Rusty non-trading transferable skills.

trendie

Legendary member
In any conventional career or work-life, you gain skills and a knowledgebase that is recognised in your particular arena, be it programming, accountancy or teaching.
In addition to which, you have a peer group and social group.

When you take the step into trading, you are walking away from the above.

If you stop and take stock of your trading years, how do you perceive your transferable skills?
I mean, your commercial skills (programming, teaching, whatever) may be out of date, your experience has lost its value since you left the normal career path.

How would you think of someone who has essentially no conventional skills for the past 2, 3 or more years?

Do you think of what your career prospects might be should the trading hit an extended rough patch?

If you had to restart again, how would you tackle this?

Interesting question/points you raise.

My last job ended in 1994 so I doubt that I am of any use to any employer in the conventional sense in the contemporary work place. When I listen to friends/family talk about their work (they have job titles that weren't ven around when I was 'working,) I realise how out of touch I am with the contemporary workplace and so likely have no conventional transferable skills in that respect. All I can do is remain informed and up to date with my own skill set and knowledge as far as my trading career is concerned. For me it is the only show in town and I don't have a Plan B re starting again with a ' proper ' job !

G/L

In any conventional career or work-life, you gain skills and a knowledgebase that is recognised in your particular arena, be it programming, accountancy or teaching.
In addition to which, you have a peer group and social group.

When you take the step into trading, you are walking away from the above.

If you stop and take stock of your trading years, how do you perceive your transferable skills?
I mean, your commercial skills (programming, teaching, whatever) may be out of date, your experience has lost its value since you left the normal career path.

How would you think of someone who has essentially no conventional skills for the past 2, 3 or more years?

Do you think of what your career prospects might be should the trading hit an extended rough patch?

If you had to restart again, how would you tackle this?

You rarely lose your skills but may get a bit rusty. Generally you wouldn't forget HOW to program or teach but you are not up to date on the latest procedures, lanuages, rules, etc.

For some careers you can go to your local community college and take up to date courses as a refresher. Also you can get certificates from career schools although this may be more expensive. You're right about experience losing it's value to employers who are considering you, but you can offset that somewhat by taking college classes. Most employers will look very favorably on that no matter what age you are.

Peter