Shorting the markets on Mon 10/5/10?

There's something very sinister going on.

What's the betting that Brown gets some sort of Euro role when he (finally) leaves no. 10?

Don't forget the EU's auditors have not signed off on their accounts for the last 15 years. This is a fully fledged dictatorship now.

A good thought, now that you mention it. All the thrown out politicians go to Brussels.

The successful ones, like Blair, make speeches and get paid big bucks for them.

The current situation is amusing in that it throws into sharp relief the naked ambition of our current crop of politicians. Of course you have to be ambitious to want to rise to the top (in any field). I always hoped that politicians had some underlying sense of civic duty.. but far from it, it's simply about fulfilling one's own ambitions and lining one's own pocket.

It's now a naked grab for power from all sides and any claim of "we have the national interest at heart" is absolute poppycock.

A good thought, now that you mention it. All the thrown out politicians go to Brussels.

The successful ones, like Blair, make speeches and get paid big bucks for them.

Split, they don't, thats the smokescreen and myth that their paymasters would like you to believe. In reality they simply cash the cqs. for all the favours built up in the favour bank...

Can politics sink any lower?

I blame David Cameron actually. He had an open goal and missed. He's the one who should be replaced. We need a true Tory party to emerge from this half-baked hodge podge we have right now.

I don't see why anyone would see Cameron/Tories as any sort of saviour to be honest. Personally, I think that the gov't is at the mercy of the market rather than the other way around. Look at China for example.

Whether Labour spent or hadn't spent we'd still be in the sh1te. Plus a lot of Nu-Lab budget was capital expenditure. Just means that whichever party occupies no10 during the next boom can take the credit for "fixing" the economy and the capital exp is one time expense so pop goes the defecit.

To be honest I don't like the way that Cameron talks of the economy as though it's a PLC. Society just doesn't work the same way and if thats the approach the Tories are offering... again... then I reckon we're in the sh1t no matter who's get in. Especially that effing Clegg. Jesus, I can't believe people responded to that tw@ as though he's any better than the other two n0b ends.

I got some enquiries about my post #10, yesterday. What new traders have to decide is whether you want to trade short term or long. How many hours you are willing to trade per session. What timeframe you like. We are all different in character and have our favourite methods.

There are a lot of threads here by many good posters, many of whom advocate the use of indicators. I use averages to give me an idea of how the price is trending and whether the price is overbought or sold in relation to the average that I use. I also use a Bollinger band for that. But I have, for a long time, come to the conclusion that indicators, the ones that are underneath the chart, are of no use to me. They are late in their signals because they are based on averages. Therefore, you might as well use the averages, themselves. Nevertheless, I use these averages only for trend direction and I work, mainly, on the price bars and the patterns that come out of them, i.e.pullbacks and the breakouts.

The most successful traders do not let a trade run into a serious loss. More money is lost that way because new traders say "I'll just give it another couple of points". Not everyone agrees with me about my stops. I keep them tight. This morning, for instance I lost 10 points on the first trade and made 20 on the second. Not a great session but I netted 10 because I refused to lose more than 10 points on the first trade, so I have more in my account for tomorrow and yesterday's very good trading session was not spoiled by losing today. The other piece of advice I would give is to try not to spot the turn of a new trend. It is far more constructive to allow the trend to take place and wait for a pullback, then trade the continuing breakout.

Read threads by BSD , Mr Charts and others. The Dentist gives excellent point and figure charts. Be consistent in what you do. Don't get fed up too quickly and try something new before the method that you are using has been disproved.

There is so much to learn and I am not a great teacher. Others write better explanations than I but if you look me up around the threads I will always try to help out.

Good luck.

Through testing a wide variety of strategies on various time frames, I've reached a few conclusions about trading and indicators.

1. I've not been able to find reliable indicators which consistently generate profits (e.g. MACD crossing signal line, RSI falling below 70 etc)

2. Cut losers/run profits. Stops MUST be used on every trade (medbs is an exception I know), but don't use profit targets, instead run a trailing stop loss. 1-5% of trades at the end of the year will be the big winners that make your year, if you use profit targets you cut those off (by definition).

3. Trade with the trend, and wait for confirmation of the move. Trying to pick tops/bottoms/turning points is a mug's game.

4. Try to keep trade frequency low, if possible (avoid commissions, crossing bid/ask etc)

5. Position sizing and exits are more important than entries.