Real time chart, Volumn/OBV on any SB platform?

Gob00st

Hi Guys,

I am new to SB though I have several year's stock trading experiences.

I have three questions:

1>
I have registered a demo account with E-trader, but I found the chat is like 15 mins
delay in demo account, this make its a bit annoying since the win/lose is still calaculated with real time current price.
I am wondering if the real account instead of demo will provide real time chart?
Or If there is any SB platform(demo or real account) that provide beter real time chart?

2>
I have noticed that there are dozens indictors with E-trader platform ,but i cannot find one of the most important ones in terms of technical analysis - Volumn, not even OBV.
So I am wondering if there is any SB platform that provide volumn or at least OBV.

3>
Can any one please advise what the best SB platform avaialble from UK?

Any input is appreciated.(y)

Cheers
Gob00st

Yes, welcome to the wonderful world of SB.:)

You have to be aware of that SB quote there prices from the underlying asset (or a combination of assets such as with off hours quotes). So in fact you cannot get any useful indicators from the SB platform itself (besides just the charts that is).
So what you have to do is to get an external chart package combined with a price feed linked to the direct market. This way you can get correct information on what drives the SB market prices. If you don't like to invest on an external package try out a free account with one of the MT4 CFDs providers, BrocoTrader is one to be recommended. You can get charts and a lot of useful indicators but it is not as reliable as having a direct market access price feed, but at least it is better than what you get from the SB platform.

My favorite SB's at the moment is ggmarkets and Dealingdesk, the later gives a demo which do not quote the same narrow spread as the live account. Both these SB demos gives you real-time prices.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Yes, welcome to the wonderful world of SB.:)

You have to be aware of that SB quote there prices from the underlying asset (or a combination of assets such as with off hours quotes). So in fact you cannot get any useful indicators from the SB platform itself (besides just the charts that is).
So what you have to do is to get an external chart package combined with a price feed linked to the direct market. This way you can get correct information on what drives the SB market prices. If you don't like to invest on an external package try out a free account with one of the MT4 CFDs providers, BrocoTrader is one to be recommended. You can get charts and a lot of useful indicators but it is not as reliable as having a direct market access price feed, but at least it is better than what you get from the SB platform.

My favorite SB's at the moment is ggmarkets and Dealingdesk, the later gives a demo which do not quote the same narrow spread as the live account. Both these SB demos gives you real-time prices.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply. It seems I need those to get useful indicator like volumns :
1> External chart package
2> Price feed linked to the direct market

And it sounds like MT4 CFDs providers and BrocoTrader are alternative way of getting the same effect ? Though not as good as the combination suggestion.
Could you kindly advised me some good external chart package and price feed? If possible are there any free ones?

Many Thanks
Gob00st

Thanks for your reply. It seems I need those to get useful indicator like volumns :
1> External chart package
2> Price feed linked to the direct market

And it sounds like MT4 CFDs providers and BrocoTrader are alternative way of getting the same effect ? Though not as good as the combination suggestion.
Could you kindly advised me some good external chart package and price feed? If possible are there any free ones?

Many Thanks
Gob00st
Nothing beats having information directly from the real market. The MT4 charts takes the information from the futures, so you have a accurate chart on the movement of the real market. However, you will not get the real volume such as Time&Sales which is important to observe the expected price action. I don't use in my trading, the charts delivered by the SB companies. There is a free version of NinjaTrader, which can be linked to a exchange price feed, this way you can save money not having to invest in a charting package. I believe Mirusfutures have got a month trial if you would like to have a look at it.

Nothing beats having information directly from the real market. The MT4 charts takes the information from the futures, so you have a accurate chart on the movement of the real market. However, you will not get the real volume such as Time&Sales which is important to observe the expected price action. I don't use in my trading, the charts delivered by the SB companies. There is a free version of NinjaTrader, which can be linked to a exchange price feed, this way you can save money not having to invest in a charting package. I believe Mirusfutures have got a month trial if you would like to have a look at it.

Thanks very much for your quick reply ! So do you mean Mirus futures offers a free month trial of live price feed and I can use the always free NinjaTrader to receive it?

Regards,
Gob00st

You will need to get another cahrt package that links to the underlying market. There is no volume behind a spread price.

Thanks very much for your quick reply ! So do you mean Mirus futures offers a free month trial of live price feed and I can use the always free NinjaTrader to receive it?

Regards,
Gob00st
Yes, I have tried it a year back, extremly fast feed. You just download the free Ninjatrader and in the setup link it with Zenfire exchange feed. In fact you get access to most of the futures during the trial period. Warning though, you will miss it after the end of the trial period.:)

You will need to get another cahrt package that links to the underlying market. There is no volume behind a spread price.

Thanks for the reply , but are you suggestion that NinjaTrader is not a chart package that links the underlying market? If not , can you recommend one please?

Many thanks
Gob00st

Yes, I have tried it a year back, extremly fast feed. You just download the free Ninjatrader and in the setup link it with Zenfire exchange feed. In fact you get access to most of the futures during the trial period. Warning though, you will miss it after the end of the trial period.:)

Cool, I will definitely give it go! Thanks.
So there is no free live feed that could be used with NinjaTrader(or any other package)?

Regards,
Glb00st

Cool, I will definitely give it go! Thanks.
So there is no free live feed that could be used with NinjaTrader(or any other package)?

Regards,
Glb00st
Not to my knowledge, there used to be a site that provided YM future (Dow) feed for free, but they closed it down. A lot of traders sign up with IB (Interactive Brokers), and you will get free access to the most common futures exchange price feed. Then link the free version of Ninjatrader (Simulation mode) to the IB feed. However, you have to keep IB active by doing a few trades a month and keep your account above $500. Also it might be worth looking into Mirus futures, after the trial period ended. I have read a lot of good reviews about this company.

Last edited:
Not to my knowledge, there used to be a site that provided YM future (Dow) feed for free, but they closed it down. A lot of traders sign up with IB (Interactive Brokers), and you will get free access to the most common futures exchange price feed. Then link the free version of Ninjatrader (Simulation mode) to the IB feed. However, you have to keep IB active by doing a few trades a month and keep your account above $500. Also it might be worth looking into Mirus futures, after the trial period ended. I have read a lot of good reviews about this company.

Thanks for your suggestion, really appreciate it.(y)
I will definitely consider both

Hi gel101, I have been trying to register a IB, but it says:

Welcome to the IB electronic registration system. Our accounts are geared towards professional traders and investors, and we require the following for all customers:

Does this mean IB have upgrade the requirement from $500 to $10,000 ?

Many Thanks
Gob00st

Hi gel101, I have been trying to register a IB, but it says:

Welcome to the IB electronic registration system. Our accounts are geared towards professional traders and investors, and we require the following for all customers:

Does this mean IB have upgrade the requirement from $500 to $10,000 ?

Many Thanks
Gob00st
Not really, IB seems to have increased the minimum deposit to setup an account. I guess, you can trade for or withdraw money, but a minimum of $500 have to left on the account, in order to use their free feed service. Have a look at Mirus to find out what they offer in this regard. In general, setting up an account with a futures broker demands a lot higher deposit compared to SB.

I did have a quick look at Mirus. Apparently you can open an account with a minimum deposit of $2500, this is not much. Also the margin requirements for day trading the futures is very low, $500 (overnight positions much higher). The commission is as I understand requested.
Beware, with all respect, if you don't know how this works, you are probably not yet ready for trading the futures.

I did have a quick look at Mirus. Apparently you can open an account with a minimum deposit of $2500, this is not much. Also the margin requirements for day trading the futures is very low, $500 (overnight positions much higher). The commission is as I understand requested.
Beware, with all respect, if you don't know how this works, you are probably not yet ready for trading the futures.

Thanks for your advice and I will stay away from future for now :)(y)
Cheers
Gob00st