SII Diploma

smj2076

I have dreams of becoming some kind of trader or managing other peoples money maybe as some kind of portfolio manager. I am thinking of getting either the CFA qualification or maybe the SII diploma. As to date I have no employment experience in the finance industry but I hope to change that soon....Do you have to be employed in the finance industry before you are allowed to take these exams? Thanks.

You don't have to be employed in the industry to book take the exams but the experience would probably help.

A good starting point would be the SII Certificates in Regulation and Securities, passing these will allow you to register as a 'CF30' which means you can deal with/advise clients.

I have started looking at the Diploma as well. It requires a lot of study- a six month period for each module or around 200-300 hours study time. You can choose the modules that interest you and that are pertinent to what you want to do. The SII website has some example papers you can look at if you haven't seen them already.

I think it shows a good commitment and would open doors to have these on your CV.