SLAyers' Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.
These charts are similar to what I have. However, a picture is worth a thousand words only if one understands what he's looking at, and not everyone may understand what you're looking at.

We spent four months ranging in the Spring. We then broke out of that range to the upside, after which price found preliminary support at about 4500. We then broke out of the range to the downside and price had issues with 4450 to the upside in September and again in October, after which price made another attempt at a new high before slipping back to where we are now: 4500. In short, we are right back in the range in which we spent four months in the Spring. Those who have enough money to move price can see this ranging, with or without charts. The trader who ignores what that class of traders sees will likely find himself tossed by a lot of chop. On the other hand, if he focuses on them rather than on those who are trading ticks and pips, he will more likely come out a winner.

Db

Price has been moving up well. We are approaching potential area of resistance. Looking at the daily bar interval this up movement can be seen as a retracement, back towards the previous high and new high. Hourly is showing to be still up but we need to be alert after these few days of an up move as demand might take a breather.

Price could continue up into new high territory, start to weaken here, or go no where and meander. What we need to know is what we'll be doing when any of these things happen, and how would we know one thing is happening and not the other.

Looking at weekly it seems the price has moved back into the long term channel. Could it mean it has the potential to push all the way up to the upper limit? Maybe. Thankfully I don't have to concern myself with the future. I only make decisions on what is in front of me. Lines rule the world.

Gringo

Attachments

• NQ Daily.png
    NQ Daily.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 116
  • NQ Hourly.png
    NQ Hourly.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 136
  • NQ Weekly.png
    NQ Weekly.png
    37.8 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
As we approach old highs, I tend to rely on the SLA as there's no guarantee that those highs will be tested. If they are, AMT plays a more central role. In this case, the hrly DL was broken at 0700 NYT. One can then short a ret on the 15m or wait for a ret on the hrly. Trader's choice. A short off the 15m would put him in at 0830, which is a nice way of avoiding all the "open" drama (which is much the point of trading a longer interval in the first place).

Incidentally, the SL on the hrly is now at about 65, so the risk on this trade is only a couple of points.

Db

Yep. Three LHs and a drop below the pre-open range. At least if it rallies I haven't lost anything.

Yep. Three LHs and a drop below the pre-open range. At least if it rallies I haven't lost anything.

That's the whole point of this kind of trading. Controlled risk taking. One's got to get on the wave frist to be able to surf it.

Interesting cross-currents here between the daily and the hourly, too, which is typical of these cusps. I continue to use the July high as my benchmark given the failure to breach it earlier this month. We'll see how that works out.

BTW, Thales is around.

Db

I suppose I should also mention the hinge we've been forming this morning and that we're currently dead-center of it.

Db

As we approach old highs, I tend to rely on the SLA as there's no guarantee that those highs will be tested. If they are, AMT plays a more central role...

Db, when price rallied to the July high of 77 today, were you thinking in terms of AMT or SLA? Assuming one were neutral, I saw these options:

-Entering short off 77 per AMT.
-Entering long on a break above 77 per AMT (seems like this would be complicated by the price action earlier this month).
-Wait to short a break of the daily DL per SLA (no break yet).
-Wait to short a break of the most recent hourly DL per SLA (break has happened but is complicated by the fact that there looks to be a range on the hourly and entry would be near the mid point of that range).

If one held their short from the 700 break of the hourly DL, then this is obviously irrelevant, though one would have been down 8 points or so when price hit 77.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 11-19 daily.png
    11-19 daily.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 130
  • 11-19.png
    11-19.png
    35.9 KB · Views: 170
As I've said several times, in the book and elsewhere, any trade must be approached. Even if one didn't enter where he should have, he should approach and enter and manage the trade as though he had. In this case, the short was last week. If one had taken it, he'd be tracking the trade with an SL. This would have been broken yesterday, setting up a long trade.

The cue, again, is taken from the weekly and daily. Once the daily provides a cue, the entry is made using the hourly, which is also used to manage the trade. This is why the long entry was available yesterday. The DL for this trade was broken this morning just before 0800 NYT. Then one looks for the short and tracks that with another SL. When that's broken later in the morning, then one looks for the long. And so on. When price can't gain any traction in either direction, stop.

These uneventful sideways moves are common at cusps. They are sometimes the result of confusion and doubt; they are sometimes indicative of something being prepared, whether a breakout to new highs or a break in the opposite direction. All one can do is track the balance, avoid looking for things that aren't there, and protect one's capital.

Db

Yes, of course, makes sense if you look at it as continuous. I misunderstood your comment about SLA and AMT. Thanks for explaining again.

The SLA and AMT work together, though one usually has more influence than the other in any given segment. It may not be necessary to "master" the primer before studying the book, but one better be pretty damn familiar with it. Otherwise the book will only lead to more trouble.

Study the rules on p. 9 and the Crib Notes on p. 19. One must understand how these work together. Otherwise he's taking wild swings at shadows (like nearly all those who maintain online trading journals). Fill in the details with the remainder of the primer. Study the examples with the rules and Crib Notes in one hand and examples in the other. Understand it so thoroughly that you know exactly what to do when presented with any given situation, whether in real time or replay.

1. Determine the current trend of the market (Wyckoff), weekly then daily.
2. Determine your place in the current trend.
3. Determine the proper timing of your entry into whatever you're trading.

Most people skip all of this because they can't rein in their eagerness to trade. They ignore the fact that the best trades -- though not the only trades -- in an auction market are taken at the extremes. Given that they enter at the wrong place at the wrong time, the approach "doesn't work", and unless and until they learn patience, they will continue this pattern of behavior, at least until they abandon the approach and try something else and repeat the same pattern in a different environment.

It is only after one applies the above three guides, which are drawn from AMT, that the SLA takes center stage. This does not mean that AMT is shoved into the wings, but it no longer occupies center stage until trades in both directions are stopped, as yesterday, at which point the spotlight shifts back to AMT. If this is not clear, then the primer requires further study.

Few people who pursue this, usually for only a little while, are able to observe price movement without thinking about "where do I enter". That's all they think about. If and when they ever do enter, they then focus on where they entered and how much money they've made or lost and how to hang onto however much money they've made, if any, or how to recover the losses. The focus is always on themselves, never on the market. And so they lose. Again.

As I said in the book:

I suggest, therefore, that those who are serious about developing trading plans focus on the market and on price behavior rather than on themselves, unless they want to spend years trying to reconcile two forces which are in many ways mutually incompatible. If one enters correctly, for example, issues of stops and breakeven and size and "targets" become irrelevant. If one doesn't enter correctly, then of course he has to exit. But his doing so has nothing to do with his hopes and needs and wants and desires. Rather it has to do with the fact that he read the market incorrectly. One should, in fact, once he has entered a trade, forget about the fact that he entered the trade at all and focus instead on the market. Only in this way will he become "available" to profit from what the market has to offer.

Nearly all traders except for beginners are in a quandary: they are eager to trade yet are afraid to trade (beginners have not yet learned fear, but they soon will unless they put together thoroughly-tested and consistently-profitable trading plans
before they begin trading). Thus traders seek to exploit the market while simultaneously insulating themselves from any negative consequences of attempting to do so. That's what the bulk of the millions of trading forum posts and blogs and books and articles and newsletters and trading rooms et al infinitum hawked at Trade-O-Rama are all about. Only an infinitesimally small number of them are focused on why price moves as it does. Which is why there are so many millions (billions?) of posts (and books and blogs and so forth).

The individual who can't adopt this attitude will not succeed with "price action" trading and is better off working with indicators, though his chances of success there are not necessarily any better.

What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
--Morticia Addams

Last edited:
Due to questions and issues that have arisen recently, I've added something on timeframes to the book. It's too much to post: 12 pages. But the beginning of it may provide something to chew on while preparing for tomorrow's trading:

Trading opportunities: whether or not one takes them, they exist. Or existed at the time. Whether or not one didn’t or wouldn’t take them – out of inattention, fear (Appendix F, the SLAB), ignorance – does not change the fact of their existence (see, at the least, “Trading Opportunities”, p. 49, Notes). If one has not mastered the “primer”, i.e., the SLA/AMT as set forth in pp. 36 thru 57, he will not likely benefit from the rest of the book. That mastery is achieved by reading, study, practice, reviewing the charts and one’s efforts, and maintaining meticulous records of one’s notes (see in particular “Developing A Plan” and Appendices D and E in the SLAB as well as here in Notes). One must, in short, in order to take advantage of these opportunities, know what to look for and what to do with it if and when he finds it.

The struggling trader quickly comes to the conclusion that the best entry invariably occurred an hour ago. Or yesterday. Or two days ago. Or last week. He somehow never sees them in real time, either because he’s focused on himself (“where do I enter?”) rather than on price movement (see “A Final Note”, the SLAB, p. 33, again), or because he’s become entangled in defining “retracements”, for example, in excruciating detail due to his fears (Appendix F again) rather than focus on danger points (p. 65, Notes) and where he can enter based on those danger points and the number of ticks he’s willing to risk independent of whatever the bars “say”, or because he hasn’t prepared properly or thoroughly and though he may think he knows what to look for doesn’t know where to look for it (weekly>daily>hourly>etc). The trader who has studied the rules on p. 9 and the “Crib Notes” on p. 19 (the SLAB) and applied them to all the examples everywhere and still finds himself stuck in The Land of CouldaWouldaShoulda may find a leg up by understanding just who it is that he’s trading with (with, not against). Trading the auction market profitably requires more than a knowledge of how to draw a trend channel or box. One must also achieve some understanding of the participants. One of the more extreme examples is the scalper vs he who focuses on weekly charts. If the trader wants to hold something for more than a few minutes, much less a few hours or days, he must understand that focusing on the 5s chart is a waste of time and effort in that those who are also focusing on that chart or T&S display have no interest in hours and days. The trader who hasn’t thought out his goals thoroughly is therefore out of synch with the market from the getgo. This is not a recipe for success.

There is also the matter of Who’s Got The Money to consider. Scalpers are undeniably busy, but they don’t move markets. They’re not the ones who are attempting to support price as it falls. They are not the ones with the power to engineer sustained breakouts. They are not the ones who are creating those trend channels. If one then wants to trade with the flow of bigtime money, which is arguably a more efficient and profitable method of trading than swinging at shadows, then he needs to understand what bigtime money is looking at. If he can also acquire an understanding of what bigtime money is most likely to do with it, he’ll be in a far more secure position that just about every trader out there, including some of those who have bigtime money but don’t know quite what to do with it.

One must remember that the more obvious the movement, however it is displayed, the more people there are who will see it. Therefore, if one trades EOD using daily bars, he's going to have an awful lot of company. Everybody sees that. Everybody. But if he's trading 5-second bars, not so much. Therefore, he's more likely to take quick profits because the trading crowd he hangs around with is generally not in this for the long haul. This is NOT to suggest that each and every trade should – much less must – be taken off a long-interval chart: daily, weekly, whatever. The point is to be aware of what all the various players are focusing on and use that awareness to one’s advantage. Whether one is trading off a 5m chart, or a 15m, or an hourly, it pays to know what everyone else is looking at and enter at those points and levels where the larger group or groups is/are mostly likely to join in and propel the trader into profit. Trading in a vacuum is not only inefficient but generally unprofitable.

That not every group of traders is looking at the same thing is most easily understood by noting the level of trading activity: the fewer participants, the less activity; the more participants, the more activity (for the purpose of getting through this, we won’t quibble about the differences between transaction volume – number of transactions – and share volume – number of shares changing hands; in terms of price movement, it really doesn’t matter). In other words, if everybody is looking at the same thing, such as a major parabolic move, then everybody is trading and there’s tons of activity. But if the money players aren’t paying attention, aren’t interested (as they wouldn’t be in itty-bitty movements on a tick chart or T&S display), then there’s much less activity. When the little players notice the big moves that are initiated and sustained by the big players, they join in (if they’re smart; the stupid ones will short the upmoves and buy the downmoves in the fond belief that they’re smarter than they really are, thus adding fuel to the moves they’re taking the opposite sides of).

When the new high was made at the beginning of November, would the lower limit of the trend channel be rotated downwards to include the point of the Aug '15 low? Or would we leave it in place?

I know the last time this happened in June '14, you redrew the trend channel from the purple shaded one to the current unshaded one in the chart provided.

I know the mean is what defines the channel, but do you have any helpful hints as to whether to redraw the channel or not?

Thanks.

tvc_6fd7d0bd0c7c558078e505ff0e10ea3d.png

The purpose of the trend channel is to track trend as well as to highlight overbought and oversold conditions. If the channel is continually redrawn to include outliers, then its usefulness with regard to overbought and oversold conditions is lost. If price had not returned to the channel, the possibility of redrawing the channel would certainly be there. But not only did it return to the channel, it reversed at the mean. Therefore, as far as I'm concerned, it's still good. If it falls out of the channel again and finds resistance at the lower limit of it, I'll be more likely to reconsider redrawing it. In the meantime, it would be prudent to draw a supply line across the last two swing highs, in July and this month.

I've added your name to my contact list if you'd like to ask this sort of question in the SLAyers' Notes thread. This would be a particularly good question to post there.

Db

Price bouncing off the mean definitely gave me confidence that the channel was still valid. What clued you in to needing to change the channel back in May/June '14?

If you have the book, I trace the progress of the channel from '09 on pp. 54-62 in Notes.

Db

By drawing the supply line across the two highs, is it to be aware that a new channel may be forming such as the shaded one in the chart below, or what?

jaco

Last edited:
By drawing the supply line across the two highs, is it to be aware that a new channel may be forming such as the shaded one in the chart below, or what?

Anticipating all possible contingencies -- or at least all that one can think of -- is always necessary. If you've read the "Trading the Wyckoff Way" thread at TL, you'll note that nobody said at the beginning of '09, "Now!". One plays it as it lays, and if one does it correctly, he profits, and at some later point he can look back and say "Oh, look, that was the bottom." Those who claim otherwise are full of crap.

We are currently maintaining the uptrend. However, the purpose of a supply line -- as opposed to a trend line -- is to anticipate possible weakness, weakness that a trend line may eventually confirm. Right now the supply line is leveling off, but that doesn't mean we're topping out. We could very well break out strongly from here. The successful trader, again, considers all possible contingencies and prepares as well as he is able for whatever hand the market may deal.

Db

So the NQ is drifting inside its current hourly range as well as the daily range between the last swing high and the last swing low.

Re post 235, at what point will the market give you permission to trade?

Db

So the NQ is drifting inside its current hourly range as well as the daily range between the last swing high and the last swing low.

Re post 235, at what point will the market give you permission to trade?

Db
Per the daily, reversal off of, or breakout above, 4730?

Attachments

• 112.23d.png
    112.23d.png
    41.7 KB · Views: 128
Even though there is no LL on the most recent move up starting on 11/16, can one still apply a TL? If so, a break through the TL and retracement is a possible entry.

Status
Not open for further replies.