should i ignore the news

paullunt1976

Hi, I would like to ask members views on 'ignoring the news' when daytrading. I have a small account that seems to get smaller when I take economic announcements and the daily news into account whilst deciding on when to open trades. Many traders seem to delight in saying that they never watch or read the news when daytrading. The problem I have with this is that it is very difficult for me to accept that even though a chart says buy, if news is expected out and I believe it will be bad news - I have huge trouble in putting that buy on. Also do those who never watch or read the news take releases into account by for example not being in the market when important economic releases are coming out.

Only a fool would trade whilst ignoring the news flows. That does not mean all news is relevent, nor does it mean should you blindly jump in and out of positions based solely upon new information.

But, none the less you would be a fool to ignore news. I will wait for the comments of major protestation before I give a couple of a couple of examples.

Only a fool would trade whilst ignoring the news flows. That does not mean all news is relevent, nor does it mean should you blindly jump in and out of positions based solely upon new information.

But, none the less you would be a fool to ignore news. I will wait for the comments of major protestation before I give a couple of a couple of examples.

ahahah i eagerly await your examples - and will follow with yet more questions if you dont mind of course.:D

I dont watch the news while trading, but I do pay attention to when reports are released, as there is generally more volitility at that time.

Last edited:
do you try to be out of the market when the reports are released? Do you edit your position and viewpoint according to whether the report released was above or below expectations. Do you try to anticipate if a particular piece of news is going to change the overall direction of the market or do you rely upon price action alone to tell you what is likely to happen?

Last edited:
do you try to be out of the market when the reports are released? Do you edit your position and viewpoint according to whether the report released was above or below expectations. Do you try to anticipate if a particular piece of news is going to change the overall direction of the market or do you rely upon price action alone to tell you what is likely to happen?

I stay out of trades during reports, and I rely on price action alone as an indication of where price is heading.

You could have a dip on good news and a pop on bad news. It strange, so I just stay out of the way to avoid spikes during news.

I stay out of trades during reports, and I rely on price action alone as an indication of where price is heading.

You could have a dip on good news and a pop on bad news. It strange, so I just stay out of the way to avoid spikes during news.

ok, sorry to labour the point but - say the next non farms payroll came out at +750k against an estimate of +150k but the price action on the market afterwards showed you should sell. Would you sell, stay out of the market or put a buy on. What I mean is how far would you let price action overcome your thoughts of how the market should and eventually will react to a piece of news or even to several pieces of news that indicate to your thought process that the market should go one way or the other. I guess I am asking should I be thinking about these things at all or just blindly follow the chart.

Personally I don't think the news should be ignored.

That is not to say that you should blindly start trading every economic announcement that is released. How you think price should react and how the market actually reacts are usually two very different things.

At the same time, price action during news can often be hard to interpret with price making knee jerk reactions as traders jostle for position.

I remember one particular time, there was a surprise rate cut from the BoE and myself and the other currency trader on my desk went short Sterling only to see that after the initial sharp move down, the market made a major reversal, with Cable going parabolic.

Whilst we all scratched our heads at the bizarre reaction, the hacks will explain the move by telling you it was because traders interpreted the cut as a proactive stance from the BoE to help ease an ailing economy.

All hindsight of course.

Aligned with this point, I think that it is key to look at what price is actually doing. For example, is the market ignoring "good" or "bad" news? This can be indicative of an underlying strength or weakness.

With reference to your post above, if the payrolls came in at +750k then you should, under almost any normal circumstances, see risk go vertical. If it doesn't then something is big time wrong. I personally think you should have an "expectation" (e.g. that the market should rally) and then see how price reacts. Price is, after all, the sum opinion of all market participants. If it heads down on that number, I'm going to watch key support levels. If it's breaking them, retesting, heading lower, on a headline figure like that, I'm joining the offer fast.

This is of particular interest during major trends where sometimes the news can get overly positive or negative and more often than not this can actually mark major trend changes.

A a few examples ;

Wheat stock piles hit a 60 year low in February 2008. Then in late Feb, the market made an all time high and went into a bear market.

Hurricane Katrina hit the GoM in 2005. The press reported huge collateral damage with BP losing its Thunderhorse platform (didn't it float off somewhere?) and 30 oil platforms were damaged and 9 refineries were closed. With 24% of the annual production of oil not reaching market, Crude prices still plummeted over 20% in value.

Now, I am sure there are people out there (probably going to appear on this forum any minute) that can give us a fundamental reason (lets leave the technicals including strong hands using liquidity from weak longs to get short) WHY Wheat and Crude went down on these fundamentals. But the simple fact is that there were the main headines making the rounds at the time and that is what price did subsequently.

However, studying price doesn't always alert you to what might happen. If you take price analysis alone you might have been tempted to sell USD/JPY in March 2011 when the BoJ intervened in the Yen or September 2011 when the SNB intervened in the Swiss Franc. A study of historical price action will tell you that this is the right thing to do since these moves are quickly undone. However, only by listening to the news would you have known that the BoJ March intervention was not normal - infact it was co-ordinated CoB intervention. In the case of the SNB they actually pegged the currency to 1.20 which gave you a guarantee (or at least a good a one as you will ever get) that the currency is going to that price.

Actually in the last example, if you had been watching a news feed you would have had the opportunity of a lifetime. I don't remember the exact price the currency was at but I seem to recall it was around 1.13 (700 pips below the floor) when RAN sqwarked it. At the very least you wouldn't have stood infront of that move and got streamrolled.

Last edited:
I dont trade news, I trade what's in front of me on my charts. I just stay out of trades during news to avoid abnormal spikes caused by news. You obviously are interested in making bets based on news.

Let me also say that I am not an expert. I started trading a year ago. If my signals show me a valid entry, and the context of the market looks favorable, I enter a trade. Simple.

I try not to think about what the market should do. I just watch what it does do. The market is neither right or wrong, it just is.

I place no expectations on news events.

Thanks...thats given me some food for thought...I will let it sink in for a bit before I come back with any more questions lol.
p.s jcali (You obviously are interested in making bets based on news. ) I think that my 'making bets based on the news' is probably not a good thing and I need to stop doing it. However as trader_dante points out - I shouldnt ditch all analysis of it just use it as part of my strategy rather than a strategy in itself. This is (I think) the challenge I face at the moment.

Right on, news by itself is not a strategy. Just something you should be aware of. I trade the ES, a very liquid market.

the news is what drives markets, its what makes them move.

you think the sp will drop 30 handles because the stochastis crossed over? no, its because nfp came in low!

As an aside, news comes in various forms. There are some good sqwarks out there. Nowadays there are quite a few pros turning to Twitter for news. Obviously you have to assess who you follow but news spreads pretty much as fast on there as it can get sqwarked now (and it's free).

just follow zerohedge on twitter for news there pretty quick to update when something happens

just follow zerohedge on twitter for news there pretty quick to update when something happens

ok thanks i will check it out...was having problems getting the results of the bond auctions in good time last week so this is definitely useful info for me

Do you really understand those words that you wrote above?:cry:

By the other hand, you better pay attention to the news if you want to stay in the bussiness.
You can 1) check the economic calendar before starting your trading day or 2) you can turn on bloomberg, they will give you a fast insight of the daily events - when those are important - before anything happens.
I also try to be out of any position at the time those events take place.
In the case that a specific event can cause a deep impact on a specific pair or instrument, it will show mw a lot of chances to profit from it.

By the other hand, you better pay attention to the news if you want to stay in the bussiness.
You can 1) check the economic calendar before starting your trading day or 2) you can turn on bloomberg, they will give you a fast insight of the daily events - when those are important - before anything happens.
I also try to be out of any position at the time those events take place.
In the case that a specific event can cause a deep impact on a specific pair or instrument, it will show mw a lot of chances to profit from it.

I think this post sums it all. Only thing to add is that for sure we are not faster than the pros interpreting the news releases, specially if it is one containing data beneath the headline, as the NFP.

So there is no hurry. Let's the pros decide the direction of the market and then we should follow.....:clap:

News it is only useful to have a general feeling of the market. But trade on news at the retail level is not very wise in my opinion. Even the big guys have problems doing that.

If you don't believe please take a chart of any European index the day of the LTRO and check how it went up constantly for about a minute and then reverse when "the market" did not like the fact that very few banks took part on the operation.

If you don't believe please take a chart of any European index the day of the LTRO and check how it went up constantly for about a minute and then reverse when "the market" did not like the fact that very few banks took part on the operation.

Thanks, really interesting point. this is the kind of movement that has me nonplussed at times - good insight into why the market can turn about tail for seemingly no reason.