Releasing energy for trading

I just found this article on the net
http://www.advancementoring.com/resultdaytraderout.php
------------

Congratulations! You are a Day Trader.

Overview:
Of all the personality types, the Day Trader is by far the most ambitious of them all. Characterized mainly with their ability to look at the facts and make a gut decision, the Day Trader is not afraid to take a gamble if it means a big payoff. Day Traders are extremely focused and motivated individuals and taking risks to them is almost as important as breathing. Additionally, the personality type also displays these features: energetic, intelligent, and good with people and communication. The three main aspects of your personality tested in AMPT: how you interact with your environment, how you handle information, and what motivates you, blend together to achieve the Day Trader outcome.

what you guys' opinions?

srusli said:
I just found this article on the net
http://www.advancementoring.com/resultdaytraderout.php
------------

Congratulations! You are a Day Trader.

Overview:
Of all the personality types, the Day Trader is by far the most ambitious of them all. -not all -Characterized mainly with their ability to look at the facts - current data - and make a gut decision - decision based on high probability of success as per Expectancy results from sample trading sets - , the Day Trader is not afraid to take a gamble - calculated risk - if it means a big payoff - some payoffs are small -. Day Traders are extremely focused and motivated individuals and taking - calculated - risks to them is - part of the game - almost as important as breathing. Additionally, the personality type also displays these features: energetic, intelligent, and good with people and communication - agree -. The three main aspects of your personality tested in AMPT: how you interact with your environment, how you handle information, and what motivates you, blend together to achieve the Day Trader outcome - agree -.

what you guys' opinions?

Not sure about the persona thing Charlton - will have to do some more reading first.

Regards,

Thanks CYOF,

there are more in the url. It is interesting to see the differences between other types's motto for example. See below
---
How you interact with your environment
As a Day Trader, you are always interested in what's happening in your environment. You are an open person and love to talk. You aren't afraid to share your opinions and you always say what's on your mind. When dealing with problems or new projects, you like action and initiative. In your relationships, you like meeting new people and can easily make friends and adapt to a new group. But if you find yourself with an unwanted relationship, you have no problem with separating yourself and breaking ties.

How You Handle Information
Day Traders handle information by looking for systems, structures, or patterns that they can process through logic. Eve rything is subject to rigorous logical analysis in the Day Trader's world. When it comes to making decisions, you base your actions on intellect and whether the action is right or wrong. However, Day Traders can also be cold and unemotional and have trouble discussing their true feelings. You love to talk, but sometimes you hide what's really going on inside. This can also lead to you not clearing up arguments or disagreements.

What Motivates You
The way you interact with your environment carries over to you motivations. Action and taking the initiative in a situation are a big part of your life. When facing a tough decision, you go with the situation and act impulsively. Deadlines mean nothing to Day Traders. You prefer freedom from obligations and the quality and quantity of your work output depends heavily on your mood. You are a curious person and interested in looking at situations in a new and different perspective. You can start several projects at once, but that does not mean they will all be your best work. Because Day Traders are such an intuitive type, doing things without any preparation isn't that uncommon of a situation.

Compatible Types
The following are other personality types that you are compatible with. They are determined to be compatible because of possible synergies that lie in your working with one of the following types.

Type Motto

The Leader - You have to work hard to win big.
The Engineer - Just the Facts
The Programmer - Work Hard, Play Hard
Other Day Traders - No Limit, Winner Take All

Incompatible Types
The following are your incompatible personality types. They are determined to be incompatible with your type because they handle information in the opposite manner that you do.

Type - Motto

The Professor - I think, therefore I am.
The Personnel Manager - People Come First
The Writer - Work Hard, Play Hard
The Freelancer - Life is meant to be lived.

Here are the questionares from the website

It is based on their so called AMPT test

"AMPT (Advance Mentoring Personality Test) is a simple personality test designed by Advance Mentoring for use by our Members so they may have yet another tool for finding a Mentor or Mentee easier. It is designed to test three main aspects of your personality; how you interact with your environment, how you handle information, and what motivates you. "
------

1. It's Monday morning and you have an important report due on Friday.

I Begin the report early in the week and spread the work evenly until Friday.

I begin the report when I feel like it, but it will be done on time

2. I am more excited to:

Start a new Project

Finish a Project

3. After a grueling week of work, what would you rather do?

Go out on the town with my family and friends

Stay home and relax with a few hours of reading and television

4. You are faced with the following problem:

You are the head of a major corporation and a new position in management has just opened up. There are two people you could possibly promote to the new position; your sister Julie, who does not have the exact attitude or skills necessary for the position, or Anna, who has been with the company for a number of years and has exactly what it takes to fill the position. Who do you promote?

Anna. She has the necessary skills and deserves it.

Julie. Even though she may not have the skills right now, she is family and will learn in time.

5. A friend is struggling financially and comes to you asking for a loan of $300. You have the money, but your friend is notorious for not paying back debts. Do you lend the money?

Yes

No

6. When it comes to your finances, do you:

Plan for the future

Spend freely

7. A friend asks you to come to dinner with him at a new restaurant with a menu of things you have never heard of or tried before. Do you go with him?

Yes. I love to try new things.

No. I don't like trying new things.

8. If I have a problem or conflict with someone:

I probably wouldn't say anything and keep it to myself.

I would let the person know right away.

9. Usually my desk is:

Clean. I can find exactly what I need when I need it.

Unorganized. It sometimes takes me a while to find things.

10. You are in a board meeting discussing options for an upcoming project. You have an idea that could improve the project. What do you do?

I share my idea, even though it may not be asked for directly.

I keep my idea to myself and speak only when spoken to.

11. When it comes to making decisions,

I stick with the facts

I go with my gut

12. You are taking a trip with your friends and you are driving. Where you are going, you have never been before. What do you do?

Study the map before leaving and make sure you at least have the general directions memorized.

Stop and ask for directions when I need to. I'll get there eventually.

13. When faced with a difficult situation, do you listen to your feelings when making decisions?

When times are tough, it is good to listen to your heart.

Only when my feelings are logical.

14. Others would describe you as:

Able to make the right decision in high pressure situations.

Making decisions based upon the welfare of those involved.

15. You are the manager of a large corporation. One of your employees has violated company policy by stealing from office supply room and you are responsible for determining the future of the employee. Even though the value of the supplies stolen was low, the punishment for this violation is immediate termination according to company policy. What do you do?

Give the employee a warning and do not terminate him.

Fire the employee. He violated the policy, and should now be responsible for the punishment.

16. Who are you looking for as an Advance Mentoring Member?

I am looking for Mentors

I am looking for Mentees

I am looking for both Mentors and Mentees.

-----
Is it relevant to being a typical day trader to have certain preferences rather than the other?

Last edited:
IMHO, if you are going to get a mentor, then the only thing you need to see is his/her Expectancy figure. Nothing else is required.

If they can not provide it, then they either not traders, or they are traders who are not going to show you how it is really done, whom you do not want to deal with anyway, as you will never discover their well guarded secrets.

Nothing else matters, and all the other stuff is only to confuse people, so that they will part with their hard earned money :idea:

Slainte,

Charlton,

Apologies, as I forgot you were trying to get this thread back on track.

I will participate in this discussion if you like, but I may be followed for ridicule, as many now have it in for me - but that does not bother me at all, as you well know.

I am also looking at another site or two, where you might be allowed to post you opinions, and respond to critical posts in a similar manner, without censorship - but it is early days yet, and I am only looking at the moment.

Regards,

Question.

How is it that a persona is not the real you ? Surely it is isnt it? I mean even though its a temporary mask its just a change of hat , as my wife might say.

Question 2.

What is the real you? if you adopt a persona for a length of time (the bulk of your waking life) can that not result in a complete change of a person, resulting in a hybrid of former you and permanent persona?

"Sometimes we have to be everything we are not in order to be all that we are."

Would the above satement include adopting/using a persona? If so we are still that and possibly for the majority of our daily life perhaps.

Also ,why shouldnt a person choose their persona? I read something like " remember this is not the real you" isnt it ? I mean is it bad if you hold your persona , if so why?

Cheers .

Last edited:
Charlton said:
The answer to that goes back to my first postng in the thread. The persona is a mask warn to protect the real essential you from being hurt. Since it is a mask then it can be taken on and off and the process of doing this can be observed by the real you. It's a sort of stepping outside yourself - useful in the trading process.

Cheers Charlton, how can the real you be hurt ? Do you suggest that if a person doesnt use a persona or mask, then they will or might feel that they have been personally attacked or diminshed in some way by that particular life experience or event they have just encountered?

I mean ok so the person adopts a persona and does the same thing, by use of the ideal persona for the task in hand ,does that make the individual less exposed to possible psychlogical scarring ? And how does it work ? just because the person realises / pretends that they have ,(and here shows my youth) "shields of steel" .

What I want to know is why cant a person take on events as the real them monitor and acknowledge their own feelings accept them and continue to do the task at hand? Isnt that a bettter way

I feel I look at it and see a solution whereby people just realise they need to behave or have the best tools to do the job in hand to the standard required. I do not see it as having to adopt a persona as such, maybe its the same thing with a different tag?

I know people who work in frontline very stressful jobs and adopt professional hats , yet all express to the point whereby its visible that they themselves are personally affected by it, despited the use of personas in place . A kind of post traumatic stress disorder if you like, but could this not be a disorder but rather a quite orderly and a very human reaction to be feeling these things?

Charlton said:
CYOF

I thought this thread had died a death, in fact. It had not really got back on course until Legion raised some good points. Of course you are free to join in and I trust that the moderators will prevent abusive comments.

Charlton

Charlton,

Glad to see that it has been taken back up.

I can assure I will not abuse anyone here, as I have more respect for threads started by someone else - I do not mind abusing my own of course, especially when I am been attacked.

Looking forward to some decent discussion.

Regards,

Legion said:
Cheers Charlton, how can the real you be hurt ? Do you suggest that if a person doesnt use a persona or mask, then they will or might feel that they have been personally attacked or diminshed in some way by that particular life experience or event they have just encountered?

I mean ok so the person adopts a persona and does the same thing, by use of the ideal persona for the task in hand ,does that make the individual less exposed to possible psychlogical scarring ? And how does it work ? just because the person realises / pretends that they have ,(and here shows my youth) "shields of steel" .

What I want to know is why cant a person take on events as the real them monitor and acknowledge their own feelings accept them and continue to do the task at hand? Isnt that a bettter way

I feel I look at it and see a solution whereby people just realise they need to behave or have the best tools to do the job in hand to the standard required. I do not see it as having to adopt a persona as such, maybe its the same thing with a different tag?

I know people who work in frontline very stressful jobs and adopt professional hats , yet all express to the point whereby its visible that they themselves are personally affected by it, despited the use of personas in place . A kind of post traumatic stress disorder if you like, but could this not be a disorder but rather a quite orderly and a very human reaction to be feeling these things?

I will approach this from a different angle, and see if any similarities arise:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persona

And more importantly,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persona#The_Persona_in_psychology

The Persona in psychology
The persona is also the mask or appearance one presents to the world. It may appear in dreams under various guises (see Carl Jung and his psychology). Importantly, the persona, used in this sense, is not a pose or some other intentional misrepresentation of the self to others. Rather, it is, as it were, the self as self-construed, and may change according to situation and context.

Also very relevant:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archetypal_psychology

Archetypal psychology
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Archetypal psychology was developed by James Hillman in the second half of the 20th century. It is in the Jungian tradition and most directly related to Analytical psychology, yet departs radically. Archetypal psychology relativizes and deliteralizes the ego and focuses on the psyche, or soul, itself and the archai, the deepest patterns of psychic functioning, "the fundamental fantasies that animate all life" (Moore, in Hillman, 1991). Archetypal psychology is a polytheistic psychology, in that it attempts to recognize the myriad fantasies and myths- gods, goddesses, demigods, mortals and animals- that shape and are shaped by our psychological lives. The ego is but one psychological fantasy within an assemblage of fantasies.

So, the big question is:

Are we really just dreaming, or fooling ourselves, so as to speak?

Nice post cyof, I sense that psychology can lead one into a massive head trip and to be honest one lot of people can show evidence for how things are then ,ohh lookie here another lot equal in number say up your heres our evidence to state counter to your point.

the whole area of psycho study of humans and the mind seems to be a very clear shade of grey at this point. Doji of the mind.

My personal gut sense is that this area of study is very primitive at best by those who undertake it.

And i still sit with the question

"Persona's why adopt them, who are we kidding and why the need?"

why not total conscious absolute awareness of acceptance of how we are or have chosen to conduct our lives.

Further perhaps we could argue that personas are for individuals who are not entirely happy with what it is they are doing, like a kind of drug to ease the conscious mind, numb themselves, block emotion (their true feelings) of the events that may encounter ,whether they are stuck in an office or at the pub or taking on the markets etc.

Again further , why not ask people . "Heres what you may encounter. No personas needed do you still want to do this ?"

Surely if people need to adopt a persona then they are perhaps sniffing up the wrong tree counter to their natural inner yearnings or lack of knowing direction they seek for themselves?

Charlton said:
As as I said above we choose them every day. I would say it is bad to hold your persona because it requires energy to keep it in place.
Thanks for your interest and good trading

Charlton

OK again and im focusing on this, if it requires energy to keep it in place,the persona, then doesn't that potential fact add weight to the fact that it may indeed be beneficial to adopt a stance of choosing NO persona, but total conscious self awareness acceptance whilst pursuing whatever task we seek to achieve.

This will result in maximum energy available ,including trading pursuits becasue the persona energy demand is not met (because that cost doesnt need to be paid) on the account that the individual has chosen to not adopt a persona rather accept or demand that they are best experienceing the experience knowing that it or their personality will be able to adapt to the fluid situations as they arise becasuse they or their inner self has accepted responsibility to deal with any situations, perhaps governed by the awareness of basic human ability. That quality which all humans possess, to adapt and change if they choose to.

If people are not making progress after a reasonable amount of time study, likely to be I guess = to a year or 3 of intense focus or study on the subject of trading then it may well be due some other psychological block preventing the individual from progress and nothing at all to do with persona's or rather the lack of adopting one.

Can members put forward a persona type suitable to trading? A list of attributes. (or is there a text book theory of ideal persona,specifically for trading ?

This isnt a trick question but im looking at what people feel the ideal persona needs to be in order for people to bolster their own individual success % .

Legion said:
Nice post cyof, I sense that psychology can lead one into a massive head trip and to be honest one lot of people can show evidence for how things are then ,ohh lookie here another lot equal in number say up your heres our evidence to state counter to your point.

the whole area of psycho study of humans and the mind seems to be a very clear shade of grey at this point. Doji of the mind.

My personal gut sense is that this area of study is very primitive at best by those who undertake it.

why not total conscious absolute awareness of acceptance of how we are or have chosen to conduct our lives.

Further perhaps we could argue that personas are for individuals who are not entirely happy with what it is they are doing, like a kind of drug to ease the conscious mind, numb themselves, block emotion (their true feelings) of the events that may encounter ,whether they are stuck in an office or at the pub or taking on the markets etc.

Again further , why not ask people . "Heres what you may encounter. No personas needed do you still want to do this ?"

Surely if people need to adopt a persona then they are perhaps sniffing up the wrong tree counter to their natural inner yearnings or lack of knowing direction they seek for themselves?

Because we always want others to think that we are better than what we are. Internet forums are an ideal medium for this Walter Mitty attitude. The need to do this? Personal ego., the need to be looked up to.

Splitlink said:
Because we always want others to think that we are better than what we are. Internet forums are an ideal medium for this Walter Mitty attitude. The need to do this? Personal ego., the need to be looked up to.

Hmm peer approval pressure, at the end of the day people should drive to please themselves.
Not easy to do I expect for many because of pressures or others demands are projected perhaps onto us constantly (mainly, by a big %)

The need to be looked up to? Perhaps its the need (quite rightly so? ) to be accepted for themselves as themselves by all others.

I guess it can spin off into many branches, I mean if a person feels the need of wanting to be looked upto (and I assume much more beyond being looked up to as a positive role model) then I can see how this may go all the way back to a persons childhood .

A bit on the forums , we have to be careful as a posters main Intent (handy skill) can often not be seen because of tone and body language are missing from the conversations as we humans will fill in huge blanks, maybe to support our own bias beliefs systems .

I was peeling off on personas slighlty? Anyhow could we say that a persona is suitable to use by traders who are not yet in possession of the knowledge skills required to become successful at the trading task? Purely whilst building the skill base needed.

Still i think :) the direction of learning would need to be very structured/guided, in which case why the need for a persona ?

If as most do embark with little or no guideance and learn by reaction to errors and this can take some years I guess then maybe a specific persona would be beneficial to help limit emotional trauma which may hinder the logical brain.

Like I mentioned before on another thread the emotional always governs the logical (according to some brain expert, makes sense for survival instincts of old) , but apparently the logical part of the brain is evolving further for humans. Although looking round the planet its hard to see any great evidence of this yet.

Legion said:
Hmm peer approval pressure, at the end of the day people should drive to please themselves.
Not easy to do I expect for many because of pressures or others demands are projected perhaps onto us constantly (mainly, by a big %)

The need to be looked up to? Perhaps its the need (quite rightly so? ) to be accepted for themselves as themselves by all others.

I guess it can spin off into many branches, I mean if a person feels the need of wanting to be looked upto (and I assume much more beyond being looked up to as a positive role model) then I can see how this may go all the way back to a persons childhood .

A bit on the forums , we have to be careful as a posters main Intent (handy skill) can often not be seen because of tone and body language are missing from the conversations as we humans will fill in huge blanks, maybe to support our own bias beliefs systems .

I was peeling off on personas slighlty? Anyhow could we say that a persona is suitable to use by traders who are not yet in possession of the knowledge skills required to become successful at the trading task? Purely whilst building the skill base needed.

Still i think :) the direction of learning would need to be very structured/guided, in which case why the need for a persona ?

If as most do embark with little or no guideance and learn by reaction to errors and this can take some years I guess then maybe a specific persona would be beneficial to help limit emotional trauma which may hinder the logical brain.

Like I mentioned before on another thread the emotional always governs the logical (according to some brain expert, makes sense for survival instincts of old) , but apparently the logical part of the brain is evolving further for humans. Although looking round the planet its hard to see any great evidence of this yet.

Yours is a long post and I can only cover so much at once-- getting on, you know :) .

Quite often we cannot be ourselves because of duty to family and other people. To be one's self may necessitate a lack of feeling for others and so the only release from that is a Walter Mitty attitude. Daydreaming on buses and pretending to be what one is not. To be oneself and be happy with the result could mean hardening one's heart to to one's parents by emigrating, for example and, if we cannot do these things because we are too softhearted, then we may turn ourselves into different personalities in other places and pretend to be what we, really, would wish to be if given free rein.

If a person is as described above, then he could well seek to be admired by others, by telling fictitious stories about himself and, even worse, by inventing some divine presence with whom he is constant communication.

As you say, body language is absent on a forum. But that does not matter to the type of person that I am describing. It only matters to the one reading the post and trying to decide whether what he is reading is worth reading or not.

Split

Legion said:

Before one can understand anything of real value, one must first understand oneself.

For one who is of a doubting mind:

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. For by it the elders obtained a good testimony. By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible"

Socrates spoke of the magician, and how the performance that he puts on will suit the audience. Are we all not magicians of one sort or another?

Do we all not fool people the majority of the time, and do we realise that, by this silly act of fooling people, we are in fact, only fooling ourselves?

I have spoke before about knowing The Truth, but, I may have not mentioned that in order to know The Truth, one must speak what they believe to be the truth, as they see it now. For to lie to others, is only to lie to oneself, and to lie to oneself, well, need I say any more on this subject.

One can adopt any persona they so wish, providing the means are just and in accordance with a truthful desired outcome. As an example, during the atrocities of the second world war, and the extermination of the Jews by the Nazis, many Jews, HAD to adopt a false persona, else they were to die as their many fellow men.

Likewise, if one adopts a false persona, for the better of mankind, then that will be fine, as the end result is for a just means. Sometimes it is necessary to fight evil with evil, and there is no problem with this what so ever.

In relation to releasing energy for trading, or, if I may put it another way, having a clear understanding of the GAME, then one may find that in order to be truly successful one has to get inside the head of the ones who have the most say, and, in most cases, the ones who have the most say, are in no way worried about the troubles of the world, so, in order to "beat them at their own game" so as to speak, one has to become them, and this may involve learning their habits and traits, but, as we always know what our true objective is, we never have to worry, as we are, in effect, justifying the means to an end.

Last edited:
Likewise, if one adopts a false persona, for the better of mankind, then that will be fine, as the end result is for a just means. Sometimes it is necessary to fight evil with evil, and there is no problem with this what so ever.

CYOF

Could you give us an example of someone who has done that, please? i.e. Someone who has adopted a persona for the betterment of mankind.

Split.

CYOF said:
Before one can understand anything of real value, one must first understand oneself.

For one who is of a doubting mind:

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. For by it the elders obtained a good testimony. By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible"

Socrates spoke of the magician, and how the performance that he puts on will suit the audience. Are we all not magicians of one sort or another?

Do we all not fool people the majority of the time, and do we realise that, by this silly act of fooling people, we are in fact, only fooling ourselves?

I have spoke before about knowing The Truth, but, I may have not mentioned that in order to know The Truth, one must speak what they believe to be the truth, as they see it now. For to lie to others, is only to lie to oneself, and to lie to oneself, well, need I say any more on this subject.

One can adopt any persona they so wish, providing the means are just and in accordance with a truthful desired outcome. As an example, during the atrocities of the second world war, and the extermination of the Jews by the Nazis, many Jews, HAD to adopt a false persona, else they were to die as their many fellow men.

In relation to releasing energy for trading, or, if I may put it another way, having a clear understanding of the GAME, then one may find that in order to be truly successful one has to get inside the head of the ones who have the most say, and, in most cases, the ones who have the most say, are in no way worried about the troubles of the world, so, in order to "beat them at their own game" so as to speak, one has to become them, and this may involve learning their habits and traits, but, as we always know what our true objective is, we never have to worry, as we are, in effect, justifying the means to an end.

The man who popularised the term philosopher, SOCRATES influenced philosophy so much that all previous thinkers have come to be known as Pre-socrates. Despite this he declared "All I know is that I know nothing".

You sounding more like SOCRATES by the day

Well Split, as it would be wrong of me to judge other people on such an important subject, I can only speak for myself.

I have adopted, and will continue to adopt, as many false personae as required, in order to fulfil my purpose.

And even more, I will actually spend money if I think it is warranted, for the end result is all that matters.

Many will always have selfish reasons for doing what they do, and this is not always the best way to approach things.

There is a big difference in speaking what one believes to be the truth, and what appears to be the reality of things to others.

Lies, misrepresentation of facts, misdirection, and many more wrong things, are indeed a part of everyday life. To dismiss these would indeed be a bad move, and might well lead one to not act in ones own best interests.

If you are going to live amongst wolves, then you must learn how to think like wolves.

And in order to think like wolves, you may have to behave like them, so that you can understand their habits. By understanding their habits, you may then well be able to anticipate what they will do next - for wolves do indeed act on intuition, albeit form a cunning standpoint for the majority of the times, but, this is their nature, and we must realise that in order to live with them.

I would call this; a fact of life.