Scarr Trading's spread charts

jhaughey

Hello,

Has anyone used this company'e spread charting package?

http://www.scarrtrading.com

Any pro's and cons?

Is it pretty much what the Moore Research Center offer?

Reason I ask is that it seems so simple (too simple) to use, I find the MRCI website pretty difficult to get to grips with.... and think this other service might be a better place to start....(I'm a spread trading novice).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated....
Thanks

Scarrtrading

Hi jhaughey,

Yes, I have used it for about 1.5 years now (I trade spreads among other things). It is really great software. One intangible is that the developer is constantly improving it and adding new features. He also is extremely responsive, and will often incorporate requests (even if somewhat odd).

Yes, it covers many of the things MRCI does, but cheaper and more flexibility. At least from what I can tell, scarrtrading software will do everything you need to make your own evaluations (and not rely just on MRCI's interpretations). Allows you much more flexibility in looking for and evaluating spreads (and outrights). Because of this software, I decided not to use MRCI (and haven't felt the need to since).

If you have any other questions, please let me know. Also, I have no affiliation with the software or company/developer (just a happy customer).

Good luck!
E

jhaughey said:
Hello,

Has anyone used this company'e spread charting package?

http://www.scarrtrading.com

Any pro's and cons?

Reason I ask is that it seems so simple (too simple) to use, I find the MRCI website pretty difficult to get to grips with.... and think this other service might be a better place to start....(I'm a spread trading novice).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated....
Thanks

thanks for your reply Aerobinso,

Those are my sentiments exactly... I've always preferred to do my own research, with MRCI I feel like I'll be paying more for an advisory service....

Jhaughey

Moore’s free sample will cost you nothing. Scarr does seem to offer a wealth of information. It’s priced just a little below Moore. Should take a lot of your Time to use efficiently. Seems like you are pretty much on your own.
jhaughey said:
Hello,

Has anyone used this company’s spread charting package?

Scarrtrading.com

Any pro's and cons?

No! Moore mainly isolates seasonal patterns for you. Scarr is more for someone spending a lot of time doing research on their own. Mrci puts out complete reports. Scarr gives you the tools, as far as I can see. To find these and other patterns on your own. It’s the difference between singing harmony and writing the song yourself.
Reason I ask is that it seems so simple (too simple) to use,
No doubt about that. It's just what does a new trader need to know in order to trade, is the problem.
I find the MRCI website pretty difficult to get to grips with....
The main site is overwhelming for even the experienced trader. No one has the capital to try all the goodies Steve uncovers. Better to just get Jerry’s spread letter and learn there.
and think this other service might be a better place to start....(I'm a spread trading novice).
If I was playing with Scarrs I might try to see how Moore comes to there conclusions on seasonal patterns as a place to start. Then I would test different systems against Moore’s cycles, trying to find a worthwhile edge for your style of trading.

scar.gif

No doubt that Scarrs has put together a great package at a reasonable price. I don't see how you can go wrong either way. They appear to complement each other. It just depends what you are looking for, and how much time you want to spend looking for it.

I am just not sure if a novice can take advantage of it all. For example do you need Continuous Contracts?

"It's just what does a new trader need to know in order to trade, is the problem."

Thanks for the reply Goldtrader...
I want to keep things as simple as possible. On reflection all I want to start with is a package where I can chart the price difference of various contracts presently, compared with a multi-year average of the same spread. (Like the ones in Keith Schap's "complete guide to spread trading" where it's obvious when we're in an inverted or carry market...
What would you recommend?
I bought the "Encyclopedia of Spreads" by Steve Moore, it's a book I'm having to really work hard at to understand... a lot of the concepts are just flying over my head... which is making me reluctant to sign up (for now that is) for the MRCI's services.

thanks again,
joe

thanks again...

just signed up to barchart.com's advanced commodities service... exactly what I needed to start with i think....

I'm actually just about to sign up with Scarr, since the package is so enticing - just what I'm looking for! However, I do not think it's for beginners. But their spread charting looks excellent - I've been doing a huge amount of work in Excel up to now, and that's on crude oil alone.

I'm just starting out with seasonal spreads with a small portion of my account, and have purchased Moore's Encyclopedia. The thing is, even though I've only just started working on seasonal spreads I have been equities for many many years and definitely want to do my own research.

What I've found so far is that the Encyclopedia is great when it comes to offering trading ideas, however their examples with entry dates are of course extremely curvefitted and thus I want to do better research aking to what is possible with the Scarr trades. There are definitely a lot of spread trades in there that are questionable and where the research seems a bit simple (a few big trades making a pattern seem more profitable than it's reasonable to expect). And then there are some real gems. I'm sure someone with a background in maths and statistics will be able to give more enlightened criticism to their methods, but since I have no such background I am not able to be more precise.

So basicly, I want to find my own trades but have found the Encyclopedia extremely helpful for providing ideas and spreads to examine more closely. MRCI I haven't signed up for, I don't think it would be that useful for me. I'm not sure just going for a straight advisory service where the trades comes prepackaged to you with entry and exit date is such a good idea - there's no such thing as a free lunch. I might sign up later when I've worked through the year and established my own yearly plan for spreads, to get the commentary - right now I just want to get my research done.

How to research spreads:Jake Bernstein’s early stuff

Really for what you want to do, you need to read Jake Bernstein’s early (pre-Moore) stuff exhaustively.
hrokling said:
I have been equities for many many years and definitely want to do my own research.. I want to do better research aking to what is possible..So basicly, I want to find my own trades..right now I just want to get my research done.
jakebernstein.jpg
Jake gets into what you will be up against doing that kind of research.​