Shortcuts vs knowledge

I think one source of disagreement probably stems from different objectives:

If you want to generate a steady income then a scalping or very short term style is definitely very achievable where you have pretty high winning percentages.

That what those who talk about passion in trading are probably on about, a desire to feel knowledgable or confident through having lots more winners than losers.

On the other hand you have those whose main objective is not a regular income from markets, but instead maxinisng ones net asset value to the hilt, ie people who are really shooting for starting with very little and making a hundred million or more.

There are of course traders with proven track records who have high hit rates of say 70, 80%.

But all the evidence is equally clear that if you want not a stead yincome but to generate tremdnous wealth it is no longer about hit rate, it is then about risk / reward ratios.

Brett Steenbarger:

"...As a rule, maximizing batting average/minimizing drawdown comes at the cost of lowering overall system profitability...."

"William Eckhardt:

The Win/Loss Ratio
“One common adage on this subject that is completely wrongheaded is: You can’t go broke taking profits. That’s precisely how many traders do go broke. While amateurs go broke by taking large losses, professionals go broke by taking small profits. The problem in a nutshell is that human nature does not operate to maximize gain but rather to maximize the chance of a gain. The desire to maximize the number of winning trades (or minimize the number of losing trades) works against the trader. The success rate of trades is the least important performance statistic and may even be inversely related to performance. …

What really matters is the long-run distributions of outcomes from your trading techniques, systems, and procedures. But, psychologically, what seems of paramount importance is whether the positions that you have right now are going to work. Current positions seem to be crucial beyond any statistical justification. It’s quite tempting to bend your rules to make your current trades work, assuming that the favorability of your long-term statistics will take care of future profitability. Two of the cardinal sins of trading - giving losses too much rope and taking profits prematurely - are both attempts to make current positions more likely to succeed, to the severe detriment of long-term performance.”

Market Wizards

Fellow Market Wizard Bill Lipshutz who now runs a hedge fund and was before that his banks single most profitable FX trader with a hit rate of 20, 30%.

Kenneth Grant, in "Trading Risk: Enhanced Profitability through Risk Control", depicts his experience as risk manager for some of the best and most successful hedge funds, amongst others Paul Tudor Jones funds and Steve Cohens SAC Capital, that:

Across all market conditions, traders, trading styles and time frames, one rule holds true:

10% of all trades inevitably account for 90% of profits !

If you could combine large sums of money with high hit rate AND good risk / reward ratios there would be evidence of that out there, but the evidence tells a different story:

It's either lots more winners than losers through scalping and generating good money but never joining the top dogs, OR it's forget about hit rate and shoot for the stars.

................thank you jon....a fleeting visit mind....
Yo Mark,
I second Jon's comments - good to see you again. And no need to make the visit a fleeting one, you'll find T2W a hospitable place these days as your adversaries of old have moved on to pastures new.
;)
Tim.

Lately I have been thinking that becoming a profitable trader is about mastering yourself more then anything else.

Yep, thats my view! To me its by far the most rewarding part too.

A quick quote, nothing to do with trading.
"Do what you've always done! Get what you've always got!"
I dont think you need a coach, imo you just need to ask yourself good questions. Be hard and honest with yourself. If somethings not working you need to find out why, answering with your own conclusions is a powerful thing. It will also be entirely suited to you, not your coach. imo

Darktone, self assesment is by far the hrest thing to doin this life, thas why all the tax returns end up getting done late or by an accountant.:cheesy:

but seriously 'asking yourself the right questions' you have toknow what the questions are in the first place.

I've recently come accross the idea that your trading diary should contain your thoughts and feelings when entering and exiting the trade rather then time date and price entry exit data.

Going over how you felt during the trades once a week you will begin to notice a pattern an this will help your trading more then looking at all the other details. I plan to use a dictaphone myself.

Darktone, self assesment is by far the hrest thing to doin this life, thas why all the tax returns end up getting done late or by an accountant.:cheesy:

but seriously 'asking yourself the right questions' you have toknow what the questions are in the first place.

I've recently come accross the idea that your trading diary should contain your thoughts and feelings when entering and exiting the trade rather then time date and price entry exit data.

Going over how you felt during the trades once a week you will begin to notice a pattern an this will help your trading more then looking at all the other details. I plan to use a dictaphone myself.

Totally agree... when I had my journal I did a few posts where it was a whole trading day, in 5 minute segments of my panicky thoughts! DBpheonix posted it in another forum I use the other week and reading back through it reminded me of how much I used to panic and it definitely helped me, I'll see if I can dig it out. The main thing though was afterwards, you can see just hwo stupid you have been and if you only just relaxed..... Well it did for me anyhow!

...there is room for all levels in trading...ultimately you get out what your prepared to put in...what is not acceptable is...

1....arrogance over others.....be it at what level of knowledge you currently are the possibility for improvement always exists..this is until arrogance creeps in....it forms a barrier to learning and equally distorts decision making..before long if arrogance persists it will effect your "bottom line" and you will find yourself back at the very "rung of the ladder" which you so smugly looked down upon.

2....and equally....ignorance....the constant dismissal of those with the passion and drive to take it beyond a money making exercising and instead a pursuit of excellence with money as a consequence is disgusting....i doubt many top sportsman start out soley driven by money but instead the craft....the cyber chavs are allowed to belittle anyone who seeks to better themselves.....ultimately this is down to thier own insecurities...and is typical of society at the moment...never put down those who are prepared to sacfrice and work to improve self and others....these peopl will be the ones who will be paying your dole money one day.

.......seems pretty simple.....dont pretend to be at a level your not to YOURSELF and others....dont brag about the level your at.....and dont dismiss the level others strive to become.

cheers mark j

Mr Marcus seems to be one of the few who knows the true path to success.
It is taken as read that to be a successful trader one needs knowledge and years of hard work.
The missing element in this thread is that being a loser is easy, most succeed at this.

Winners in life are those who will and do succeed at anything they choose.

If anybody would like to go beyond trading systems and candlestick patterns and see how the man maketh the trader then they may wish to download this.

http://www.soilandhealth.org/03sov/0304spiritpsych/030413.Hill.Think.and.Grow.Rich.pdf

You only need go over your journal to find the questions.

Q) Why didnt i let my position run to target.
A) Because fib no1 was blown and price action did this and it was near my stop and............"Erhmm i did say you have to be honest!"...ok, it was panic!:eek:.

Q) How can avoid closing my position before being stopped or running to target?.
A) nail thumbs to desk after entering:(. get gf to put me on a sex ban if i close out at anything other than stop or limit:eek:. set OCO/say FU MOFOs/turn off screen and dont turn on again till i get a text.:clap:

The questions can be endless but each good answer will get you closer to your goal.

why did i trade against the trend?
why did i go balls deep on that last trade?
why did i cut size after the above trade went to cost?
why did i let the dude on the bb sway my view?
why didnt i attempt to reenter that last stopped trade when conditions still looked good?

why did i? leads to how can i? which should lead to some pretty good answers.

The main thing though was afterwards, you can see just hwo stupid you have been and if you only just relaxed

Yeah man.... Superb idea...Its funny when you look at your thoughts and feelings in past hence, right next to the chart and see all the BS reasons you came up with for doing xyz, when just turning off the screen would have often been far better! :)

Last edited:
Yeah man.... Superb idea...Its funny when you look at your thoughts and feelings in past hence, right next to the chart and see all the BS reasons you came up with for doing xyz, when just turning off the screen would have often been far better! :)

Ain't that the truth, I was embarrassed to read the text on the web after all this time and to see how undisciplined I was :eek: Amazing what used to run through my head during a trade!

Mr marcus is right when he says that sportsman do not start out solely driven by money, in fact i dont think that the money was the motivation at all. the motivation is to be a winner regardless of the sport, the size of the payday reflects their talent.

It would be a bit naive to think that the size of the paycheck is always an accurate reflection of someone's talent. I'm talking in general, not about sports or trading in particular, but you get the point. Otherwise good post imo.

Shame this thread has about 10 times as many posts as the other one twistedhedgehog started...

Shame this thread has about 10 times as many posts as the other one twistedhedgehog started...

I agree. In my opinion this is turning into an excellent thread and twistedhedgehog's other one in the price and volume forum looks like it could become very intersting indeed. Exactly what's needed.

I hadn't signed up to this site back in the days of Socrates etc but have just started looking through the threads that twistedhedgehog linked to in his journal and they look like they contain some great stuff that hopefully could rekindle some really good discussions.

...there is room for all levels in trading...ultimately you get out what your prepared to put in...what is not acceptable is...

1....arrogance over others.....be it at what level of knowledge you currently are the possibility for improvement always exists..this is until arrogance creeps in....it forms a barrier to learning and equally distorts decision making..before long if arrogance persists it will effect your "bottom line" and you will find yourself back at the very "rung of the ladder" which you so smugly looked down upon.

2....and equally....ignorance....the constant dismissal of those with the passion and drive to take it beyond a money making exercising and instead a pursuit of excellence with money as a consequence is disgusting....i doubt many top sportsman start out soley driven by money but instead the craft....the cyber chavs are allowed to belittle anyone who seeks to better themselves.....ultimately this is down to thier own insecurities...and is typical of society at the moment...never put down those who are prepared to sacfrice and work to improve self and others....these peopl will be the ones who will be paying your dole money one day.

.......seems pretty simple.....dont pretend to be at a level your not to YOURSELF and others....dont brag about the level your at.....and dont dismiss the level others strive to become.

cheers mark j
Very true on both counts mr.marcus.

I don't know if you are referring to me specifically in point number 2 but I feel I need to clarify something.

I have repeatedly said that learning all one can about trading and the markets can only serve to enhance one's trading. I have repeatedly said that it should be the goal of every trader to do so. I do not think I have ever belittled anyone who tries to better themselves.

What I have said, and will continue to do so, is that it is wrong to claim those others who travel a different route to you(not you personally mind, a collective "you" there) are wrong, unprofessional or any other such thing.

On a seperate note, I think a distinction needs to be made between trading success and trading/market knowledge.

To me, trading success is about the ability to make money from the markets. No matter how one chooses to do that. Trading/market knowledge is all the rest of the skills, experience etc one can gain to better themeselves and hopefully their trading results.

I do not think it right for one person to suggest than another is not successful or professional simply because that person does not have as much knowledge as themselves.

Cheers,
PKFFW

cheers mark j

How do you trade Mr Marcus. What is the essence of your trading approach?

do you use indicators, candlestick pattern recognition, self drawn lines, single or multi timeframe confirmation etc.

Cheers.

How do you trade Mr Marcus. What is the essence of your trading approach?

do you use indicators, candlestick pattern recognition, self drawn lines, single or multi timeframe confirmation etc.

Cheers.

Hello JT,

I don't think Mark will tell you anything to be honest.... he's done it all before and got all kinds of sh!t thrown at him saying he was a cheat and a liar etc etc. I wasn't around to see all of that but have been fortunate to be given some of his time for free. He's got something that I haven't ever read in a book and I could not put it down in words either. I've sworn to him that I would never pass on anything that we talked about either, like a sort of copywright (he's a big fella as well so would probably kick my ass!) but f' me it's good sh!t and he certainly knows his onions. Top bloke.

Another point that I have found about trading is that the less I hang around forums like this the better I am at trading, it's like some inverse ratio! No offence to t2w but majority of stuff discussed on here is from the 90% (put whatever you want here I don't really care for how many fail) that don't really make anything/ much as 'traders'. Don't get me wrong I'm still no master trader myself yet, but I'm certainly getting a lot better.

Not sure who this hedgehog fella is but he's certainly increased the sites hits again and pulled out some of the great old threads which need lots of reading. I read them over and over and I've said before there are some gems there if you dig enough.... but then again that's the whole topic isn't it; majority wont go and read pages and pages of stuff that actually matters, they just want the quick and easy fix to a fortune.

Good 'trading' to you all

Why do all the forums concentrate on shortcuts like breakouts or pin bars or inside bars? Its as bad as all the 'get rich schemes'. Markets are not that simple, traders are not that simple. A successful trader needs to be adaptable and they can only do that with knowledge, understanding and skill.

To be the best you need to truly understand what you are doing and what you are trading and trade via that skill. Finding, or worse still, copying someone else's strat is a road to ruin.

Oh, why oh why do people not try to learn the markets...? No one is learning a thing here.

Knowledge is king. If all the 'traders' on here spent more time acquiring their skills and edge through understanding the number of losers would greatly decrease.

Teaching a man to fish does not involve just learning how to cast a rod and where to place it, it means understanding the fish, the environment, the conditions and being able to change and adapt each minute through intense understanding, not some set of rules, whether indicator based or price.

It's amazing I have only found a handful of threads and posters with half a clue :rolleyes:

To those who have well founded experience please do not assume that your opinion is "old hat". To us who are, with real intent, looking for information your contribution is extremely useful. Daily we are bombarded by graphs, tips, offers to subscribe, etc, someone holding their hand out wanting money for a service. As others, myself included have been tempted to use this information without the underlying foundation of knowledge it is based upon. Your experience "twistedhedgehog" is well taken and thank you.

Why do all the forums concentrate on shortcuts like breakouts or pin bars or inside bars? Its as bad as all the 'get rich schemes'. Markets are not that simple, traders are not that simple. A successful trader needs to be adaptable and they can only do that with knowledge, understanding and skill.

To be the best you need to truly understand what you are doing and what you are trading and trade via that skill. Finding, or worse still, copying someone else's strat is a road to ruin.

Oh, why oh why do people not try to learn the markets...? No one is learning a thing here.

Knowledge is king. If all the 'traders' on here spent more time acquiring their skills and edge through understanding the number of losers would greatly decrease.

Teaching a man to fish does not involve just learning how to cast a rod and where to place it, it means understanding the fish, the environment, the conditions and being able to change and adapt each minute through intense understanding, not some set of rules, whether indicator based or price.

It's amazing I have only found a handful of threads and posters with half a clue :rolleyes:

Hi, THH.

It's your thread so i thought i'd ask you my first question(s) (hope you don't mind, appologies if you do). How do i identify a price that's worth putting an order on? Should i be able to predict the markets, or should my order entry strat take care of that? Can some order areas have less clarity, or is that down to the participants and thier orders, or is that a personal problem?

I've got loads of questions, but the books only seem to deal with ideal situations which isn't true to life, can you shed any light on my questions.

Thankyou.

If all the 'traders' on here spent more time acquiring their skills and edge through understanding the number of losers would greatly decrease.

If all the 'traders' on here spent more time acquiring their skills and edge through understanding the number of losers would greatly decrease.

Hang on a mintue mate.

WTF.

Pot and kettle spring to mind.

You're the one who's asking about an oil stock you're holding that is grossly off side and asking others opinions.

Try taking some of the same medicine your dishing out.

Hang on a mintue mate.

WTF.

Pot and kettle spring to mind.

You're the one who's asking about an oil stock you're holding that is grossly off side and asking others opinions.

Try taking some of the same medicine your dishing out.

And herein lies the problem, for a few people that use bulletin boards to justify their bad trading decisions by asking others opinions. If another 'trader' has made the same buy/sell decision as you it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling that everything will be ok, so just let it ride a little, I'm sure it'll come back onside in a short while!

Stop listening to other peoples opinions and trade for yourself. You never know you could be right more times than you're wrong.

And herein lies the problem, for a few people that use bulletin boards to justify their bad trading decisions by asking others opinions. If another 'trader' has made the same buy/sell decision as you it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling that everything will be ok, so just let it ride a little, I'm sure it'll come back onside in a short while!

Stop listening to other peoples opinions and trade for yourself. You never know you could be right more times than you're wrong.

Agree. You have to learn to make your own decisions - if you can't do that then you're probably better off with a managed fund.