RED and BLUE

ale

There have been many questions about the T2W price feed - here's another one.
Just logged in to add to my share comp portfolio and noticed that one stock I bought yesterday (NOP) seems to have fallen.
Bid 57, Ask 61, Open 59 are all as expected from checking with other sources.
BUT it also says that Chg Today is -1.93 (-3.22%).
Two other sources show not one iota of movement so how can T2W show a 3% loss????
Ale
:confused:

.. and 2 hours later, having had it show as -4.5% for a while, it's now showing +0.63% whilst other sources agree it is actually -0.5%.
What is happening?
Does anyone have confidence in the T2W prices?
Ale

Hi Ale,

I've taken a look at the share, and the reason your getting confused is because of the way that we currently determine the change. Rather than based on the 'mid-price' we base it on the 'last trade'. Have a look at the current quotes for NOP:

Prev close: 60
Current Bid/Ask: 56/61
Last Trade: 57.25
Change Today: -2.75 (-4.58%)

But regardless of the 'Change Today', the actual profit/loss quoted will be determined by what you would get if you exited the position. Hence on a long, it would take the Bid, and on a short, the Ask. So as long as the bid/ask are correct, it really doesn't matter what the change today is. Perhaps we should update to use the mid price, that would clear up all the confusion - any comments?

Thanks for the clarification.
I'm surprised that I have never noticed this effect before.
If most other sources use the mid price then perhaps T2W should also.
It would smooth out the swings as noted here - it is odd to have the Change Today figures contrary to the profit calculation.
I suppose it depends on what people use the figure for. I tend to use the % change values on T2W as a guide when I have no other source open as to whether I need to consider closure.

Yeah agreed - I'll schedule some time to update it to be based on the mid price.