S&P 500 cash weekly competition for 2014 with PRIZES!

League table updated with bulls to bears.

Two weeks to go, half way through the year 2014. End of QTR-2 is going to be a close run.

Wishing you all good luck and prosperous trading :)

Well done LexCorp who is ultimately the last bull standing amongts the bears and so he gets the big chair.

LexCorp also becomes one of the few to get three gold medals in any one quarter. This is rare. (y)

The biggest baddest bull is LexCorp :clap:(y):clap:

People talking about the bulls becoming extinct in ever falling volume but market keeps making new highs. 2000 pencilled in I reckon.

..............................LexCorp
last_man_standing_ver2.jpg

League Table with one weeks forecast left to go to end of Quarter-2 competition.

Malaguti is the only one who can beat Weighted Average this Quarter.

Average and Gaffs can make joint first.

It is going to be an interesting end and dare I say it $100 Amazon gift voucher carried forward to 3rd quarter pot sum of $150.

Tough call Malaguti... Good luck to you (y)

Last edited:
Looks like I started playing with you boys too late and missed too many games to put me in the running to win an end of year prize.
Have to at least try and beat the average next quarter!....

Looks like I started playing with you boys too late and missed too many games to put me in the running to win an end of year prize.
Have to at least try and beat the average next quarter!....

Hi Lex,

If Averages win this 2nd quarter, prize money will then roll over to next quarter to $150 and keep doing so until humanoids get the full distribution of the cake at the end of the year.

End of year aggregate score adds another $50 to make a grand annual prize of $250 in total. So you are still in shot to get the lion share if Malaguti doesn't collect next week.

Objective is consistency and you certainly have the highest points per match played at the moment. Be interesting to see if your good run is flash in the pan or the real deal. :whistling

So far so good and best of luck (y)

We may also get more competitors/forecasters next quarter as the scoring field will be leveled for Qtr-3 winner. That should make it more difficult and probably give Averages a better run.

Hope that all makes sense. :)

NEW YORK, June 20 (Reuters) - U.S. stocks rose on Friday, driving the Dow and the S&P 500 to close at record highs as the shares of 330 companies hit 52-week highs on the New York Stock Exchange.
The S&P 500 scored its third record closing high in a row while the Dow surpassed its previous record close on June 10. The blue-chip index hit an all-time intraday high at 16,978.02, coming close to the 17,000 mark.
For the week, the three major U.S. stock indexes rose 1 percent as investors brushed off geopolitical concerns about Iraq and focused on the Federal Reserve's comments indicating that it will keep interest rates low for a long period of time.
The benchmark S&P 500 has gained for six consecutive days, supporting a cautious view that a near-term correction may be inevitable.
"I haven't been concerned for weeks, but I'm becoming a bit concerned now with where the market is, especially with many indicators hitting levels that are contrary to the normal reading," said Randy Frederick, managing director of active trading and derivatives for Charles Schwab in Austin, Texas.
The most notable indicators included the correlation of the CBOE Volatility Index, known as the VIX, with the S&P 500. The VIX usually moves inversely to the S&P 500. The fear gauge is near its lowest since February 2007 while the S&P 500 is at an all-time high. For the VIX to be near the lowest level in more than seven years while the S&P 500 is at a record high is causing concern that the market may be too complacent.
"I'm expecting not a big correction like 10 percent or so, but a good 3 to 4 percent adjustment next week won't be a surprise," Frederick said.
The VIX rose 2.2 percent to close at 10.85, still well below its long-term average of 20.
Volume was higher than usual as Friday marked a "quadruple witching" day - the expiration of stock options, index options, index futures and single-stock futures.
The Dow Jones industrial average rose 25.62 points or 0.15 percent, to end at 16,947.08. The S&P 500 gained 3.39 points or 0.17 percent, to 1,962.87. The Nasdaq Composite added 8.71 points or 0.20 percent, to 4,368.04.
For the week, the Dow rose 1 percent, the S&P 500 climbed 1.4 percent and the Nasdaq gained 1.3 percent.
Oracle Corp shares dropped 4 percent to $40.82 and ranked among the biggest drags on the S&P 500. The stock's slide came a day after the software maker posted fiscal fourth-quarter results that disappointed investors looking for more progress against rivals selling web-based services.
But CarMax surged 16.5 percent to $52.75. The stock was the S&P 500's best performer after the used-vehicle retailer reported first-quarter earnings that topped analysts' expectations.
RadioShack Corp was among the 18 stocks that hit a 52-week low on the New York Stock Exchange on Friday. The stock hit a lifetime low, dropping into penny-stock territory for the first time on heavy volume. The stock fell 10.4 percent to 92 cents.
Volume was heavy after RadioShack's stock fell under the threshold, with about 13 million shares exchanging hands, compared with its composite 25-day average of 3.9 million.
About 7.2 billion shares changed hands on U.S. exchanges, well above the average of 5.5 billion for the month to date, according to data from BATS Global Markets.
(Editing by Jan Paschal)

Brain and System now back in synch again... (n)

This was an unfortunate statement of mass devestation. Instead of falling the SPX500 rose 26 points. Both system and brain got it well wrong last week! :cry:

System now says up and and brain says down. Last time I was in this conundrum, I went with the system and got nil puan.

So this time will go with my thoughts and forecast a small pull-back to;

1949 - Ireland formally declares itself a republic and leaves the Commonwealth

Last edited:
can anyone play or is this a private numbers game ?

hahahahaha
N

can anyone play or is this a private numbers game ?

hahahahaha
N

Hi NVP,

Anyone can play yes and it would be great to have you in the competition. :)

Also, good time as next month we start again for 3rd Quarter and there is a quarterly prize of a $50 at the end of Sept.

We'll need a forecast from you before US market opens tomorrow morning, as to where the SPX500 (cash) index will be at COB on Friday.

Welcome to the competition if you are up for the challenge. (y)

I'd like to join in also, a bit of healthy competition is always good.
1966 please, it used to signify something, I cant remember what anymore.

I'd like to join in also, a bit of healthy competition is always good.
1966 please, it used to signify something, I cant remember what anymore.

Hi Postman, Robster & NVP,

Good to hear from you guys visiting our competition and more the merrier.

We don't need parental letter but a medical fit for forecasting sanity certificate may be an advantage :LOL:

fwiw, From next week onwards you'll have equal chance of winning a 3rd Qtr prize - if good enough that is.

I also think we are in new territory with the SPX making new highs whilst the VIX is in the depths of all time lows. Forecasting all the more interesting in the cusp of a new era we find our selves in.

Wishing you max luck. :cheesy: