S&P 500 & other indexes - intraday. Plus chat

@Pedro - 'Man up' was the advice proferred by my mrs last year. It worked - LOL. Also I had a stonking run from Feb through to end of May with 3 losers in 34 trades. Overconfident and sloppy? I can identify with this. What I didn't expect was how badly I would react to the drawdown post this golden period.

Well - you aren't the first and you wont be the last. :) You'll figure it out.

Seriously chaps, thanks for taking the time to reply with the advice which has been good counsel on all levels

You give a lot on here, now you know people have noticed! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Re: Recent loss of form

It really depends on who are the longer term players you are referring to?

I like Jim Daltons explanation:

GM make cars
Car dealers buy & sell cars
Joe public buys cars

Like the different players in financial markets, they all have different holding periods.

In this scenario the day traders are the car dealers. They don't move the market as much as the manufacturers or the consumers do. They hold for the least amount of time.

Hence when day traders are the main operators, you can't really expect much vertical price development. You expect moves from one extreme of the value area to the other.

When half the day traders are absent, you can't expect much rationality to the price behaviour. It behaves differently and to all intents & purposes, it's like trading a different market.

That's how I view it anyway.

Last edited:
Well - you aren't the first and you wont be the last. :) You'll figure it out.

You know this is all just a reaction because I have gone from this:

InbyF

to this:

colic.jpg

In my own head

:LOL::LOL:

Thanks for the words chaps - all valid at a time when my head is pretty messed up. I told Pedro this in a PM a couple of weeks ago but thought it at the time it was a more transient and short term lull in performance.

@Lee - this is not the first loss of confidence I have had. I got the inevitable one from demo to live and then another one about a year ago when I moved up size quite dramatically. What makes this one harder is that there seems to be no 'obvious' reason for it. I do concur though that I have lost confidence and I am now in a cycle of snatching at trades that aren't really there.

@WSW - Just for clarification, the VPOCs, HVNs, LVNs, gap close for the RTH session are all considered on whether to take the trade or not btw. I just don't go into lots of detail about it all. RTH behaviour is my base context for trading ES. As for the self-understanding thing, I think I have just discovered another area for development :)

@jon - Easier said than done getting back to it. Been trying for 4 weeks and it's like I just keep fncking it up. As for my exits they have always been lousy but they work. The exit efficiency has dropped a little (it does average at 47%) recently but it is selection/entry that is hurting me right now

@Pedro - 'Man up' was the advice proferred by my mrs last year. It worked - LOL. Also I had a stonking run from Feb through to end of May with 3 losers in 34 trades. Overconfident and sloppy? I can identify with this. What I didn't expect was how badly I would react to the drawdown post this golden period.

@Kimo - I know it is a blip but it's no fun in here. I also concur with the keeping in check. During the 34 trade golden run, I felt calm, measured, unexcited but focused. I feel none of those things right now.

So two things that keep me going:

In clay pigeon shooting there is a maxim - "See it, shoot it". It's there to stop you from overthinking shooting something as this invariably causes a miss. I need to get back into this space again.

"When you fall off the horse, you have to get back on" - self explanatory

Well, let's just see how I get on.

Seriously chaps, thanks for taking the time to reply with the advice which has been good counsel on all levels

There are a couple of other things which may have crept into the subconscious.
Thinking about other things which may be interfering when trading live

1) giving thought to other times of day trading ie european / london open times perhaps following the set ups of dinos or others

2) crossing over of methodologies and allowing elements from one to influence t'other

There are a couple of other things which may have crept into the subconscious.
Thinking about other things which may be interfering when trading live

1) giving thought to other times of day trading ie european / london open times perhaps following the set ups of dinos or others

2) crossing over of methodologies and allowing elements from one to influence t'other

Didn't you & Viel spot a few weeks ago that something had changed, driven by this stuff in the European session. This on some level is why i have become fixated on absolute price rather than previous approach which was (i) is it in the right area and (ii) is it turning

This is like group therapy or alternatively a slightly surreal episode of Miss Marple - you know the one - "Rob's trade location senses are missing" where they are discovered, murdered in the Rochdale Canal near the Library/Police Station.

Didn't you & Viel spot a few weeks ago that something had changed, driven by this stuff in the European session. This on some level is why i have become fixated on absolute price rather than previous approach which was (i) is it in the right area and (ii) is it turning

This is like group therapy or alternatively a slightly surreal episode of Miss Marple - you know the one - "Rob's trade location senses are missing" where they are discovered, murdered in the Rochdale Canal near the Library/Police Station.

Iv'e checked the local news...nothing reported ! I'll have a wander down there tomo and have a poke around, see if I can locate them :LOL:

In the mean time HTFU m8.

...........This is like group therapy or alternatively a slightly surreal episode of Miss Marple - you know the one - "Rob's trade location senses are missing" where they are discovered, murdered in the Rochdale Canal near the Library/Police Station............

:LOL: No, they are sitting right there on that shelf above your head in your book "How I trade" you wrote a while ago. Just need to blow the dust off it and out they'll pop.

You will be fine!
I just popped into this thread for a quick look, (the family take most of my time) sorry to see you have been not doing so well. Everyone seems to have covered just about every thing that I could think of to say to help so I won't bother.
But I will say...
The dude in the picture has a BIG head! What's up with that?

I can't offer any advice but I hope you all the best and I'm sure you will get through it all I can say which wont really help but I've followed other threads where this has happened and they all got through it.

Also thanks for starting this thread and everyone sharing shame about the current subject but it is really interesting to read everyones thoughts.

Anyone want a side bet on the post holiday opening price?

I would have to say down...how much i'm not sure but maybe 80 Dow points...whatever that translates to on ES

We had a lot of USD and JPY strength today which should translate into index and AUD weakness.

Time'll tell !

I'm already positioned short...quite happy to see what happens.

I would suggest cutting size to 1 contract until you get in the groove again. Once you get groovin', you'll carry over the feel back into your regular trading. That's what I'd do. :D

This trading stuff is unfortunately deficient in the area of "self-training". It's not like, say, noticing your swing is off if you're a golfer or a tennis player. You can just hit the court anytime and grind it out until it feels right again. With trading, the best I can come up with is trading the same session, but with less size. It's the closest approximation for mental exercise, imo.

So best to train yourself back in shape while you can do it cheap. Pump that iron, Ahnold! :cheesy:

------

Btw, I don't think trading Euro + US open is a bad thing. But as CV says, best to keep e'm separate if possible, and consider trading one over the other if there's some negative feelings being carried over.

Robster, I think you have had loads of good advice here but just wanted to add that I too had wondered if the demo trades were affecting your real ones. Were you less focused on execution on these demo trades as you were testing a method and perhaps confirmation was more important when testing a new theory? Just a thought.

I also suggest a night of heavy drinking, that'll get you thinking straight.

Attachments

• 482953_324793140946083_434771350_n.jpg
    482953_324793140946083_434771350_n.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 190
Yes - this is the last image, taken from CCTV off Yorkshire Street of Miss Location V Confirmation talking to the suspect shortly before her disappearance.

028carkerbDM_228x246.jpg

:LOL:

Joking aside, your trade senses are fit matey, hope you find 'em soon. My trade senses are pure ming, mate. Think i was drunk, know what i mean?:rolleyes:

imagesCAXEC4LB minging trade senses.jpg

Maybe we can do a bit of trade sense swapping when you get yours back;)