recommendations for a broker to tade US stocks in the UK

ArielMax

just to ask the above really. I want to purchase and hold US stocks and need a broker / dealer. I might also enter into CFDs on the stock that I hold. Any recommendations.

I am looking at E*Trade and Charles Schwabb at the moment and would welcome any other suitable names.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

AM

Is there no one out there that wants my business?

I have trying to open an account to just trade US stocks and it seems that no one wants my money.

All I want to do is have a very basic account with costs as low as possible. I do not need research, regular reports o anything else. I JUST WANT TO BUY SOME US SHARES!

I tired etrade and they told me that I got one of their qiestions wrong so they said that they would not open an account for me.

I tried TD waterhouse and they refused me based upon incorrect information about me on my credit report (at least it highlighted the issue for me so I am in theprocess of getting that fixed.)

It seems almost impossible to open an account anywhere.

Can anyone point me to someone who actually wants my business?

Many thanks.

Is there no one out there that wants my business?

I have trying to open an account to just trade US stocks and it seems that no one wants my money.

All I want to do is have a very basic account with costs as low as possible. I do not need research, regular reports o anything else. I JUST WANT TO BUY SOME US SHARES!

I tired etrade and they told me that I got one of their qiestions wrong so they said that they would not open an account for me.

I tried TD waterhouse and they refused me based upon incorrect information about me on my credit report (at least it highlighted the issue for me so I am in theprocess of getting that fixed.)

It seems almost impossible to open an account anywhere.

Can anyone point me to someone who actually wants my business?

Many thanks.

I think an online broker will do for you.
You could check out
www. Scottrade.com
www. Just2Trade.com
www. LowTrades.com
www. ChoiceTrade.com

I use Online Trading - TD AMERITRADE - Online Stock Trading and Investing and love them, nice flat $10 fees makes things simple.

Don't understand why they have a uk site where stock trading is 18 pounds whilst the us version you get it for 9 dollars. Surely the person who wrote this opened an account when td ameritrade did not have an international uk website, Im assuming. Unless for some crazy reason we have the choice to open an account in usd or gbp, which I very much doubt.

I would like to trade stocks with td ameritrade on 9 dollar commission as a uk citizen, but not open a uk account to pay the astronomous commsission of 20 gbp highlighted above. Has anyone successfully done this.

Im also wanting to put $2000 into an account to use their platform with quotetracker and I don't know is they ask for a larger minimum deposit in gbp. Anyone know anything?

Don't understand why they have a uk site where stock trading is 18 pounds whilst the us version you get it for 9 dollars. Surely the person who wrote this opened an account when td ameritrade did not have an international uk website, Im assuming. Unless for some crazy reason we have the choice to open an account in usd or gbp, which I very much doubt.

I would like to trade stocks with td ameritrade on 9 dollar commission as a uk citizen, but not open a uk account to pay the astronomous commsission of 20 gbp highlighted above. Has anyone successfully done this.

Im also wanting to put $2000 into an account to use their platform with quotetracker and I don't know is they ask for a larger minimum deposit in gbp. Anyone know anything?
need be careful when trying to trade usa stocks if you trade more than about 3 stock bets a day most broker flag you up as a day trader then you need more $$ in your account. think these are usa gov rules .Once an investor has started buying a stock on margin, the NYSE and FINRA require that a minimum amount of equity be maintained in the investor's margin account. These rules require investors to have at least 25 percent of the total market value of the securities they own in their margin account. This is called the maintenance margin. For market participants identified as pattern day traders, the maintenance margin requirement is a minimum of $25,000 (or 25% of the total market value of the securities, whichever is higher)

need be careful when trying to trade usa stocks if you trade more than about 3 stock bets a day most broker flag you up as a day trader then you need more $$ in your account. think these are usa gov rules .Once an investor has started buying a stock on margin, the NYSE and FINRA require that a minimum amount of equity be maintained in the investor's margin account. These rules require investors to have at least 25 percent of the total market value of the securities they own in their margin account. This is called the maintenance margin. For market participants identified as pattern day traders, the maintenance margin requirement is a minimum of $25,000 (or 25% of the total market value of the securities, whichever is higher)

thats correct, I know 90% of what you said with regard to PDT. I know I won't be buying or selling more than three a day with the same broker, I hope to hold for a few days, or possibly weeks for which I believe I have to consider overnight charges which I assume are quite minimal. Yes I won't be a PDT, at least with the same broker for different stocks; I will most likely use different brokers If I was intent on trading more than one stock at a time.

For margin I know td ameritrade require the $2000 deposit and there are one or two other brokers that don't consider the PDT too seriously; I'm not sure which ones.

I am still basically screening us international brokers and uk brokers for the best commission and deal based on a number of things, namely: platform fee, intraday historic download (1minute-5minute), mobile trades, reserve shorts without margin, minimum deposit, platform fee and cpu drainage.

interactive brokers is out of the question as I can't afford the deposit(10k). So I'm looking at going with td ameritrade as my primary platform through quotetracker with level 2. Then having something like suretrade and charles schwab and / or e-trade. Then maybe somewhere I can have a really low commission buyer like selftrade.co.uk or sharebuilder.com.

So if I have 2 3 or 4 brokers. Throw about $4000 to $5000 usd in minimum deposits to inactivity fees(if they apply), then I'll be sorted.

Im only going to be trading the nasdaq and nyse, stocks btw. So if anyone wants to throw me another pointer, I can give you credit or something. I'm not too familiar with the forum

Last edited: