same with all future markets

badtrader said:
charliechan

Agree flavour of the months do change. It may be me I am always looking to improve, I got no problems pulling the trigger or cutting losses, in fact my entry is good but I always wonder who are the few who get in before me by 2 to 4 bars. This is why I am looking in depth and see if I can improve more.

Also have you notice just before a short term thrust move in the s&p dow Russell all move the exact same time, although there a millions trading these different instruments all over the world lets say the s&p was flavour of the month, then why on earth does the other 3 move the exact same time. If the s&p was the lead, there should be a little delay, but there is nothing. It does you head does it not. :confused:

1st para:

although it may be nice to get in 3-4 bars earlier with hindsight, is that approach profitable or realistic?

picking tops and bottoms has been the death of many. it is usually caused by greed - and we all know where that takes the trader - straight to the poor house.

you may be better trying to optimise your returns, rather than maximise them.

jmo

2nd para:

this is kind of related to the first isnt it - yes when there is a move, they often but not always all move at once, together. wouldnt it be great to spot that 3-4 bars earlier and get in when it is just starting to make that move.

well there are 2 ways to do this, and i dont mind revealing them here:

1/ all you have to do is go down to your local gippo caravan site and get one of the pikers to sell you a crystal ball!! simple.
2/ go join the club - i.e. go work for the sort of institution or individuals that are doing the buying or selling. then you'll know. when these gorillas go out on a shopping spree, they dont hang around or do it by halves. they will buy ftse futures, dow futures, spoos, russells, hang sengs, nasdaqs, AND all the cash components that go with it. if they want to win, they want to win big. winners think big. they do big.

I dont try to pick tops and bottoms, But on a 1 min bars, who are getting in before me. by 2 to 4 bars. and this is what I am working on. what are they looking at how are they getting in before me. This is my next project. I am to hard on my self sometimes.But it make me better trader

ok - sorry i missunderstood.

i still wouldnt worry too much about it though. the people getting in earlier are either those who are trading on smaller fractals to you - tick charts or time and sales.

all the t & s traders (mostly scalpers) still have a herd mentality like the rest - all moving from bid to ask etc, creating tides (or ripples) in the markets that you then notice as a higher high on a 1 min bar. next time that high is reached say 40 secs later, they play around the high number, perhaps creating another 1min high. a few highs later 1min traders start to see a trend.....

they could well be getting out earlier than you as well.

charliechan said:
ok - sorry i missunderstood.

all the t & s traders (mostly scalpers) still have a herd mentality like the rest - all moving from bid to ask etc, creating tides (or ripples) in the markets that you then notice as a higher high on a 1 min bar. next time that high is reached say 40 secs later, they play around the high number, perhaps creating another 1min high. a few highs later 1min traders start to see a trend.....

they could well be getting out earlier than you as well.
Concur