SLAyers' Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the reply.

Based on my reading of your book, I would expect that large buyers and sellers (market movers) who watch longer intervals are still well aware of the April - July range. I think it’s correct to consider the top of this range an area of past “intense interest.” As buyers and sellers “seek value”, they could re-arrive at the top level as value -- despite there being considerable buying and selling above and below it more recently.

If they were to arrive at that level as value, it would most likely be coincidental. I suspect that what longer-timeframe traders are looking at is the range from 3900 to 4700. As long as the daily DL holds along with this range we're in, I see no reason why price can't test 4700.

Db

NQ Daily: DL intact. Approaching apex of hinge.
NQ Daily: DL intact.

Gringo

Attachments

• tvc_7097f48226b40ffe55a6e3253c6553db.png
    tvc_7097f48226b40ffe55a6e3253c6553db.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 155
  • tvc_933fefe1865de8cb4410dc9211a4747e.png
    tvc_933fefe1865de8cb4410dc9211a4747e.png
    35.2 KB · Views: 162
I get an apex closer to 4560. Am I drawing it wrong?
I had eyeballed it. The idea that it was close enough was for me what was important. When I look at a hinge I see where the apex might be by looking at the transactions in the middle.

Gringo

NQ Daily: DL breach. RET.

Gringo

Attachments

• tvc_37c04edf430cde145e9eef07a5de0a67.png
    tvc_37c04edf430cde145e9eef07a5de0a67.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 180
Sorry, I don't understand this current channels you have drawn.

I would have drawn a lateral range on the weekly...

Netting of Trend and Location within Trend

Hi Db,

The 2014 NQ analysis in the SLA and AMT sections of your book describes trading decisions where WEEK and DAY are in an uptrends and each is meeting resistance at a long-term trend channel.

Usually multi-time frame approaches stipulate that the time frame traded should have the same trend as the 2 larger time frames. In the SLA/AMT, both longs and shorts are proposed for MIN60, the shorts being counter-trend to the larger time frames.

I take it then that you interpret a bounce off resistance as a counter to an uptrend that effectively neutralizes it ? Alternatively one might say that when price is at resistance, the median line exerts a pull that neutralizes the established price trend ? In that interpretation, both DAY and WEEK are neutral, and thus MIN60 can trade in the direction of its own trend, independent of DAY and WEEK ? Does that capture the SLA netting out that permits both longs and shorts for MIN60 when DAY and WEEK are in uptrends ?

Presumably the pull of the median line would be strongest when price is at the support trend line, as there both the trend and the median line exert force in the same direction, rather than neutralizing each other. And there, shorts would not be such a good idea. Of course nothing new about buying at support, I’m just trying to see this from an SLA/AMT pov.

Regards, aka_ces

Last edited:
Since my last post price spent most of the week churning around the upper limit of the range I posted without really making any progress to the upside. Thursdays close saw price give up and drop off to the mean where it spent the overnight session ranging.

Despite an opening BO there was no entry ret and price returned to the range, the BO did not happen until 40 minutes after open and one would have to be quick as it happens fast, which is what one wants to see with a BO.

The point of interest is the first break of stride, given what one believes is the most probable direction of price from the hourly what does a trader do at this point?

Stride break = 15 points, Stride break + 3 = 12 points, the trade is over and one turns their attention to looking for a long and might miss the re-short.

The other options are the swing point break which in this case was 3 ticks, is it enough to constitute a break? Or one could look at the depth of the ret, which was exactly 50% from the swing high at entry 2.

If price put in a higher low that would have been something else to consider, but, if one could have rode it out they would be looking at a 30+ point trade within an hour.

The bigger trades will often hit a bump or two along the way.

I'm responding to this here because the SLA thread is about the pdf, and the pdf doesn't get into intraday trading.

You know to begin, always, with the weekly. The weekly is in charge. The weekly provides the framework. However, in order to make the best use of it, one must regard all of it, which is why I made my last two posts here. Taking only a snippet of it, as you did in your next-to-last post in the SLA thread, is no different in practice than plotting the hourly and zooming out. The weekly provides the context. The weekly provides the LOLR.

So back up to the weekly trend channel and look for your TOs. The most recent TO for longs before last Friday was April 12, when price bounced off the median of the channel. Though there would be both short and long ops for the intraday trader thereafter, the LOLR would remain up. Price then approaches the UL the next session and hits it repeatedly over the next three. The turning point comes on the 19th when it reaches a slightly overbought condition. It then falls toward and bounces off the LL of the channel after a slightly oversold condition, which is why I posted my earlier charts.

The weekly provides context and direction, the LOLR. If one does not give it its due, he will spend a lot of time looking at the trades he should have taken but didn't.

You know that if the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail. If you focus on ranges, then every op for which you look will be sought in the context of a range, and the range is nothing more than a state of equilibrium. Waiting until price reaches the UL or LL of the range, much less breaks out of it, is time and opportunity wasted.

Looking at Friday specifically, the session is preceded by a plunge the previous afternoon which segues into a range overnight, eventually settling into 4502, where buyers are no longer willing to buy, to 4482, where buyers begin to accept the asks. Given that the NQ awakens at about 0300 NYT, these limits carry some significance. This lasts until 0900, when price drops to 81 and forms a hinge at 82.5 (you'll have noted how 81-82 keeps popping up; this is the true meaning of "pivot"). Then price drops 11pts. As explained in the book, price will often make equivalent swings either side of these apexes, giving an upside target of about 94. As price reaches this level, he looks for weakness and failure on a tick chart, assuming he is not already short, e.g., 0715. If he uses the 10s, he'll see a RET at 093720. Little of this -- or none of it -- is seen if the focus is on ranges.

I go into this detail to emphasize the point that if one is going to daytrade he must do it every day, and by "do it" I mean post his prep for the session, trade the session, post a chart review along with his real-time notes, post what he did right that he wants to continue doing, post what he did wrong and why and what he intends to do about fixing the problem, then pack it all away until the time comes to do the prep for the next day. If one does not do it every day, then he loses the rhythm, and his trades become more or less random. The occasional daytrader will not succeed. He needs instead to find an interval that enables him to focus on what he needs to do in order to succeed, most likely the daily.

As for your charts in particular, it will help if you include prices and volume in them.

Db

Hi Db,

The 2014 NQ analysis in the SLA and AMT sections of your book describes trading decisions where WEEK and DAY are in an uptrends and each is meeting resistance at a long-term trend channel.

Usually multi-time frame approaches stipulate that the time frame traded should have the same trend as the 2 larger time frames. In the SLA/AMT, both longs and shorts are proposed for MIN60, the shorts being counter-trend to the larger time frames.

I take it then that you interpret a bounce off resistance as a counter to an uptrend that effectively neutralizes it ? Alternatively one might say that when price is at resistance, the median line exerts a pull that neutralizes the established price trend ? In that interpretation, both DAY and WEEK are neutral, and thus MIN60 can trade in the direction of its own trend, independent of DAY and WEEK ? Does that capture the SLA netting out that permits both longs and shorts for MIN60 when DAY and WEEK are in uptrends ?

Presumably the pull of the median line would be strongest when price is at the support trend line, as there both the trend and the median line exert force in the same direction, rather than neutralizing each other. And there, shorts would not be such a good idea. Of course nothing new about buying at support, I’m just trying to see this from an SLA/AMT pov.

Regards, aka_ces

The "time frame" is the same throughout, which confuses just about everyone who has focused on modern trading literature, much less trading forums. In the case of the SLA portion of the book (pp 36-48), the time frame is March '09 to January '14 (though some of the appendices and Notes go beyond that). One first looks for trading opportunities (TOs) off the weekly, then enters them using the daily (or a smaller interval, if the trader is in a position to monitor a smaller interval). As for "trend" and "countertrend", they have no special meaning other than what one can expect from each (see p 53 in the SLAB). Once one is in the trade, he simply follows price wherever it chooses to lead him, and if he needs to use supply and demand lines to help him follow that bread crumb trail, those lines are available to him.

As to "support" and "resistance", they have nothing to do with trend lines, channel lines, or range boundaries per se. As you work your way through the book, you'll see that support is that level where buyers are willing to support and even advance price; resistance is that level where buyers back off (this is also counter to prevailing wisdom: it isn't sellers who are in charge but rather buyers). These are always points. Sometimes these points occur at the same level, forming what is perceived to be a line. Sometimes they don't. But in all cases they represent turning points.

As for the median, it has no "pull" per se, anymore than the upper and lower limits of the channel provide "support" or "resistance". There are various theories as to what causes mean reversion, and mean reversion can more easily be seen in some instruments than others. I find it remarkably easy to see in the NQ, which is why I've traded it for twenty years. As regards the NQ in particular, one can postulate (and many have) that the mean reversion has to do with the underlying and their PEs. I find this logical. It also helps explain why the Bollinger Band people so often find themselves in the position of chasing phantoms, not unlike a kitten chasing a strand of yarn being pulled by some mysterious force. This also helps to explain why trend revolves around the median, not the limits of the trend channel nor the limits of a range. While price can poke through the upper and lower "limits" of a range, in the meanwhile becoming "overbought" or "oversold", price is unaware of those lines and is not the least concerned about them. But it is very much aware of the median as this represents -- allegedly -- the aggregate PE of the underlying (this also helps explain why the median is in a constant state of flux). Therefore, "overbought" becomes not a matter of how far price has broken through the upper limit of a range or a channel but of how far away price is from the median, which brings us back to value, and how far away one can trade from value without getting bit in the butt.

I suggest you look at if not read "Trading Opportunities" (p 60) and "Please Sir" (p 103) in Notes. There's nothing particularly linear about the book, except for the sections on the SLA and AMT in the SLAB. It's pretty much up to the reader to take what he needs when he needs it. Get comfortable with Ctrl+F.

Db

I'm responding to this here because the SLA thread is about the pdf, and the pdf doesn't get into intraday trading.

You know to begin, always, with the weekly. The weekly is in charge. The weekly provides the framework. However, in order to make the best use of it, one must regard all of it, which is why I made my last two posts here. Taking only a snippet of it, as you did in your next-to-last post in the SLA thread, is no different in practice than plotting the hourly and zooming out. The weekly provides the context. The weekly provides the LOLR.

So back up to the weekly trend channel and look for your TOs. The most recent TO for longs before last Friday was April 12, when price bounced off the median of the channel. Though there would be both short and long ops for the intraday trader thereafter, the LOLR would remain up. Price then approaches the UL the next session and hits it repeatedly over the next three. The turning point comes on the 19th when it reaches a slightly overbought condition. It then falls toward and bounces off the LL of the channel after a slightly oversold condition, which is why I posted my earlier charts.

The weekly provides context and direction, the LOLR. If one does not give it its due, he will spend a lot of time looking at the trades he should have taken but didn't.

You know that if the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail. If you focus on ranges, then every op for which you look will be sought in the context of a range, and the range is nothing more than a state of equilibrium. Waiting until price reaches the UL or LL of the range, much less breaks out of it, is time and opportunity wasted.

Looking at Friday specifically, the session is preceded by a plunge the previous afternoon which segues into a range overnight, eventually settling into 4502, where buyers are no longer willing to buy, to 4482, where buyers begin to accept the asks. Given that the NQ awakens at about 0300 NYT, these limits carry some significance. This lasts until 0900, when price drops to 81 and forms a hinge at 82.5 (you'll have noted how 81-82 keeps popping up; this is the true meaning of "pivot"). Then price drops 11pts. As explained in the book, price will often make equivalent swings either side of these apexes, giving an upside target of about 94. As price reaches this level, he looks for weakness and failure on a tick chart, assuming he is not already short, e.g., 0715. If he uses the 10s, he'll see a RET at 093720. Little of this -- or none of it -- is seen if the focus is on ranges.

I go into this detail to emphasize the point that if one is going to daytrade he must do it every day, and by "do it" I mean post his prep for the session, trade the session, post a chart review along with his real-time notes, post what he did right that he wants to continue doing, post what he did wrong and why and what he intends to do about fixing the problem, then pack it all away until the time comes to do the prep for the next day. If one does not do it every day, then he loses the rhythm, and his trades become more or less random. The occasional daytrader will not succeed. He needs instead to find an interval that enables him to focus on what he needs to do in order to succeed, most likely the daily.

As for your charts in particular, it will help if you include prices and volume in them.

Db

I didn't want to go into overkill with the charts so I limited it with the hourly but I will add to them here.

Weekly: Admittedly overlooking the trending channel, me and my ranges.
Daily: Channel drawn off upper limits, with price failing to move up LOLR would be towards the LL, break of DL helps too.
Hourly: Covered
500 tick: Compresses the overnight action and can help clear up the picture a little (sometimes).

I am not 100% sure if I have your hinge down right but I included the 10 second chart.

Attachments

• NQ2204201610s.png
    NQ2204201610s.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 184
  • NQ22042016500tick.png
    NQ22042016500tick.png
    211.7 KB · Views: 143
  • NQ22042016daily.png
    NQ22042016daily.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 152
  • NQ22042016weekly.png
    NQ22042016weekly.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 195
Preparation for the day ahead.

Edit: Adding prep notes.

Weekly is at the Mean of the range where price could turn up, but, if AMT is in play a move to the lower limit would be a high probability.

Daily is at the LL of its range, this could tie in with the weekly and be a point of reversal off the weekly mean, any bounce could also be a ret for a break of the DL with an entry short. The hourly is also at and area where demand has stepped up and propelled price higher recently.

The lower time frame is chop and looking like a hinge.

Summary: Weekly is on a tightrope, daily and hourly are at an area where demand would be expected to increase and the 10 minute is directionally indecisive.

Plan ahead: Wait for price to move out of hinge and enter on a ret.

Attachments

• nq25042016weekly.png
    nq25042016weekly.png
    31.3 KB · Views: 189
  • nq25042016daily.png
    nq25042016daily.png
    35.2 KB · Views: 179
  • nq2504201660min.png
    nq2504201660min.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 154
  • nq2504201610min.png
    nq2504201610min.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
I didn't want to go into overkill with the charts so I limited it with the hourly but I will add to them here.

Weekly: Admittedly overlooking the trending channel, me and my ranges.
Daily: Channel drawn off upper limits, with price failing to move up LOLR would be towards the LL, break of DL helps too.
Hourly: Covered
500 tick: Compresses the overnight action and can help clear up the picture a little (sometimes).

I am not 100% sure if I have your hinge down right but I included the 10 second chart.

Your weekly range is not incorrect, but it's not going to do anything for you unless price hits 4740. Review the channels I plotted in my earlier posts.

Daily: again, see what I posted re the weekly channel earlier.

The hinge is correct tho it would be much broader and more obvious if this were plotted in real time and ended before the open.

Db

The weekly range that Kleft posted was actually the range I meant.

I guess I would have never came up with the range you posted.

Preparation for the day ahead.

Edit: Adding prep notes.

Weekly is at the Mean of the range where price could turn up, but, if AMT is in play a move to the lower limit would be a high probability.

Daily is at the LL of its range, this could tie in with the weekly and be a point of reversal off the weekly mean, any bounce could also be a ret for a break of the DL with an entry short. The hourly is also at and area where demand has stepped up and propelled price higher recently.

The lower time frame is chop and looking like a hinge.

Summary: Weekly is on a tightrope, daily and hourly are at an area where demand would be expected to increase and the 10 minute is directionally indecisive.

Plan ahead: Wait for price to move out of hinge and enter on a ret.

You appear to be using a different weekly channel on your daily than you did on the weekly. Therefore, all the daily action is below what you have drawn in the upper left quadrant of that chart. The daily is not divorced from what's happening on the weekly. If you transfer the weekly channel to the daily chart, you'll see that we're sitting on the median zone of the weekly channel. This is the very definition of mega-chop. This requires extreme care.

As for this morning, you picked up on the hinge that began last Friday but you didn't plot the apex at 4450, and you will by now have noted that price bounced off this to the tick at 093030. The first RET thereafter is your long.

You would also be wise to note upcoming reports such as the NHS today at 1000 (note how price behaves just prior to the announcement).

Db

Thanks Db for your thoughtful clarifications.

I'll likely reply w/ followup questions after I read and digest some more.

Best, aka_ces

You appear to be using a different weekly channel on your daily than you did on the weekly. Therefore, all the daily action is below what you have drawn in the upper left quadrant of that chart. The daily is not divorced from what's happening on the weekly. If you transfer the weekly channel to the daily chart, you'll see that we're sitting on the median zone of the weekly channel. This is the very definition of mega-chop. This requires extreme care.

I tend to keep most of my time frames on separate charts as switching from one TF to another re-plots my lines, I then become distracted and start redrawing everything and not watching price.

As for this morning, you picked up on the hinge that began last Friday but you didn't plot the apex at 4450, and you will by now have noted that price bounced off this to the tick at 093030. The first RET thereafter is your long.

I eyeballed the apex and given that the hinge was far from symmetrical I thought I would have to readjust the longer price stayed in the hinge. Under 1 minute TF the first ret at 09:31:50 is a little tight on the open which leaves 09:34:00-10 as a possible entry which is not as daunting as 2 minutes earlier.

I opted to stay on the 1 minute and enter the ret once price left the hinge, it did not work out and I held longer than I should have after the failure of the ret to confirm and the DT that followed.

I shut down after price returned to hinge and revolved around the apex.

Thanks Db for your thoughtful clarifications.

I'll likely reply w/ followup questions after I read and digest some more.

Best, aka_ces

No hurry. In addition to what I suggested earlier, reading "Trading Opportunities" and "Please, Sir", I also suggest you read "Equilibrium". After that, carefully study Appendix D, Wyckoff's analysis of a year of stock market price action. It is what started all this, after all.

Db

Status
Not open for further replies.