Real Time Pricing

if by "day" - you mean intraday - no -you need right up to the moment data

and since no one makes money 'swing trading' - i guess the data becomes an irrelevance

but if you are keen to trade and learn to trade - ask everyone all the questions you can think of - and try to get to a point where you feel you know enough to proceed - professional traders tend to all think alike - but you can get a great many views from learners

Hi Anthony

I believe it is possible to daytrade or swing trade using delayed data, but it's not easy.
Which markets are you looking to trade, as there are many free real-time quotes and charts available?

of course its possible to trade using delayed pricing - but get real - what is "its not easy" - it just aint possible at all to make a profit unless you have real time pricing, and that means also combining real time pricing with real tradiing knowledge

you have a real uphill trudge if you are just starting out - dont even think about trying it with delayed data regardless of what any one says

stevet said:
no one makes money 'swing trading'

Steve, you have such strong and sweeping opinions, here as elsewhere, that it's sometimes difficult for anyone else to give a different opinion without the thread turning into an argument :p

I know people who make a living from swing-trading, and so do other members here. :devilish:

Anyway, from my own experience I should only comment on intra-day trading, because it's most of what I do, and opine that nobody should try it without live prices. "Delayed" is simply no good at all.

FTSE Beater,

Do you know a site that offers free real-time streaming of the FTSE 100? Page refreshing is such a drag...

TIA

Alex

Roberto

and your point!

so should i make sure i give the same opinion as everyone else!!

the reason i have strong opinions is that i see a lot of the same old baloney doled out on here that people have read in books etc -and is obviously not from real world trading experience - but that does not mean it is wrong for the people to express and support their beliefs, and it certainly provides a basis for debate

and if two or more people have strong different beliefs - it is liable to turn into a healthy debate that either the debaters learn from or all the other viewers of the debate learn from

as an example, everyone knows 'someone' who makes money from swing trading - and a lot on here claim to make money from swing trading - but trading anything longer than intra-day is the hardest, most difficult way there is to make money in trading - the most dificult by far, which is why professional traders only do longer term trading as an ancillary -not their main trading - and even then its because they have the finger constantly on the pulse

so from my experience i know the above is true - but my opinion is certainly balanced by the opinions of other people on here that claim to be raking it in by just doing a few relaxed trades every now and then - and those people are in the majority on here - so i think my voice in the wilderness may stand out for its different view - but perhaps that is no bad thing

I'm contemplating trading US stocks, because I work 9 to 5 I don’t think I’ll get the opportunity to dedicate the time needed to trade intraday. Because of the time issue I’m leaning towards swing trading.

Do any of you 9 to 5 workers trade intraday?

Anthony24_7 said:
I'm contemplating trading US stocks, because I work 9 to 5 I don’t think I’ll get the opportunity to dedicate the time needed to trade intraday. Because of the time issue I’m leaning towards swing trading.

Do any of you 9 to 5 workers trade intraday?

Anthony

I day trade forex from my desk at work. I use prorealtime.com for live streaming charts and Capital spreads online. Both get past my office firewall which had been an issue in the past.

I watch four pairs and look to nick 10 -15pips generally twice a day, using basic chart pattern analysis, and support & resistance.

Dave1971

Thanks barjon, I already have web pages that auto-refresh, but it's not the same as a streaming chart.

Alex