Smart Drugs, Nootropics, Concentration enhancers

Directional

Experienced member
Nootropics, or so-called "smart drugs," are substances used to increase the faculties of the mind. The word derives from noos or mind and tropos to bend. Proponents claim that these substances enhancemental performance in a variety of ways, bolstering cognition, lucidity, memory, mood, oxygen and glucose utilization, or blood circulation in the brain, or a combination of the these or other factors.

This thread is for the discussion of supplements and their beneficial effects (or otherwise) on concentration and trading.

Back when I first took up full time trading, I'd been developing quite a taste for coffee... something of a connoseuir I'd import exotic beans and hand grind them myself and as I was now spending 10-12hours in front of a screen I would always have a pot of my filtered finest on the go. We all know caffeine is great for a kick in the morning, especially if you're starting early when the European markets open at 7am.

I became increasingly aware after six or nine months at my screen that my general health and certainly my concentration was suffering a bit. I'd definately let my fitness regime slide, and the sedentiary existence of slouching in a chair at my screen wasnt keeping my herculean body in all its usual greek god/peter andre glory.

Add to that, that I'd unconciously been getting into "chain drinking" coffee... I'd always have a cup on the go at the screen... I'd half drink it by which time it'd gone cold so I'd pour me another one. in the 12hr market session I'd probably be getting through about 20+ cups of coffee. Now you'd think all that caffeine would keep me wired all day (and night) but i was actually finding it hard to keep my focus in the afternoons and feeling very weary, and apart from gurning a bit I was also getting the occasional palpatation which was much more of a concern.

Now I'm quite aware that caffeine is a "real" drug as I had a bit of a bad experience in my mid teens with Pro-Plus - I was something of a raver at the time and wanting to be able to dance non-stop for 12hrs like my peers without having to delve into the world of speed and E, I somewhat naively hit upon the idea of buying a large box of Pro-plus and necked about 80 or 90 of these not-very-tasty pills in the pursuit of endless energy :eek: . I sort of got my wish as I was absolutely buzzing for about two hours before I was extremely ill and violently sick for about two days! :rolleyes: I later discovered that caffeine hits toxic levels at around 2000mg and I'd comfortably got well past the 4000mg level, so I'm probably lucky to still have a working liver.

Anyway, caffeine still doesnt seem to agree with me in large doses. I cut coffee out totally for about a month and got a few nasty headaches for the first few days as I cold-turkeyed. Your body does actually build a dependance on caffeine whether you're aware of it or not. So although I still enjoy an occasional coffee, over the last few years I've taken an active interest in "brain foods" and alternative supplements, as well as healthy drinks.

I've been taking the effevescent Berocca tablets for a while, in conjunction with a high concentration anti-oxidant "thermogenic" supplement called "Formula Power" from NutriHealth, along with vitamin E and Omega 3 that between them seem to give me a really clear head all day.

I've also been drinking a lot of green tea - which also seems to help keep me alert much better way than coffee (which gets me going in the morning, it just seems to make me muddled if I drink too much) and I've just recently started drinking herbal tea from Peru - which aside from the obvious content kick, contains all kinds of herbal goodness and bioflavanoids that seem to be contributing to a refreshingly clear head and good concentration.

A side effect of all these anti-oxidants also seems to be a really good complexion! sitting in a hot office during daylight hours doesnt normally lend itself to a healthy pallor.

I also beleive that a healthy body is part and parcel of a healthy mind, and ive made a point of trying to keep fit by running a mile or two every morning before the open, and I also recently entered myself for a half-marathon in september. I'm trying to build up my stamina and skeletal muscles and i've been taking a (legal) herbal extract supplement called Ephedrine during my weekend training.. I beleive this product falls under "performance enhancing" rather than nootropics, but it certainly wires me up in a whizz-like way and I estimate my endurance is improved by around 40% compared to non-ephedrine runs. I'm not sure if there are trading/concentration benefits to be obtained from ephedrine as it makes me a bit fidgety when i'm sat down, and I'd rather be clear headed at the screen than bursting with energy.

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else has done much experimentation or taken any supplements that they've found to be beneficial personally.

Last edited:
Water. Lots of it.

Ephedrine?

Ephedrine (EPH) is a sympathomimetic amine almost identical in structure to the synthetic derivatives amphetamine and methamphetamine. Ephedrine is commonly used as a stimulant, appetite suppressant, concentraton aid, decongestant and to treat hypotension associated with regional anaesthesia. Chemically, it is an alkaloid derived from various plants in the genus Ephedra (family Ephedraceae). It is most usually marketed in the hydrochloride and sulfate forms.

In traditional Chinese medicine, the herb ma huang (Ephedra sinica) contains ephedrine as its principal active constituent. The same is true of other herbal products containing extracts from Ephedra species. Nagayoshi Nagai was the first one to isolate ephedrine from Ephedra vulgaris in 1885. The substance called soma mentioned in old Hindu books such as the Rig Veda, may have been ephedra extract.

{source: Wikipedia}

I experimented with Ephedrine some years ago and can confirm the dosage is quite critical, or comical, depending on your perspective. :LOL: :eek:

interesting post arb, just a point on fitness and health and its as usual a very vague couple of lines, non referenced from me.

Listening to radio some bod giving the latest evidence as far as potential maximum human life expectancy goes, a low caloried diet , (I think he was implying a lower intake than current reco levels 2400 for men) will give a higher life expectancy than someone who eats well and exercises, which will give a person better than average life expectancy but not max.

Interesting but makes sense as a lot of sports people, tennis players for example will on average live * 5 years less due to their fitness levels (*JP MAC), over doing it i guess.

hmm ive found some info...

link here, studied on the usual small animal etc, suggested likely for humans too...

calorie restriction.......

http://www.scientificpsychic.com/health/crondiet.html

and I must admit, i probably eat sub 2000 calories a day....

So extrapolating from the combined data, if I eat nothing and stay perfectly still - I should live forever.

TheBramble said:
So extrapolating from the combined data, if I eat nothing and stay perfectly still - I should live forever.

lol - would there be any point doing this? you will acheive the exact same result of staying perfectly still and eating nothing when you die... :LOL:

Just enjoy life to the full and get a head transplant when the time comes. Will be simpler, even if you do end up with a body from the gulag.