people coming on to talk about them, both good and bad experiences. Barely a week goes by without some mention of IG, or CS for example. FXCM doesn't seem to come into that category at all, and I'm curious as to why not.

So, let me turn this around if I may. Have you tried them Pipstar, and if not, why not?

montmorencyt2w;1160132So said:
I tried FXCM many times over many years but with them it is always the same with slippage on entry, slippage on exit and excessive spreads in fast markets. But since there is another thread about FXCM on this board, I think that we should from now on discuss SLM on this thread and FXCM on their own thread.

I tried FXCM many times over many years but with them it is always the same with slippage on entry, slippage on exit and excessive spreads in fast markets. But since there is another thread about FXCM on this board, I think that we should from now on discuss SLM on this thread and FXCM on their own thread.
Yes I agree. SLM is a far more interesting company as well from a SB point of view.

GLE do u trade ? :D
Just the demo account for the moment. I have the past two weeks set up all my MT4 scripts and I have find them all to work as intended. I will join them any day now. It is hard not trying out this company in live trading.

It would be appreciated, if the ones who do trade live with SLM will post their experience on this thread.

Last edited:

Just the demo account for the moment. I have the past two weeks set up all my MT4 scripts and I have find them all to work as intended. I will join them any day now. It is hard not trying out this company in live trading.

i meant u always active here in these boards , do u really have time to trade :D ...

regards

i meant u always active here in these boards , do u really have time to trade :D ...

regards
I have in the recent year cut down on my posting on this forum. Nice though at times to participate in the discussion.:)

@BlackSwan:

I've been on the point of signing up a few times, but each time I've had some lingering or nagging doubt, or just on some occasions it was not the right time for whatever reason. I'm sure I will give them a go at some point, but ...

Sorry Mike, only just seen this, tbh I reckon most brokers and SB firms are much of a muchness...there's just so much bu11sh1t re. how they're all tw@ts, constantly looking in your pockets that it tends to drown out the good or more importantly normal experiences..

As I've stated ad nauseum the complaints always go down relative to the experience; even the long term unsuccessful traders grudgingly begin to accept that "it is them" and not the SB firm or broker..

Here's a funny case in point dbfx as big and as good as it gets, they use fxcm's skin for the trading platform and marketscope which imho is as good as MT4, anyhow lots of folk on forums saying dbfx/fxcm are lucifer in disguise, mis repping folk, "who are these people dbfx, who is jerking who off?"..:LOL:

Fook me, they're using very good technology that's already out there, tried, tested and robust, but ooh no it's a conspiracy to defraud, one guy even reckoned dbfx were a 2 bob organisation...:rolleyes: Only diff I've noticed is that dbfx spreads are tighter, for example by up to 1 pip on GBP/JPY, consistently quoting 3 today...

So, FXCM? Great. DBFX? Great. Dukascopy? Great...Traders who moan? Full of 5hite for the most part..;)

...I do believe they execute well, with that kind of wide spread it is hard to avoid any problems whatsoever with re-quotes and such.

Except that FXCM's CFD's have no re-quotes. What good is an advertised spread if you're not sure if it's actually available to trade on, and have to waste time waiting on a re-quote when it does happen. I can understand some traders are willing to take that chance.

Anyway, to see them on this thread it looks like they are worried about this new company SLM offering MT4. And frankly if they want to discuss their products, FXCM should do so on their own thread.

FXCM was being discussed well in advance of my reply post , but feel free to post any questions/discussion on the FXCM discussion thread

-Jason

Except that FXCM's CFD's have no re-quotes. What good is an advertised spread if you're not sure if it's actually available to trade on, and have to waste time waiting on a re-quote when it does happen. I can understand some traders are willing to take that chance.
-Jason
If you pay for a wide spread, there is less chance of a re-quotes or "price no longer valid" message, that is a fact. I am inclined to say most traders is not willing to pay an extra fee, in order to be "insured" against a re-quote.

If you pay for a wide spread, there is less chance of a re-quotes or "price no longer valid" message, that is a fact. I am inclined to say most traders is not willing to pay an extra fee, in order to be "insured" against a re-quote.

I'm inclined to agree, although City/Fins with 1pt Dow spread still doesn't give too many 'price moved' rejections.

I'm inclined to agree, although City/Fins with 1pt Dow spread still doesn't give too many 'price moved' rejections.
Yes, I am kind of puzzled with City. They still keep the 1 point spread on the Dow and apparently executing well.

Technical point re MT4 - is it possible to unstick the various panels - esp. the charts?
I want to use two monitors and would love to slide the chart across . . web-based platforms can do this but can MT4?
Cheers