realistic crude trading size

crude_lover

Realistically in crude what sort of size do you reckon you could get away with buying or selling all at one price. I dont mean the largest size you've seen go through i mean more like realistically what size can you get away with doing.

Realistically in crude what sort of size do you reckon you could get away with buying or selling all at one price. I dont mean the largest size you've seen go through i mean more like realistically what size can you get away with doing.

Nymex has a position limit of 20,000 contracts in any one/all months. I think you should be able to do 500 to 1,000 limit order with no problem.

Not my problem, I just do one contract and I add another one later if price goes my way. So far I had no problems getting a fill:)

Alex

Some enormous orders go through the NYMEX every once in a while in the order of thousands of contracts, probably from oil companies or physical hedgers of one sort or another.

The volume and open interest on NYMEX crude is phenomenal, I don't think you'll have too many problems getting a fill.

I have often done 100lot clips in nymex crude in the afternoon without more than 1tick slip.

i dont trade energies at the mo' but i know some heavy weights who work for vitoil in geneva. their view is that the order book consists of mostly iceberg orders so you may only see a few 10's in the book but you have no idea what is sitting behind that - what the real liquidity is.

I also know a guy who does algorithmic arbitrage in the oil markets, regularly doing 5% of the daily volume. He doesnt float any bids or offers, but if you posted some size, or swept a few prices to push the outright out of line against the calendars or the delivery curve, he would take all you could eat, literally. I've watched him do a few thousand in the space of half an hour.

Yeah, it just depends on volume as it seems to change at various times throughout the day. When its really active, I've seen 100-lot or 200-lot orders go through with little or no slippage and then, when its dead, a 50-lot order causes 5-7 ticks slippage. But you can easily trade high volume on NYMEX most of the time.