Smart Live Markets - Spread Bet on MT4

gle101 - that's fair comment if that's your own personal experience and then that's all you need to go by.. requotes and slippage may occurr anywhere including SLM, but appears not to be a massive issue with the "majority" here so far (some exceptions). The question i would be asking on top of that though is what about once you are in the trade... how often are you gonna get a "realistic" and "optimum" outcome in your favour (price not seemingly jigging around at every turn looking for any excuse to put you in the negative regardless of your correct analysus of the market). In the future maybe we'll see some kinda of formal statement from these bucket types like CS or FXCM to say that tampering with price is most definitely not on their agenda with some kind of respectable proof....about as possible as my mother's pet cat lifting the world cup for England!

i'll just keep looking practising and saving until i'm ready and in the meantime keeping tabs on newcomers like SMl and see what gives i think.. MT4 (mt5 lol) is a plus to start with for me personally.

k
When I am talking about slippage I am not referring the a point or so (although with CS in the past month I have non). In fact, I got slipped with SLM more than my stop loss, when that happens a couple of times without a gap in the real market I just stop trade with the company, and wait for them to get it sorted out. Apparently SLM has taken care of this issue as no more reports on this recently appeared on this thread. If the real market has no gap one should not accept slippage with any SB company.

" I got slipped with SLM more than my stop loss,"

that's worrying but if they're sorting it then hopefully thats gonna be cool. guess time will tell...

"If the real market has no gap one should not accept slippage with any SB company."

with you 100% there

you are going to get "slippage" with any company from time to time

and dont mistake the spot market for the futures market
Yes correct, natural slippage is a part of trading and is based on the underlying movement of the asset in question. SB has an issue with the fixed spread, and that can cause some problems for the SB, if the underlying asset temporary has a wider spread.

that wasnt really my point

take FTSE for example
many people who sb think they are trading FTSE100 but they are not
you cannot trade the index

you can only really trade ftse Futures and the same applies to sb firms

and futures can move a great deal faster than the cash
so sometimes you either get a requote or you get slippage

in a fast market you may get both

if you dont like it, you can always try DMA

take FTSE for example

Is this post directed towards me? If so please post in connection to my post. The price quoted by the SB on the rolling daily is not based solely on the future but a combination of different underlying asset with a a algorithm used by the SB for the instrument in question. With SB you can trade the future as well and it should mirror the movement of the real future. I think one have to define slippage, you have SB "designer" slippage and you have the real market slippage. The former should not be accepted as a proper behavior by the SB, while the later is OK as it reflect the movement of the real market. Yes, you get re-quotes and slippage at times with SB, this is OK as long as it within acceptable levels. I have been trading the DMA and SB for quite many years and got good experience of both.

take FTSE for example

It's important to remember that you're trading a market provided by the SB, so whether you may have been slipped in the underlying 'real' market is really incidental. In other words, that should be their problem, not ours.

Oh, forgot to say:

CME now offers E-mini and E-micro FX futures. Exciting stuff, but be warned the E-micros are very illiquid I think, i could be wrong, but they're quite new and haven't really taken off. However, the E-mini FX futs are liquid enough I believe (if anyone knows better please correct me).

The price movement on the E-mini EURUSD is $1.25 (1 tenth of full contract).

These should really be more exciting than the mini and micro FX accounts out there, as they are traded on a proper exchange with no nasty tricks, tiny spreads which rarely widen, no overnight fees etc...

Am thinking of opening an account with Lion Futures (Jim from James16 fame recommended them a while ago as a discount no-frills broker) and giving the E-mini FX a go. I'd rather pay 1 pip true spread, no overnight fees, have the security of indisputable exchange data, get quick fills even in NFP and heavy news etc than keep fighting these sodding SB/FX brokers at every turn.

Are you sure it's 1/10th of a full contract and only $1.25?

I just went googling for E-mini currency futures, and found some information that it was a half a full contract, i.e. half of $12.50 = $6.25.

Might be a bit much for people with small accounts, or anyone who just wants to put a toe in the water before they get in too deep. The ticker symbol is E7, apparently, so we can check we are talking about the same thing.

Maybe it's the micro that's 1/10th?

EDIT:

Yes, just looked at Lion Futures, and when you look at the list of instruments, although it shows on the link, E-Mini (and E-7), when you click it, it shows it as E-Micro, with this info:

Contract Size 12,500 euros
Contract Month Listings Two months in the March quarterly cycle (Mar, Jun, Sep, Dec)
Settlement Procedure Physically Delivered*
Position Accountability 100,000 E-micro contracts
Ticker Symbol M6E

View product and vendor codes
Minimum Price Fluctuation (Tick) 0.0001 USD/EUR (=US$1.25)
Contract Value If USD/EUR = 1.3000 then contract = $16,250 (= €12,500 x $1.3000/€)

Note ticker symbol, M6E, not E7, which is the true E-Mini Euro. (for which I note the margin is around $2k).

I've sent them an email about it.

EDIT2: CME info:

http://www.cmegroup.com/trading/fx/fx/forex-e-micros.html

EDIT3: Spec from CME for E-Mini Euro:

http://www.cmegroup.com/trading/fx/g10/e-mini-euro-fx_contract_specifications.html

Last edited:
It's important to remember that you're trading a market provided by the SB, so whether you may have been slipped in the underlying 'real' market is really incidental. In other words, that should be their problem, not ours.

which is the argument i have been trying to shout from the rooftops.

For anyone who doesn't know what we are talking about, they have said they want to be more competitive......and so they have increased the spread on EUR/USD to 1.5!

OK, they are reducing the spread on other things, but probably nothing I'd want to trade.
I believe Mongolian Yak Nuts/Tibetan Fish Tails is an absolute steal.

So that's what 5-decimal pricing was all about.

hmm.

Not impressed! Sure, they are cutting the spread on EUR/GBP from 2 pips to 1.8 pips, but I bet the 'variable' part goes waaaay over 2.2 pips when, for example, I'm trading a huge news spike.

All is forgiven IG Index. Oh wait, I can't run MT4. Still...

Really hope this doesnt mean SLM are having troubles. I only really trade EUR/USD, GBP/USD and EUR/GBP with EUR/USD being about 70%. I now get a min + 0.5 point spread on EUR/USD, -0.2 on EUR/GBP (my least traded) and no change on the other. Although i may now also look at USD/CAD and AUD/USD as they now have almost half the spread they used to. Its the 'variable' bit that bothers me. Variable spreads mean they can legitimately widen the spread at will to take out groups of stops etc.

Gauging by the response of everyone this does not look like a vote winner.

I for one can only see this as a benefit to SLM, yes granted some spreads will be reduced but by them being variable they can also be increased by far more than some would be willing to pay.

I think we have been sold a red herring here, we were all told at the start when they came on the scene that SLM were here for us and to help us but I think this is a move in the wrong direction, this has been done to boost or protect SLM's bottom line not ours. :( (n)

I assume the spread cannot be changed once you're in the trade, so you get a chance to check it before you enter - have to be very quick minded though! I don't like it:(