Routes into trading

Schopen

I have seen a lot of ads for sales traders, there never seems to be a shortage.
Is sales trading a trading job or a salesman job, and will it ever lead to a trading job?
I am trying to find out where it fits into the overall picture of brokers, MMs, Primary & Secondary markets, companies that are floating/about to float, etc.

I have this idea that a sales trader phones up a client list of some kind and tries to get them to buy particular company shares - could it be shares his/her employer are placing, and are these clients of the firm, or just a spam list of known investors.

So far it seems to me that becoming a sales trader requires demonstrating you have the gift of the gab and not much else (maybe a financial regulation paper), but becoming a trader requires a track record.

If I succesfully trade from home for some period of time (after saving up enough to start and not becoming just another statistic) would that count as a track record, enough to get your foot in?

Or is a sales trader route valid?

I guess I'm talking about share trading. I have a rough idea there are FX sales traders who try and figure how smart/naive their clients are and see how big a spread they can get away with (or something).

Last edited:
I have seen a lot of ads for sales traders, there never seems to be a shortage.
Is sales trading a trading job or a salesman job, and will it ever lead to a trading job?
I am trying to find out where it fits into the overall picture of brokers, MMs, Primary & Secondary markets, companies that are floating/about to float, etc.

I have this idea that a sales trader phones up a client list of some kind and tries to get them to buy particular company shares - could it be shares his/her employer are placing, and are these clients of the firm, or just a spam list of known investors.

So far it seems to me that becoming a sales trader requires demonstrating you have the gift of the gab and not much else (maybe a financial regulation paper), but becoming a trader requires a track record.

If I succesfully trade from home for some period of time (after saving up enough to start and not becoming just another statistic) would that count as a track record, enough to get your foot in?

Or is a sales trader route valid?

I guess I'm talking about share trading. I have a rough idea there are FX sales traders who try and figure how smart/naive their clients are and see how big a spread they can get away with (or something).

I am interested in knowing where the the role of "sales trader" fits into the trading "jigsaw". I am not sure whether or not you would be only executing client trades, or opening new accounts, calling warm/coldish leads etc...

Is anyone on here a "sales trader"? Specifically a sales trader at a spread betting firm? I am a fresh graduate and have come across this job advert and wondering whether it is worth a punt. I have used IG Index a fair bit in the last year.

IG Index plc display advert

Any insight into the average day in this kind of position would be much appreciated. Furthermore what will they be looking for in terms of new hires for these kind of roles? Anyone here worked for IG Index before?

Any feedback is much appreciated, GNAT

I was a sales trader at Cantor index. It was basically executing trades for clients as well as explaing markets, stops, margins etc etc. Basically client services without the more mudance tasks of account opening, deposits, withdrawals etc..

The actual Sales side was pretty basic. Calling customers who have opened an account but not started trading yet, findning out about them etc. It not an agressive cold calling role, like you would get at an advisory broker.

Its the best route to becoming a dealer