S&P

musharaf

I would like to know what is S&P. Is it a trade body or a group of companies trading under one banner. ?

I am confused

Thanks

the SP500 are 500 of the largest publicly traded companies by capitalisation registered in the US.

they are combined by an equal weighting (i think, unlike the Dow) to create a composite index the SP500.

please correct me if im wrong.

Try this.
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/cp?s=^spx

Composition
The S&P 500 is not comprised of simply the 500 largest U.S. stocks. Instead, it consists primarily of leading companies from a wide variety of different economic sectors. The index started with 23 identified sectors, but today contains over 100 unique sectors. Most analysts choose to use the S&P as their preferred benchmark index thanks to its diversified sector coverage as well as its market value weighting. Because the index is weighted by market cap, the largest firms have the greatest impact on the S&P's value.

musharaf said:
can i get a list of companies listed in sp500.

thanks
Cut and paste the link I have posted above, for some reason it won't display as a link. One more try...

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/cp?s=^spx

i see where you are coming from Musharaf..

ethical/religous investing..

im 90% certain it will do, but i'll have a look for you.

fc

FetterChinos

you are right
we are in saudi arabia and we dont deal in interest, or companies dealing in liquor or any substance prohibited in religion

thanks for your replies

musharaf said:
FetterChinos

you are right
we are in saudi arabia and we dont deal in interest, or companies dealing in liquor or any substance prohibited in religion

thanks for your replies
That seems a bit abstract since the S&P is only an index, not a company so it is not resposible for it's components, it would seem to be a little like saying we will not do business with the US because it has Liquor companies.
No disrespect meant.

no, but if he is trading SP500 futures then that is by definition investing in such companies, in a roundabout way.

still must respect world religions Roguey-pants :)

still, with summer, and a thirsty Chinos, i heartily advise in investing in beverage companies...

FetteredChinos said:
no, but if he is trading SP500 futures then that is by definition investing in such companies, in a roundabout way.

still must respect world religions Roguey-pants :)

still, with summer, and a thirsty Chinos, i heartily advise in investing in beverage companies...

Understand what you are saying FC, and quite right, all due respect, it must make trading a little more tricky as it would not be uncommon for a company to have a stake in a beverage company or related industry which is not part of its own core business, and not on the surface obvious, where do you draw the proverbial line.

i believe it also makes obtaining mortgages and loans rather problematic.

cant be easy dealing with the modern world and its requirements, but i have every admiration for those that stick to their principles on such matters.

fc

plz accept my heartiest thanks for all you ppl who helped out of this confusion. respect for other's religions and feelings is a part of humanity.

'S&P' is the acronym used to identify Standard and Poors which is a large US public company whose main business is providing commercial credit rating services on a large scale. They are probably the most prestigious such agency in the world. Like FT International who maintain various market indices including the FT100, in the UK, a sideline of S&P is the maintenance and publication of similar indices - hundreds of them in fact. It's just that the S&P500 is probably the most well known of them. It is the prestige of the S&P company guaranteeing the integrity of the index that makes it one of the most widely used tools for monitoring US stocks. It is also used as the basis for hundreds of derivative products and two futures / Options products as well.

You could start an index of your own if you wanted - but you'd have to work at it if you wanted it to rival to the S&P500 ;)

hello rogue and fettered

dont see how you invest in the underlying companies of the S&P500 in a roundabout way if you trade the futures? you only trade their performance isn`t it?
you only invest in those companies if you directly buy their shares

so in my opinion musharaf you can safely buy all the futures in the world!

If you do a web search using 'ethical investing' it comes up with several sites that might be worth looking at