Rising dollar..why?!

No, it wasn't. Believe me, I was there in the middle of it because the analytic products I was working on had to be overhauled to adjust for the Euro (working over New Year's weekend, thank you very much (n) ). The initial EUR peg was based on the old ECU (European Currency Unit), which was a basket. Had they just used the D-Mark rate the EUR would have started off below par against the USD as the DEM never reached better than 1:1.

Rhody ,I understand what you are saying and you are right and I was being a little too generalised when I said the DM drove the level of the Euro. That being the case you can however if you are looking for a PROXY still use the old DM ..LOL because it is sufficient in tracking the long term value relative strength relationship between the $ and European currency ,because it was the heavy weight component in the old european currency basket which metamorphisised into the Euro ...LOL
back then I was running a business that billed across most major euro currencies. We transformed onto a Euro basis by by taking each individual currency and cross referencing it as a function of the value of the Dm for the period in which the billing arose. Referenced not to the franc,the lire ,the peseta ,but to the DM because it was the heavy weight.

Chump,

And still, for all intents and purposes, for Euro read Deutschemark; for ECB read Bundesbank.

Grant.

Chump,

And still, for all intents and purposes, for Euro read Deutschemark; for ECB read Bundesbank.

Grant.

Indeed ,even though Trichet, is French I believe ,he's still adhering to the stance of the Bundesb...in effect there is an argument that the Eurozone is in effect the completion of European domination by 'Greater' Germany abeit by a different route than that taken earlier last century. Who was it said "give me control of the moneysupply and ..." .

Chump,

Trichet was excluded on grounds of nationality. However, if we go back far enough we may find have some German blood. If not, we can conclude he's a French traitor - which is fine by me. I like "Tricky", I've got a lot of respect for him.

Realistically, who better than Germany to be the dominant partner? Not Italy with it's corruption, mafia connections and political instability (ie annual general elections). Nor France with Sarkozy (can't run a country on the hoof)and his bimbette. Spain? Holes held together by rotting string.

Admit Russia and its current satellites - that'll provide greater coherence for its previous satellites/new Eastern European EU members. The EU will be under the Russian yoke anyway in a couple of years. Onwards, comrade Trichet.

Grant.

Chump,

Trichet was excluded on grounds of nationality. However, if we go back far enough we may find have some German blood. If not, we can conclude he's a French traitor - which is fine by me. I like "Tricky", I've got a lot of respect for him.

Realistically, who better than Germany to be the dominant partner? Not Italy with it's corruption, mafia connections and political instability (ie annual general elections). Nor France with Sarkozy (can't run a country on the hoof)and his bimbette. Spain? Holes held together by rotting string.

Admit Russia and its current satellites - that'll provide greater coherence for its previous satellites/new Eastern European EU members. The EU will be under the Russian yoke anyway in a couple of years. Onwards, comrade Trichet.

Grant.

With Russia having reserves of gold and oil as well as being local to the Caucas gas and mineral reserves it wouldn't take too much imagination going forward for the Ruble to strengthen considerably.

Remember what happens to Germany when the Russians turn off the gas supply????

Not likely to happen ,but if the Eurozone wants to really nail it's place in the world they should swallow their bile and rollout the red carpet inviting Russia IN on equal weighting with Germany. That will go down like a lead balloon with all the EU bloc ,but inclusion not exclusion is the peaceful way to move forward.

Not likely to happen ,but if the Eurozone wants to really nail it's place in the world they should swallow their bile and rollout the red carpet inviting Russia IN on equal weighting with Germany. That will go down like a lead balloon with all the EU bloc ,but inclusion not exclusion is the peaceful way to move forward.

I agree.

However, some may consider this to be Germany continuing with their invasion plans to conquer Russia...

As long as we the UK stay out of it all... :cool:

Chump,

That would really worry the Yanks and the only way the EU can fulfil its unwritten mandate - defeat US hegemony. Then the US will try to forge stronger ties with India (US bases, etc), China and Iran (oil strategy). Don't know what they'll offer the Chinese - a Disney World?

Grant.

Grant.

What I wouldn't have thought Europe would wish to see is a Russia/China hedgemony ,one based on energy resources harnessed to the largest workforce in the world with all that that might imply.

Chump,

Ain't that the truth. What is funny is the way Russia is out-manoeuvring US-supported EU (Nabucco)objectives regarding near-East oil but especially North African (Libya and Algeria) gas pipelines across southern to Northern Europe. And the irony is, a number of EU members (Austria, Germany, Hungary, Bulgaria and Italy through Eni) are already striking deals with the Russians (Gazprom).

This is funny: Russia’s action is described as a “pincer” attack on Europe by some analysts. “Europe is sleeping as Gazprom...increase(s) its grip on Europe” according to an energy expert at the Moscow based Institute of World Economy and International Relations. Seems that Moscow is choosing its relations.

EU roll out the red carpet to Russia? No, Russia invites the EU to join the Russian Federation.

This is better than football.

Grant.