Seeking consistency

Jan & Feb were good but what happened March & April ?
March
1. I had too many losers to winners (don't know if that is fixable)
2. My winners were too small (one was at half stake which is fixable, the other only gave me a '1 times risk')

Attachments

• March.gif
    March.gif
    36.4 KB · Views: 200
March
1. I had too many losers to winners (don't know if that is fixable)
2. My winners were too small (one was at half stake which is fixable, the other only gave me a '1 times risk')
ditto April

although its (now) fairly obvious I have had a bit of a 'Euro bashing' bias, which has cost me...especially as I mis calculated my lot sizing on the last one, so it cost me more than a usual '1 X' loss

Attachments

• April.gif
    April.gif
    42.8 KB · Views: 165
Jan & Feb were good but what happened March & April ?

Pat494

That was a very useful exercise, thank you

I have already realised that my trade management strategy is sub optimal:
I leave a part position with an extremely optimistic target, and using a trialing stop

Seems fine in theory, however

Only two trades in my record achieved a larger profit on this 'final' part than I did on my 'Target 2' (usually around twice the risk in pips, but dictated by previous immediate term Daily chart Support/Resistance levels)

This may be because I 'trail' on the 4 hour time-frame, yet am ultimately aiming for a weekly or monthly time-frame Support / Resistance level, so I am taking the trade out too early, due to the time-frame 'mis-match'

It doesn't really matter why that approach isn't working, it just isn't

So my approach from now on will be to only have the first two targets for each set up (makes calculating the lot size easier too) and to pro-actively seek 'add to' trade set ups to pyramid into winning trades without increasing the overall trade risk size. I used to be able to this quite successfully, adding two, three or even sometimes four positions, only adding when the previous one had no risk and its predecessors 'locked in' profits which at least made the sum of all of the trades break even

Thanks once again Pat494 for motivating me go through this exercise, as you've helped me to remember that something I used to do worked better than what I now do!

Re: CAD JPY long trigger

I have placed an order long, about half way back into yesterdays daily candle @ 96.50 with a -75pip risk stop at 95.75 (4 hour swing low)
Target 1 = R1 =+75pips @ 97.25
Target 2 = recent daily high @ 98.75 (R3)
Target 3 = trailing stop )essentially looking for a break higher on the daily time-frame
Order triggered open and T1 achieved. Stops on remaining parts moved to breakeven @ 97.25

Attachments

• cad jpy t1.gif
    cad jpy t1.gif
    88.8 KB · Views: 192
Re: CAD JPY long trigger

Order triggered open and T1 achieved. Stops on remaining parts moved to breakeven @ 97.25
T2 achieved
trailing stop on final part to 97.75 (+50)

Attachments

• cad jpy t2.gif
    cad jpy t2.gif
    86.7 KB · Views: 174
EUR GBP short

Daily trend indicator is short, 4 hour long

Price has retraced 50% of the last down swing and printed a daily long tail / wick daily candle potentially indicating rejection of higher prices at this time

This candle appears within the potential dynamic resistance zone between the daily 20 + 50 period moving averages (indicators) and at the potential weekly resistance of an unconfirmed (only two touches) descending trend line resistance

Looking withing the daily bar, a sound 4 hour ' shooting star' candle can be seen to have been printed, which I am using as my trigger for a short order
Short @ 0.84 85, stop at 0.85 20 (-35pisp risk)
T1 = R1 @ 0.84 50
T2 @ 0.84 00 (potential +85 pips, R=2.4)

As mentioned in recent communication with Pat494, I am no longer having a trailing stop T3 option, should price break the strong support @ 0.84 00, I will look for an opportunity to re-enter the pair short

Attachments

• eur gbp short trigger.gif
    eur gbp short trigger.gif
    98.6 KB · Views: 157
Re: EUR GBP short

Short @ 0.84 85, stop at 0.85 20 (-35pisp risk)
T1 = R1 @ 0.84 50
T2 @ 0.84 00 (potential +85 pips, R=2.4)

My order has been filled and T1 has been touched (but not quite hit, due to the spread)

I have therefore decided to move my stops to Break Even, removing all risk, but increasing the chance of being stopped out for NIL

Attachments

• eur gbp short stp be.gif
    eur gbp short stp be.gif
    78.9 KB · Views: 155

I have therefore decided to move my stops to Break Even, removing all risk, but increasing the chance of being stopped out for NIL

T1 achieved, price now retracing higher - watching for another short entry trigger as this pair 'winds up' into a smaller and smaller range. Now that both the 4 hour and daily indicators are short, I am anticipating a large move to the downside once the 0.84 00 support level is convincingly broken on the daily time-frame

Attachments

• eur gbp short t1 achieved.gif
    eur gbp short t1 achieved.gif
    95.8 KB · Views: 164
NZD JPY long trigger

My daily indicator is long, 4 hour short
Price has retraced 50% of the previous daily up swing and printed a daily (Friday) candle of a 'hammer' type shape suggesting rejection of lower prices at this time
The last 4 hour candle is also a 'hammer' shape, with a very long tail / wick also suggesting strong support for this pair at this level (previous daily support)

I have therefore placed an order to enter this pair long @ 83.15 with a stop below the 4 hour pin at 82. 45 (risk -70pips)
Target 1 = R1 = +70pips @ 83.85
Target 2 - recent highs @ 84.70 (+155pips, R=2.2)
Depending upon price action, I will seek to add to this position if price is able to sustain (close above) a daily break of 85.00 resistance with a longer term target of 88.50

Note stop and T1 are slightly different to the lines added to the attached 4h chart, as I noticed the 4H pin actually went lower than my original stop level

Attachments

• nzd jpy lomg triggers.gif
    nzd jpy lomg triggers.gif
    89.6 KB · Views: 183
USD CAD short trigger

Daily chart just printed a long tail/wick candle of a 'shooting star'' type, indicating rejection of higher prices at this time at an area of previous swing highs on the daily timeframe

I have placed an order to short this pair @ 1.02 30 with a stop above the daily high at 1.03 25 (-95 pips risk)
T1= R1 @ 1.01 35
T2 = recent daily low @ 1.00 30 (+200 pips, R=2)

Re: USD CAD short trigger

I have placed an order to short this pair @ 1.02 30 with a stop above the daily high at 1.03 25 (-95 pips risk)
T1= R1 @ 1.01 35
T2 = recent daily low @ 1.00 30 (+200 pips, R=2)
Daily trigger candle invalidated (price has broken the tail of the candle and closed decisively higher. Orders removed!

Watching for resistance to be tested as support, for a long trigger

I got to cut my losers, or else I’m in trouble. I just make the losses to be so small, so that whenever the market conditions become ok for me, I shoot ahead. For example, if I win 10 or 15 trades in a row, I gain about 10% or 16% or even more.

T1 achieved, price now retracing higher - watching for another short entry trigger as this pair 'winds up' into a smaller and smaller range. Now that both the 4 hour and daily indicators are short, I am anticipating a large move to the downside once the 0.84 00 support level is convincingly broken on the daily time-frame
Second part stopped out for NIL

Attachments

• eur gbp stop hit.gif
    eur gbp stop hit.gif
    95.7 KB · Views: 171
Re: NZD JPY long trigger

I have therefore placed an order to enter this pair long @ 83.15 with a stop below the 4 hour pin at 82. 45 (risk -70pips)
Target 1 = R1 = +70pips @ 83.85
Target 2 - recent highs @ 84.70 (+155pips, R=2.2)

Stops hit for full loss -70pips

Attachments

• nzd jpy stop hit.gif
    nzd jpy stop hit.gif
    90.9 KB · Views: 146
Good that now you are trying to refine your trading terms which is for your benefit. Having stops at the strong level is more important sometimes than the usual money management to realize the profits.

AUD USD long trigger (counter trend)

Both the daily and 4 hour time-frame indicators are short

However, price has reached a significant support level on the weekly chart (0.95 70) and printed a daily candle that indicates rejection of lower prices at this time, due to its long tail / wick

I have placed an order to enter this market long @ 0.96 70 with a stop at 0.95 25 (-150 pips risk) and target at R1 0.98 20 and T2 at parity (being between the 50% and 61.8% re-tracement of the recent daily down swing) (R=2 if achieved)

I would usually place my order about 50% back into the daily candle, to reduce the stop size and increase the potential R (risk / reward ratio). However price has already re-tested the 50% area overnight / during the Asian session and I missed the last excellent long trigger on this pair (March 4th) because I had placed my order at the 50% re-tracement into the daily trigger candle and price did not pull back to open my order

Attachments

• aud usd long.gif
    aud usd long.gif
    89.4 KB · Views: 179
Results Summary

The outstanding Aprils positions (post #713 CAD JPY) have now all closed

May has an outstanding position. Of the two trades made, one achieved R1 on the first half and the other was a loser, thus a net loss at present of 0.5R (roughly £100, as my standard risk is £200)

2013 to May +16%:

Attachments

• April 2013 all closed.gif
    April 2013 all closed.gif
    63.4 KB · Views: 210
  • May 2013.gif
    May 2013.gif
    23.5 KB · Views: 159
  • 5 months to May 2013.gif
    5 months to May 2013.gif
    10.8 KB · Views: 151
Good that now you are trying to refine your trading terms which is for your benefit. Having stops at the strong level is more important sometimes than the usual money management to realize the profits.

I think the stops should be beyond those strong levels because there are more chances that market will reverse from those level and it will hurt if it reverses after touching your stops.