short selling is unpatriotic

oatman said:
If you don't want to use all the tools at your disposal to make money, then you shouldn't trade :cheesy: Morals don't come in to it. This thread is about emotion and being nice. :rolleyes:

can anyone tell me the name of the company that makes those lovely daisy-cutter bombs ?They sound lovely. Worth buying I think.

Also, I would like to buy shares in the makers of agent orange. Wonder if they do any other colours ?

neil said:
The country doesn't give a toss for you so why bang your forehead in angst about it?
This arguement began on Elite Trader.com. Looks like some one copied it to over here.
Bet the poster is an American. :rolleyes:

I have now declared myself a Republic and I consider it my patriotic duty to take profits from the CME.
These profits are distributed by an Act of Congress ( thats me) for the betterment of the citizens
( that is me also)
Some meetings of Congress are so confidential that I cannot even discuss them with myself.
How much more patriotic can I get!!

PurplePerson said:
US-listed Vice Fund hasn't done too badly, buying politically incorrect stocks
Which only goes to show, does it not, buying stocks for the wrong reasons and getting the correct results.

This is contrairianism at its best.

But not recommended for the squeamish or policically correct.

Some of the biggest and most successful companies in the world are not listed on the stockmarket.

Unlisted companies far outnumber those that are are listed.

Companies don't have to float on the stockmarket - they choose to do so.
They do so in preference to raising money by other means.
They do so knowing what the market is and what the market does.
They know the market players include all sorts and sizes of players, each of whom is there to take a profit from someone or somewhere. They know that people are betting up, down, sideways, inside out, whatever.

If they consider its behaviour to be unacceptable, they don't need to accept it.

Loada Dosh appears to have his own concept of what a market should be and how it should behave. For some strange reason he thinks patriotism should play a part (gawd knows why!) and that longterm shareholders are the only ones whose rights and interests matter above all other players.

The stockmarket is what the stockmarket is.
Nobody has to go there.

Good points Purple. Also stocks can decline on there own weight if there's a lack of buying interest. The market is always right, up or down. Today's modern investor/trader needs to be educated to the point where there comfortable trading and investing on both the ups and the downs.

PS: A question for ethical investors - particularly those ethical investors who regard shorting as unethical and harmful to the company; Is it ethical to short an unethical company?

PP

Lawn cutters for Trendie

trendie said:
can anyone tell me the name of the company that makes those lovely daisy-cutter bombs ?They sound lovely. Worth buying I think.
Also, I would like to buy shares in the makers of agent orange. Wonder if they do any other colours ?

End of Summer sales at B&Q :?: ;)

Agent Orange = Windsor and Newton (Oil Paint suppliers) :cheesy: