Quick question fellas, I have to choose between two jobs

DavidCarpentier

Hi all,

I have to choose between two jobs:

One is a entry level risk analyst position at a reasonably well known investment bank.
The other is a trading position with MET Traders.

Now im in a dilemma as to which one to go for. You see, my ultimate goal is to be a trader at an investment bank (and go for the big money). If i choose the MET Traders role, it will be hard to get into investment bank afterwards, wont it? Also, if i go for the risk analst position, is there more chance that i could become a trader this way?

I know there are some experienced fellas (and ladies) on this board here and I would be grateful if anyone could help. What would you recommend and why?

Any feedback/help appreciated

Cheers,
Dave

David,

May I suggest looking for these names on T2W: NQR, Dashing Blade and Arbitrageur?

If none reply to your post, consider sending them a pm. They are helpful, experienced/knowledgeable and friendly (that’s a pint off each of you).

Well done, mate, and good luck in your career.

Grant.

David,
May I suggest looking for these names on T2W: NQR, Dashing Blade and Arbitrageur?
David,
I think Grant may have meant TWI (as opposed to T2W). I compiled my own list (just as Grant has) and TWI is on my list! Other peeps who might help to point you in the right direction are 'GammerJammer' and 'china white' although he (cw) rarely posts these days, so you'll have to e-mail or PM him.
Good luck - many here would envy your dilemma!
Tim.

Timsk,

I meant T2W – Trade2win. Not to worry. I certainly agree with your TWI recommendation. I hope those worthy of inclusion but omitted due to oversight don’t take offence (course they won’t).

David,

“Hope they don’t mind”. If they do, blame Timsk, not me.

Grant

just out of interest, what are you guys' opinions?

maybe youre not experience as the above mentioned guys but still probably more experienced than me...

Bottom line & cutting straight to the executive summary : Go for the risk analyst role.

Purely on the basis of getting a skill set that you can fall back on under your belt first and to get a feel for the City and how it works.

Having the chance to observe traders in their natural habitat may also alter your "ultimate goal"

You're correct, little chance of going from risk -> trading tho' at the IB.

“Hope they don’t mind”. If they do, blame Timsk, not me.
:cheesy:
I've got broad shoulders, I can take it.

David - I couldn't possibly comment as I know nothing about the rarified world of IB's or MET Traders. The people mentioned in our respective lists are all (I think) familiar with the pro' trading arena and, IMO, their comments would be well worth listening to.
Tim.

David,

As DB says, go for the analyst role.

The sharp-end of trading may appear sexy but how many go in at the deep-end and succeeed straight away? Patience is the key.

I don't doubt Met provides excellent training, etc but a bank has far greater resources, expertise and time to train people without looking at the bottom-line (at least, not immediately). I'm guessing here, but you will probably be exposed to different areas (market-making, treasury, fx, derivatives, portfolio management, etc) - a broader perspective has got to be beneficial.

Who knows, in time you may find your niche outside trading - and be well compensated.
A friend works as a trading attorney for US bank on a base of $500,000 (and this was a few years ago) plus luxury apartment, plus all expenses for him and his family.

Grant.

. . .
Who knows, in time you may find your niche outside trading - and be well compensated.
. . .

Tbh, anyone more than halfway up the food-chain in any department in the top (say) 10 IB's in London will be pulling in around £200k total comp atm