Reduce the Repetiton of 'Basic' Questions & Threads

New members will be required to read the FAQ's page & specific threads before being allowed to post

• Excellent idea

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Good idea

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Not fussed

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Bad idea

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters

timsk

Legendary member
We were all new to trading and to T2W once. Many new members aren't experienced traders and join the site hoping to gain ideas and information from those who are. This is all well and good, however, it does mean that the same basic questions and threads get repeated ad nauseam. The following is fictional, but illustrates the point:

'I'm new to trading and don't know where to start. What software do I need and how much start up capital will I require? Which broker do you recommend and which instruments should I trade? Which Spread Betting firm has the tightest spreads and which indicators work best?'

These are all reasonable questions, but if newbies spent a little more time on the site before asking them, they would find that most have been asked already - and answered in detail. So, before being allowed to post for the first time, the suggestion is that all new members be required to read the FAQ's page and certain threads that cover most of the basics.

Tim.

Something on the front page that points newbies in the direction of the lab and certain threads would certainly help. I know when I first looked at this site I didn't really look around properly and realise where all those nagging Q&A's could be found.

Last edited:
Here I am, stuck in the middle . . .
Spot on Chris, I had the same experience.
.............................................................................................................................................................................

To avoid any misunderstandings, I wish to emphasise that I'm not 'Newbie Bashing' here. The idea would, IMO, be helpful to them as well as ensuring that threads and questions aren't repeated unnecessarily.
Tim.

It'll be a written examination next !!!

Actually the standard of spelling on this site is abysmal and p*isses me off more than repetitive postings.

Sharky and his gang should phone up all new members and give them a surprise spelling test.

If the potential member can't spell 10 basic words, he, she or it is out.

I fink thatz a grate sujjestchun.

Last edited:
Test

Salty Gibbon said:
It'll be a written examination next !!!

Actually the standard of spelling on this site is abysmal and p*isses me off more than repetitive postings.

Sharky and his gang should phone up all new members and give them a surprise spelling test.

If the potential member can't spell 10 basic words, he, she or it is out.

I fink thatz a grate sujjestchun.

Instant ban for those who cannot differentiate between:

"Losing trade or Loosing trade"
:cheesy:

Thanks for that spelling ideas guys!

Of course, those of use who have a problem with dyslexia may as well leave now. Things like "Losing trade or Loosing trade" is a real problem when your mind can't tell that there is a problem and your spell checker clears it as OK.

Maybe we should also ban everyone who doesn't speak English as their first language.

And those who are aspiring traders but can't communicate in words that well.

Wadya reckon?

...and I think we should ban (and probably neuter) everyone who over reacts to a simple post - if there's one thing that really makes my blood boil it's some freakin' dipstick who gets all het up about fracking trivia!
Shoot the bloody lot of 'em, I say!

Singed,
Tobias J Choleric,
Col (Retd)

On a slightly more serious note - "commercial suicide" is the phrase that springs to mind - don't you want Sharky to go full time on the site and give up the burger van and minicabbing?

Look, have the mods or someone (not me, I have a life - best bet would be someone with a degree or better in anal retention) patrol the site, or have a 'newbie alert' button the rest of the photgenic types who are already members could press, and the offending post could then be treated to some sort of automated response/pointer to the right direction... or to put it another way I think the 'knowledge Lab' articles are meant to do this - we just need to point newbies the right way.

If you stick even the teensiest hurdle in the way, then you will put off 101.9898% of the 'wonder what this site looks like' market - and I'd be amazed if 'total viewers onsite per month' isn't a significant factor in funding T2W... we all enjoy T2W as a result of it being economically viable - it is viable not because of the wisdom and overall good looks of its members, but because there are 30 odd thoudsand of them. Anything that is likely to reduce numbers is, frankly, a non-starter.

Dave

Thanks Neil for the pop, re-slapping accepted!

However, the spell check does not work and to spell check I now type in Word before posting. T2W webmaster, you are welcome to comment, maybe its my machine?

Even if the T2W buttons worked then (the very common) losing vs. loosing would still not be picked up.

HOWEVER, I remember in my younger days a certain boss (incompetent and incontinent) could find nothing wrong with junior engineers reports so he resorted to grammar and spelling as a basis for rejection. That p'd me off intensely as it showed a command of language not the subject matter, we were eager to learn engineering not language!

Strike a balance, intolerance of spelling is not a reason for flaming (not directed at you Neil) but stupid and irrelevant comments are a waste of everybody’s time.

We are all here to either learn trading basics or more sophistication from each other.

If one asks a question it is reasonable politeness to answer with education (in its broadest form) or not post at all.

Over the months I have found that many members post to gain points not to share.

Now that really pisses me off!

Spleen vented, have a good weekend all.

Dave

What's all this about a trading system based on the spell-checker ?

I think a number of newbie posts are as much to do with wanting to establish communication with others as getting an answer to a question. Perhaps too, many such posters are quite young and relate 'group wise' — ask a buddy — rather than those having been overtaken by old age and turned into self-reliant curmudgeons. As well, today many more newbies are people for whom English is a second or third language and again, perhaps dialogue is as important as answers.

A message directing the new member to a FAQ forum/page/pdf may be helpful, but it won't eliminate newbie questions; I believe newbie posts shouldn't be deterred, they're a fact of life like buttered bread always falling butter side down, eliminating such posts would make a very disappointing and dry forum.

What's all this about a trading system based on the spell-checker ?

How can you possibly hope to be a successful trader without a good spell checker to give you that vital edge ?

The ability to spell is a pre-requisite to successful trading so all you newbies out there, please go to spelling school before you even attempt to put real money on the line.

Having English as a first language is irrelevant, just learn to spell in your own language first and then progress slowly to the Queen's English.

Edge is everything in trading and if you have that spelling edge, you have a jump start on the vast array of imbeciles who cannot even spell loser ( dyslexics excepted of course to suit our dyslexic and politically correct pals - Paddy ).

If there is anyone out there who does not know what " edge" means , then I suggest you pm a very kindly person named Socrates who will put you straight in about 339 easy lessons.

Failing that you can always contact Lady Davejb who is a real dame and will sort you out one way or the other sweety.

Salty,
what a devil you are for mixing! Kenwood have nothing on you - Soc will require far more than 339 lessons bless him, and there will be nothing easy about them. Anyway, what's this 'dailysex' thing you are advertising?

DaveJB said:
Salty,
what a devil you are for mixing! Kenwood have nothing on you - Soc will require far more than 339 lessons bless him, and there will be nothing easy about them. Anyway, what's this 'dailysex' thing you are advertising?

Good evening Mrs Dave.

I tend to agree about Soc. Maybe it would be about 789 extremely arduous lessons, rising to about 1478 after failing your exam and having to do re-sits.

As for "dailysex", I think it has something to do with shagging and not being able to spell while you're doing it.

All in my exceedingly humble opinion of course - and we all know that humble is what we need to be in front of the market, don't we children ?

Smirk...... :devilish: