Setting up a private sub forum

lee

Agree with most of that. At the end of the day T2W can only be as good as its members allow it to be and it's the members who make it or break it. In the days you talk of, members who were traders wanted to talk about trading, now many of them just seem to want to pass the time of day to relieve their boredom. As predicabo says above, there's likely to be far more contribution to threads like this than one started about actual trading.

There was also a strong willingness from the experienced to help the inexperienced which seems absent nowadays.

Obviously policy and moderation have played their part in the different atmosphere that abounds but, as I said, it's only really the members who can change that.

If you have 90% of the members being fairly polite, funny bud good humoured and then you have 10% of the members being vindictive, how do the members 'make or break it?'

Forums need to be policed or people with little else to do will (for whatever reason) bring the place down.

It's not up to the members really, it's up to the management to maintain a healthy board with less personal attacks & sniping.

It's been said before but BMT does exactly this, there is a zero tolerance for personal attacks. Here, personal attacks are absolutely fine.

Not all quality posters have lefr - L_V, Wackypete, Robster, Lee on this thread have been here for a long time and are worth listening to. It's not all bad but if people could just behave on here the way they would in real life, it'd be nice.

I completely disagree. The willingness is still here but t2w continues to let too many knobheads post dozens of garbage threads or even many threads where the OP never returns to answer but sontinues posting new threads. There are so many of them we don't bother posting anything significant anymore, just resort to lulz. Why waste the time and effort?

Peter

ok, but why do such threads cause so much irritation? They are mostly just ignored and die a natural (and quick) death as they fade out of focus.

A possible way forward is to go ahead and try it which I can do if there is enough interest that it is worth doing. The way it will work is to have a forum leader (presumably robster970) who would have the decision on who can join but also who is forced to leave if he so chooses.

If you have 90% of the members being fairly polite, funny bud good humoured and then you have 10% of the members being vindictive, how do the members 'make or break it?'

Forums need to be policed or people with little else to do will (for whatever reason) bring the place down.

It's not up to the members really, it's up to the management to maintain a healthy board with less personal attacks & sniping.

It's been said before but BMT does exactly this, there is a zero tolerance for personal attacks. Here, personal attacks are absolutely fine.

Not all quality posters have lefr - L_V, Wackypete, Robster, Lee on this thread have been here for a long time and are worth listening to. It's not all bad but if people could just behave on here the way they would in real life, it'd be nice.

Aye, we're already supposed to deal with personal attacks and probably don't come down as hard as we should. Mind you it's not always easy to find the line beyond which legitimate criticism becomes a personal attack.

There are indeed a lot of quality posters and a lot of quality comment amongst the dross. It maybe that the quality/dross ratio hasn't changed much from earlier days but, with far,far fewer threads started in those days, it was probably much easier to pick out and focus on the decent stuff than it is now.

ok, but why do such threads cause so much irritation? They are mostly just ignored and die a natural (and quick) death as they fade out of focus.

All 14(?) threads by this guy weren;t ignored:
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/forex/167066-forex-trading-real-scam.html

He'll post again in a few days and you guys let it continue. Eventually everyone making a sensible reply gets tired of the OP ignoring THEM and won't post anymore helpful information. It's pointless to do so. These threads end up being lulz fests.

Peter

Take this thread as an example Jon. I start the thread to float it with the mods and the posters who it is aimed at. Then 15min turns up and posts a load of garbage on it. Obviously I don't bother feeding the troll and he eventually goes away so in theory this works. What is not considered is the personal cost of constantly having to tune out this kind of behaviour which nets down to 'I won't bother posting any more'......

This isn't a threat - it is a reflection of how I feel and I don't think I am alone.

Take this thread as an example Jon. I start the thread to float it with the mods and the posters who it is aimed at. Then 15min turns up and posts a load of garbage on it. Obviously I don't bother feeding the troll and he eventually goes away so in theory this works. What is not considered is the personal cost of constantly having to tune out this kind of behaviour which nets down to 'I won't bother posting any more'......

This isn't a threat - it is a reflection of how I feel and I don't think I am alone.

nope, i'm with you for one :LOL:

One other trouble is trying to cater for all tastes, For example, you say "Obviously lulz will be allowed......." but one person's enjoyable lulz is another person's irritating crap.

Exactly , this Lulz business is the real reason behind the trolling , any off-topic post should be deleted at the discretion of the mods .

lulz will be allowed = trolling

nope, i'm with you for one :LOL:

It's a crying shame Jon. All the serious end of the spectrum generally derive some benefit from each other. I came here 5 years ago knowing nothing but having written my own system from scratch wondering why it failed in a rangebound market. 5 years later I am a 'Darksider'. I got here from interacting with seriously smart people here and reading some seriously good posts from those around when I joined. Last year when I had the fall from my mighty 90% hit rate in the summer and drew down quite badly, I got support from you, Lee, Pedro (DT), Pete, BBMAC. The first part of my thread the week before was a good conversation where I learnt things. I had a real lightbulb moment talking to Shakone a few weeks ago. I learn about automation from LV and more recently from Random12345. As I am dabbling with EURUSD, I look at the live calls thread and try to see what Flash and the guys are doing.

There is a great support network and a lot of good content on this site but I want to be able to get access to it more quickly and I have concluded that the best way to achieve this is to tell all the above and all the others like hare, tar, jungle, nvp, hoggums, neil, wsw, vielgeld, pat, atilla, gaffs, isatrader, cv, etc, etc, etc that there is a place that is self-policed by the like minded to get on with trading and talking about trading, unimpeded, without feeling exhausted by participation...

Exactly , this Lulz business is the real reason behind the trolling , any off-topic post should be deleted at the discretion of the mods .

lulz will be allowed = trolling

I do understand your PoV tar but that's a bit like saying "We will have no fun here". Surely it's about balance isn't it?

The regular posters that you refer to spend more time chatting about the site itself and it's structure and rules than you do about trading.

Not so. I often post about actual trades. But I believe the OP could not withstand differing techniques and philosophies, this is why I think he wants a cordoned off area for people who would agree with him. But there are very few active members here anyway. So at best he will get maybe 5 to play with him in his corner for a short while before they leave for better fun elsewhere.

Trading isn't complicated. There isn't that much to talk about. The reason people do lulz is precisely because talking about the trading ideas gets dry and lulz brings great relief.

Here's the status of my latest trade. People can lulz it all they want, the mean is still greatly in my favour.

157164d1361963930-setting-up-private-sub-forum-trading.jpg

Attachments

• trading.jpg
    trading.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 523
:rolleyes:

For the record Joe, do you see me arguing the toss with hare who trades a systemic random entry system or LV who trades entirely automated? Do I chastise BBMAC because he doesn't run his winners as far as "I" think he can? Do you see me personally attacking people?

No.

That's because I generally accept difference. You are right though - I would not invite you into a private forum about trading because you are rude and disruptive. These qualities are independent of your knowledge, skill, experience and style of trading. You are just not in my club and you can bellyache to your hearts content about it.

Last edited:
I do understand your PoV tar but that's a bit like saying "We will have no fun here". Surely it's about balance isn't it?

One lulzy post will derail the whole thread believe me , we can have fun in the joke of the day thread and the likes , serious trading threads should stay so ...

One lulzy post will derail the whole thread believe me , we can have fun in the joke of the day thread and the likes , serious trading threads should stay so ...

Maybe you and Lee are right. Maybe this is the crux of it all.

Maybe you and Lee are right. Maybe this is the crux of it all.

yes a lot in that, I think. lulz begets lulz and before you know it........Mind you it'd be a dry old place if there wasn't room for light hearted exchanges amongst the serious stuff.

And talking of serious, I've just missed a damn trade :mad:

Hi Jon, and all that are interested,

Going back to the good old days when T2W had 5k viewers as to the usual now 1k or less at any point during the day I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to look at what used to be and compare against what is now.

In short there is too much lulz and derailing, p1sstakers and the like. When I first joined here (and I came from a different forum), I joined because of its serious discussions. Yes, there should be lulz but that is what the foyer and joke of the day threads are for.

There are just too many 5 mile snipers here now. Some of the big greats started commenting years back that T2W was going down hill. Why didn't we listen then, well....we cant turn back the clock but we can take action today.

We need more of what people come here for in the first place. If people want to be taken the p1ss out of or attacked then they'll strip naked in the lions pit of a zoo. If people want jokes and luls I expect that they'll probably look elsewhere for this.

There will always be the shoot out when a vendor crosses the line or when the absurd need a kicking back into reality and this is somewhat accepted, however, its the gang mentality that has clearly got out of control and even worse still - I doubt these gang members can actually trade (taking money out not topping up). either way they are no help whatsoever and are destroying the site. Get rid of a few to get the many. I personally believe that the site has gotten scared of chopping a few necks due to losing there (pointless) post counts.

This is a trading forum......Where people come to learn about trading and be accepted, new and old, experienced or not. It would seem some on here are the aggressive angry drivers constantly beeping and harassing behind the other vehicle on the way to work, we should remember that we are all different in trading styles and beliefs, if we don't want to help then we should bugger off somewhere else.

T2W needs to get back the magic and purpose that Sharky built this place for.

My 5 cents,

Lee

Lee says it all, as usual.

Personally, I reckon two tiered moderation is the best answer. Threads that are designated "serious discussion" threads (but who would decide that :)) would be vigorously moderated to keep it strictly on topic and free of the crap.

One other trouble is trying to cater for all tastes, For example, you say "Obviously lulz will be allowed......." but one person's enjoyable lulz is another person's irritating crap.

We come here for a good lauf , and to relieve stress of trading , it is an addiction like a smoker who needs two puffs of oxygen .

How can anyone deprive us of the Lulz?

rob

To start with why not do as suggested and start a journal - you have some moderating rights there and/or you can be free with the report button and we'll hit is as hard as you like.

Means that topics won't be separated, of course, but they do tend to dry up after a bit so shouldn't present too much of a problem for day to day discourse.

You are right though - I would not invite you into a private forum about trading because you are rude and disruptive.

It takes all kinds in life.

As for your invite, I never considered it even for a second. You don't post much (I don't know in the past. But I never look at old posts unless I have a good reason to. The last guy's old posts I looked at was that grey trader guy - in fact he added value for me and gave me the final-final piece missing in my puzzle), and what you do post about doesn't really add any value, in my assessment, in terms of trading. So not being able to come into the corner where you try to carve out for yourself is no loss to me.

Last edited: